cadet needs D&C before encampment, time is limited suggestions?

Started by mynetdude, November 16, 2009, 06:24:33 PM

Gunner C

"The Army's arm-swing is 9" to the front and 6" to the rear,"

Maybe the Canadian Army.  But the fact remains, officers in comp/cadet squadrons need to be proficient trainers of cadets.

mynetdude

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 16, 2009, 08:13:56 PM
Sure thing, that's why this forum exists.

Also, while her drill may not be perfect, as long as she gets the basics, Encampment should be a beneficial experience that helps her grow into the drill with the help of her flight staff.

Aaaaand the AF link was DOA. http://sq36.cawg.cap.gov/36-2203.pdf

I don't expect perfection from anybody but I expect them to know how to do it, I want to know how to do it but I don't expect and can't be expected to do it perfectly and IMHO if you can't do it just as good as the RM then teaching the cadets is pointless.  If a cadet can do it as good or as close to the RM then a cadet teaching it would be appropriate.

Майор Хаткевич

Drill is not hard to perfect. IF you learn it, improving it is really easy.

It's like riding a bike really. You get it, you start shaky, but eventually you get better.

mynetdude

Quote from: Gunner C on November 16, 2009, 10:03:23 PM
Your unit isn't prepared to teach cadets.  WIWAC the SMs could teach anything in D&C.  You guys need to decide if you are going to train cadets or not.  I'm not scolding but since you're officers in a cadet environment, you need to know the cadet stuff.  If you aren't the masters of THEIR terrain, you'll never have their confidence.

I've gotta tell ya, I would have followed my leaders anywhere back in 1968.  Learn the basics of D&C.  You'll have immediate credibility.

Maybe it would be cool to have a cadet encampment for SMs! :P as in the senior members are the basics (for those who can handle it)

Right now I need to focus on what I can do, in January I'll be looking into pursuing the CoC to have more regular D&C etc but they have already said that is in the works its just a matter of working out the kinks and getting things in place.

Майор Хаткевич

I'm still not sure what is going on with your C/NCOs. Anyone past SSgt should be well on the way to drilling flights, not to mention knowing how to do and instruct basic drill. If your C/NCOs are lacking as well, then it's time to ask for outside assistance. Freeze progression, and try to see if some senior cadets from outside can help on a mini weekend training session.

mynetdude

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 17, 2009, 12:10:28 AM
I'm still not sure what is going on with your C/NCOs. Anyone past SSgt should be well on the way to drilling flights, not to mention knowing how to do and instruct basic drill. If your C/NCOs are lacking as well, then it's time to ask for outside assistance. Freeze progression, and try to see if some senior cadets from outside can help on a mini weekend training session.

Neither am I, but if you can satisfactorily prove you know how to do it (perfect or not) I suppose you could promote, though would it be acceptable? Probably not

Right now I cannot worry about that until January, right now I am trying to get ONE cadet approved for encampment, the rest is history and it might be to her benefit to hold off on encampment to save her some embarrassment.

Getting outside help this late in the process would be great, technically we still have a bit more time. I only have two more Tuesdays to get the CC to sign off on her CAPF31 (even on promotion night).

we technically have 2 Saturdays (of one the CC will not be available for signoffs) available to us, the question is whether or not the CDC and the cadets of knowledge want to pull their heads together and whether or not any of the basics are motivated to even come get the training this short of notice.

I will be revisiting these issues and seeing if there will be any improvement otherwise I will have to reconsider my options along with my sister in the best interest of leadership and quality.

lordmonar

Quote from: mynetdude on November 17, 2009, 12:05:08 AMMaybe it would be cool to have a cadet encampment for SMs! :P as in the senior members are the basics (for those who can handle it)

I don't know if I would go that far.....but I certainly would make the Curry D&C manditory for anyone working on a CP Technician rateing. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on November 17, 2009, 02:03:43 PM
TLC has an optional portion for D&C.

Eclipse should have a video of a 4 x 4 formation of Senior Members drilling at RST from the 2006 Spring Encampment.

jimmydeanno

Each unit should have an instructional DVD provided by National Headquarters from AFROTC that covers basic drill maneuvers.  You can pop it in and learn right in your living room...just sayin'.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 17, 2009, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: MIKE on November 17, 2009, 02:03:43 PM
TLC has an optional portion for D&C.

Eclipse should have a video of a 4 x 4 formation of Senior Members drilling at RST from the 2006 Spring Encampment.

Heh - it's more like a 3.76 x 5.28(ish) formation, but God love-em they were trying!

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

I am relieved we have more time, and I spoke with the CDC this afternoon we're going to get this nailed and hopefully in January things can be better.

I got bombed with a cold, so I almost started to wigg out but thankfully I have GREAT people on my side.

Ozzy

Here is another thing... Senior members can go to encampment to help out AND to learn. Perhaps you can try to get a TAC position and learn some stuff from the cadet flight staff and bring some things back to your squadron. You don't need to be a cadet to do that.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2009, 09:41:09 PM
This was posted yesterday on the cadet blog, looks like just the thing you need...

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/library/drill__ceremonies.cfm

This link causes my browser IE and Fx to crash for some reason, its related to the video and I get runtime errors.

I'll look for another way to get it.

SarDragon

You must have something turned off in your browsers. The link works fine in IE7, Firefox 3.5, Chrome and Safari.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret