squadron Drill Teem

Started by Mullins, June 01, 2009, 02:33:29 PM

Mullins

I am starting a drill teem at my local squadron, and I need some assistance.  If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ryan Mullins
        NJ-067 Bayshore Composite
               Bravo Flight Sergent

DC

Obtain and thoroughly read CAPM 52-4 and AFMAN 36-2203. That should get you started. Beyond that, make sure you have enough people (you need at least 12 dedicated people) that are willing to show up to practice every time, and commit to the team. Train for the events in the manual, and work hard.

DBlair

In what areas do you need help? Which Wing are you in?

The quantity of Cadets needed (12 + 1 as Commander, usually plus a couple alternates) is what seems to discourage many units as it seems either other programs are fighting for the same Cadets, or there simply aren't enough Cadets in the unit to facilitate a DT. If you have enough dedicated Cadets, then go for it. Because of my NCC background, I'm being put in charge of forming a DT as well. We have over 50 Cadets, but the unit tends to be gung ho Color Guard instead- we'll see how this works out. Best of luck to you- if you have any DT questions- feel free to let me know.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Mullins

Quote from: DBlair on June 01, 2009, 04:16:09 PM

I'm in NER-NJ067.  I mostly need help in what kind of activities to go to with my cadets.  Also, are there any alternate drill commands just for DT.

Thanks
               Bravo Flight Sergent

Ozzy

No, there isn't any just DT drill you need to know. However, There are different events a DT will have to compete in. These events are: Mile run, Volleyball, Innovative Drill, Standard Drill, Inspection, Quiz bowl, Written Test. For the Innovative drill, you need to create a routine, using normal drill moves, that is about 2-5 minutes long. Moves during this can be slightly modified but nothing too much. Standard Drill involves moves only located in AFM 36-2203. Nothing else. Check CAPM 52-4, National Cadet Competition. That has all of the basics you need, from what the team is suppose to do for each event, to  the specific movements the drill commander is suppose to do for each event.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

DC

Quote from: Mullins on June 01, 2009, 05:04:20 PM
Quote from: DBlair on June 01, 2009, 04:16:09 PM

I'm in NER-NJ067.  I mostly need help in what kind of activities to go to with my cadets.  Also, are there any alternate drill commands just for DT.

Thanks
I don't know about NJWG, but for the most part the only activities a Drill Team can participate in are Wing, Region and National level Cadet Competitions. Beyond Cadet Comp, you might be able to use them in a recruiting/show off manner..

Eclipse

I would suggest you contact your Wing DCP through channels, or direct with permission.

Many states only allow for one "official" NCC Drill Team because of the expense and effort in putting together a competition-level team.

That doesn't mean that your unit can't do drill team "stuff" on your own, but you might not be able to compete as a seperate team.

Making sure the expectations are set properly will be important to your cadets being happy.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

I'd suggest to contact the DCP for NJ Wing. When I was on NJ's DT in the 1990s, there was the one and only NJDDT, and Cadets from all over the Wing had to go through a long selection process in order to make the team. Unless they have changed the way they do things, you might be stepping on toes by creating a separate drill team. Thus, I'd suggest to check with DCP.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Mullins

I was not thinking that I would create a separate DT besides the NJDT.  All I was thinking of doing would be to give my cadets a way to hone their drill skills, and show off 8)
               Bravo Flight Sergent

BrandonKea

Quote from: DBlair on June 02, 2009, 05:31:51 PM
I'd suggest to contact the DCP for NJ Wing. When I was on NJ's DT in the 1990s, there was the one and only NJDDT, and Cadets from all over the Wing had to go through a long selection process in order to make the team. Unless they have changed the way they do things, you might be stepping on toes by creating a separate drill team. Thus, I'd suggest to check with DCP.

IMHO, the Wing DT can always use some competition...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP