How far to CAP meetings?

Started by High Speed Low Drag, November 13, 2009, 11:29:36 PM

High Speed Low Drag

How far do you drive to get to your normal C.A.P. meeting?

I am curious to see how CAP members from across the nation dedicate themselves in order to attend the weekly meetings. This information will help determine how far away a new squadron should be to start up.

Thanks for your help!

** This topic has also been posted on CadetStuff.org.  If you have already answered there, thank you .    :clap:   You do not need to re-post. ***
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Pingree1492

Most of our cadets are within 20-30 minutes, or less.  However, we do have a cadet who's driving about 2.5 hours (one way) to get to meetings every night.

Depends on the dedication of your members, but you would generally want to keep drive times to 30 minutes or less for the majority of your membership- though you will have those that are willing to drive an hour or more.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

RiverAux

Most folks are going to be less than a half hour.  You will get a few freaks willing to drive 1-2 hours though.

Cecil DP

I have a 45 minute drive, but also have 3 squadrons that are closer to me.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DC

I just moved, but previously I had about a 25 minute drive. I haven't transferred to the squadron down here in my new area yet, but it should be a 30-40 minute drive..

NC Hokie

We have several cadets making a 45-60 minute drive each way for meetings; one of those passes his former squadron on the way to ours.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

LtCol057

It takes me approx an hour and 15 minutes to get to meetings. Used to have senior meetings on different night from cadet meetings, and really racked up the miles.  When gas went to $3/gallon, we changed to have meetings on same nights. 

mynetdude

where I used to live, I used to sit in the "middle" so I would be at the bottom of the V the squadron I am going to now is on the left, the squadron I started at is on the right.  From where I used to life squadron on the left was slightly closer than squadron on the right.

It was about an hour drive pretty much, the other squadron was about 35-45 minutes.  I racked up quite a bit of miles at my first squadron even when gas was 3.50/gallon but since having major eye surgery I had to make the decision to find another squadron that was closer so I could participate on a regular basis and then finally succumbed to moving to the city so now it is only 10-15 minutes.

would I drive 2-2 1/2 hours to a meeting? You bet I would, the downfall with this is weather and the pass make it almost impossible to do this during the winter months.  In the summer months its kinda ridiculous but I'd have to bring my RV with me as I would not fathom turning around the same night to drive home.

I'm satisfied where I am at for now.

Airrace

exFlight Officer

Travel time takes me about 45 minutes to my squadron and 45 minutes back home. Not bad considering that my squadron is in the next county. I am very dedicated to my squadron and I would be willing to drive an hour to an hour and a half away to it if needed!

Майор Хаткевич

As it stands now:

30 minute "L" (City train/subway) ride.
30-45minute car ride.

Totally worth it.

Seabee219

I drive about 15 in tops from my house to the airport. We have a nice squadron that takes care of eachother. Our wing keeps giving the awards to the same people, the same squadrons and so forth. So we take care of ourself.
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Dracosbane

It's a 25 min drive from my house to my meetings, depending on the farming traffic.  There's a squadron about ten minutes from my front door, and although I work with them on occasion as an associate advisor and personal friend of several members there, I'm loyal to my home squadron.  Started there as a cadet, went back as a senior, don't want to be in any other unit.

We have members that drive from five or six different counties around us and I think the longest might be an hour one way.

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Thrashed

18 miles each way. Part highway, part back roads = 20 minutes each way.

Save the triangle thingy

cap235629

6 minutes, used to be 4 then I moved
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JROB

Used to be 4 Miles (Squadron Closed) now I drive 25 Miles.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

mikebank

1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

C/SrA

I drive about 20 to 30 minutes to my squadron building, 40 minutes on really bad nights.

a2capt

We have some who drive an hour, an another an hour and a half to come to our unit, and I feel guilty sometimes that I'm 5 minutes, and the only traffic lights are just outside and just inside the base gate.

The parents tend to stay for the meeting, have become sponsor members and will add, that even with the drive, it's worth 100% of the time spent for what the cadets get out of the program.