Cadet Orientation Flights

Started by Short Field, January 04, 2010, 10:47:42 PM

Short Field

I recently start helping with O'rides.  One question I can't seem to find an answer to is "how often should a cadet get a O'ride"?   Should I provide Cadet Z with all five powered rides within the first six months of membership?  What are your squadrons doing?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

Several factors...

Do you have access to aircraft on a regular basis, or do you have to make special arrangements to get cadets and planes together? If so, getting them done while you have the resources makes sense.

The age of the cadet is important. I know of cadets who turned 18 without getting all of their flights done. They just never got around to it before it was too late.

My son is 15 and has a couple of flights left. He's in no hurry to complete them, but does the occasional 99 ride in the back seat just to get into the air.

Guess there's no hard and fast rule.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Short Field on January 04, 2010, 10:47:42 PM
I recently start helping with O'rides.  One question I can't seem to find an answer to is "how often should a cadet get a O'ride"?   Should I provide Cadet Z with all five powered rides within the first six months of membership?  What are your squadrons doing?

For me, less flights equals higher priority.  A cadet that burns all five front seat rides would be encouraged to pursue other opportunities and allowed to fly as ballast (back seat) whenever circumstances allow.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Short Field

I have three local CAP airplanes I can schedule.  If they all end up grounded, I have my own C-182 I can fly them in.  If I don't get another pilot to volunteer to fly, I can fly them. 

Wilson #2640

DC

I have seen both, and have found that cadets that do them a little less frequently (say, one front seat ride every quarter, with a few 99 rides inbetween) can enjoy the program longer, and still get the benefit of it. Cadets that burn through all 5 flights quickly are then stuck in the back seat or on the ground while all their buddies are up stil flying. If the cadet is older and can pursue real flight training in the near future, then it is less of an issue.

A balance between too often, but not so far apart that they lose interest is what I have seen work best.

NC Hokie

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 05, 2010, 12:40:15 AM
Do you have access to aircraft on a regular basis, or do you have to make special arrangements to get cadets and planes together? If so, getting them done while you have the resources makes sense.

That's an important consideration in squadrons that don't have their own plane.  Although I'd prefer to space the rides out as much as possible, I have to put the the cadet with four rides in her first year on the schedule if she's the difference between getting the plane or telling everyone else that they won't be flying after all.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Short Field

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 05, 2010, 02:48:53 AM
I have to put the the cadet with four rides in her first year on the schedule if she's the difference between getting the plane or telling everyone else that they won't be flying after all.
Why would that happen?  (something tells me I will not like the answer....)
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on January 05, 2010, 03:48:42 AM
I have to put the the cadet with four rides in her first year on the schedule if she's the difference between getting the plane or telling everyone else that they won't be flying after all.

Despite the assertions by some to the contrary, it can be a real challenge to get cadets to show up, which becomes a downward spiral of pilots not wanting to waste their time scheduling the plane, etc., to show up to an empty hanger.

In most wings you have to have "x" cadets in order to get funding to move the plane (which is not included with the O-Ride reimbursement). 

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

If the pilot says I have to have six cadets to justify a ferry flight to my location and I can't guarantee six cadets he won't come.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Short Field

Seems like it should be the Wing determining if a ferry flight is justified or not, not a pilot.   Thankfully, I don't need to worry about ferry flights.

I had a cadet no-show last week.  The Squadron Commander has decided to suspend cadets from future o'rides if they fail to show up as scheduled and fail to notify the PIC in advance that they cannot make the o'ride.     
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on January 05, 2010, 04:37:48 AM
Seems like it should be the Wing determining if a ferry flight is justified or not, not a pilot.

It is - at least in my wing - but its generally the pilot setting things up and negotiating ferry time with the wing OIC, and telling the commander or whoever that you have to have "x" cadets to justify the ferry.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

I've been appointed group AE and have been assigned to schedule o-rides for my group. I have been given a budget and told that ferry fuel comes out of that budget. It's in my best interest to do as many flights as possible at one time to minimize ferry times. My plan is to pull multiple aircraft and as many cadets as possible to one location to all but eliminate ferry times.

Using my budget and current fuel prices I have about 26 hours of flying that I need to spread over 103 cadets. It looks like I could easily use three aircraft for a full eight hour day of flying and get 24 front seat rides and 48 back seat rides.

With those numbers I can only fly 2/3s of my cadets. Only a quarter of my 103 would get front seat rides.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

Taking into consideration that most cadets last less than a year (ref CAP's 33% 1st year cadet retention rate), I'd say that I would try to "front load" flights so that there are at least 2 or 3 in the first year.  Obviously, getting them this benefit right away might help with retention, but even if they end up non-renewing we've still gotten that kid in the air a few times, so it is still a win as far as I'm concerned. 

Thrashed

CAPP 52-7 says, "Squadron commanders should try to provide each new cadet with an orientation flight within 60 days of joinging CAP.  Squadron commanders should also strive to provide each cadet with at least 1, but preferably 2, flights per year by conducting orientation flight days once per quarter."

I've seen many cadets turn 18 and not finish all their rides.  I'd strive to get them done before age 18, as they cannot do them after turning 18 (see CAPP 52-7).  I push them to get them done as fast as they can, which takes longer than they think.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on January 06, 2010, 03:19:25 AM
I've seen many cadets turn 18 and not finish all their rides. 

Sadly I have met a number of cadets and seniors who went their entire CAP career without ever seeing a CAP plane, let alone riding in one.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I have a 30 on my red service ribbon, and I'm still waiting for my first cadet O-ride.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2010, 03:35:52 AM

Sadly I have met a number of cadets and seniors who went their entire CAP career without ever seeing a CAP plane, let alone riding in one.

I have my MS trainee that expires this year and I have yet to ride in a corporate plane.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

I would spread it out. If you got a cadet all 5 powered O rides in six months, well then what? Keep it exciting for them.

I do think that every cadet should have an  O ride within joining CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2010, 03:35:52 AM

Thats is sad.

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2010, 03:56:27 AM

Despite the assertions by some to the contrary, it can be a real challenge to get cadets to show up, which becomes a downward spiral of pilots not wanting to waste their time scheduling the plane, etc., to show up to an empty hanger.

In most wings you have to have "x" cadets in order to get funding to move the plane (which is not included with the O-Ride reimbursement).

I have never had a problem with cadets showing up for O rides. i guess its different per area, but most cadets in my unit join because they want to fly.