UOD for fleet week?

Started by BTCS1*, May 19, 2009, 02:48:34 AM

BTCS1*

So my squadron will be going onboard the USS Iwo Jima this weekend while it is in NYC for fleet week. But noone can seen to decide if th UOD should be blues, or BDUs(the Marines set up a weaponry display=photo-op =P)? What do you guys think?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

ZigZag911

If you're assisting the Navy w. Fleet Week, probably BDUs (they should be your guide)

If you're going as 'tourists', blues.

BTCS1*

We are touring the ship, I was thinking blues because it presents a different/ more professional image. Yet BDUs are suitable because well, frankly, it looks cool holding an m16 or sitting in a tank wearing BDUs :P But we will probably end up in blues.

SarDragon

As someone who spent a day or four on ships, I recommend BDUs. It's too easy to mess up a set of blues going up and down ladders, and they will likely be more comfortable.

Ask what the Navy folks recommend.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Active ships are nothing more then grease and oil stains looking for a place to happen.

And we all know how the blue shirt attracts stains. ;)

Al Sayre

Agree with BDU's.  I can't count how many sets of Whites I trashed just walking through the ship.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

I did an ELT search on the IWO a few years back.  Best I can remember, it was pretty dirty.  Going through the hatches and scuttles would have been challenging in blues.  I wonder if the comm. guys are still playing X-Box...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

AlphaSigOU

And don't forget to render proper honors on boarding and departing the ship - salute the quarterdeck and then the officer of the day. The order is reversed when leaving the ship.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

notaNCO forever

I would recommend against blues; it's always nice to look good but practicality trumps looks.

MIKE

Lot of opinion in this thread.  The real answer:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.visiting military installations. Members will make every effort to comply with local installation uniform policy. If policy is not known, the CAP-USAF state director or the installation's public affairs office may be contacted for guidance.
Mike Johnston

USADOD

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 19, 2009, 03:17:57 AM
We are touring the ship, I was thinking blues because it presents a different/ more professional image. Yet BDUs are suitable because well, frankly, it looks cool holding an m16 or sitting in a tank wearing BDUs :P But we will probably end up in blues.

A cadet holding a M16 is not the image CAP wants to present to the general public. Its hard enough to tell parents we aren't a youth combat militia.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on May 19, 2009, 03:12:12 PM
Lot of opinion in this thread.  The real answer:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.visiting military installations. Members will make every effort to comply with local installation uniform policy. If policy is not known, the CAP-USAF state director or the installation's public affairs office may be contacted for guidance.

Hence, para 2 of my post above. Typical UOD on a ship is some sort of utility uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: USADOD on May 19, 2009, 08:20:21 PM

A cadet holding a M16 is not the image CAP wants to present to the general public. Its hard enough to tell parents we aren't a youth combat militia.
So we should prevent cadets from having fun on the off chance a misinterpreted photo might frighten off some paranoid, misinformed parent?

I think we should be more focused on making it an interesting experience for the cadets already in the program, rather than censoring it to attract people that otherwise might not be interested in the (true) program. 

Gunner C

Mr. Brison - take a chill pill.  Guns are not bad.  People who have guns are not bad.  Cadets and guns is not bad.  The military is not bad.  The military has guns.  We are associated with the military.  We give military training.

I think it will be all right.  If the parents freak out, then deal with it with reason.

flyguy06

Quote from: DC on May 19, 2009, 09:16:24 PM

So we should prevent cadets from having fun on the off chance a misinterpreted photo might frighten off some paranoid, misinformed parent?

I think we should be more focused on making it an interesting experience for the cadets already in the program, rather than censoring it to attract people that otherwise might not be interested in the (true) program.

But the true program isnt about weapons. So why would you say you are attracting people who otherwise would not be interested in the true program In fact,ithink you may attract youths that think we are a militia or gun toting organization and we are not.

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 19, 2009, 09:51:35 PM
In fact, I think you may attract youth that think we are a militia or gun toting organization and we are not.

I doubt that very much. 

Rotorhead

Quote from: Gunner C on May 19, 2009, 09:28:34 PM

Mr. Brison - take a chill pill.  Guns are not bad.  People who have guns are not bad.  Cadets and guns is not bad.  The military is not bad.  The military has guns.  We are associated with the military.  We give military training.

I think it will be all right.  If the parents freak out, then deal with it with reason.

I think his statement, however, is correct.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

BTCS1*

Thanks for the help, but we will be wearing blues for several reasons which we (my COC and I) realized.
1) At an event with no USAF support/presence we would like to represent the AF in their distinct uniform.
2) It was recommended by our POC, a Marine Gunny.
      2a) A "recommendation" is nore than just that when this is what a LtCol, who we are to report to, will be expecting us in blues. :-P

wingnut55

I really doubt a Marine sentry is going to give you his weapon to look Cool.

But I might be wrong

BTCS1*

The marines have an 'exhibit' of weapons in which you can hold the M16s and SAWs and other weapons. Always fun, can't wait!

USADOD

Yes, During a weapon demonstration cadets usually are allowed to hold and take pictures with weapons. I think it is ok for cadets to participate in marksmanship activities and weapon demonstration but it is in no way a element of the cadet program and its core mission, activities of this nature should remain internal and not be broadcast to the general public. No chill pill required, I just wanted to mention that point of interest,and believe it or not I live in the urban community of Detroit where youth and parents misinterpret the cadet program as a Combat readiness and Discipline program everyday.

But most of all, and to remain on topic....enjoy the tour; sounds really really cool ;)
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

BTCS1*

Thanks! I love going to fleet week! And it will be my first time in uniform, should be a great day. Expecting a little playful competition from the Navy pilots, us being the only USAF organization there(that I know of). Sure to be some run ins with JROTC, maybe some sea cadets(grrr) LOL ;-P

SJFedor

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 20, 2009, 04:26:10 AM
Thanks! I love going to fleet week! And it will be my first time in uniform, should be a great day. Expecting a little playful competition from the Navy pilots, us being the only USAF organization there(that I know of). Sure to be some run ins with JROTC, maybe some sea cadets(grrr) LOL ;-P

Naval aviators probably won't even really care that much. And you and your fellow cadets should be professional enough to not have any "run in's" with anyone. Might be a different organization, but it's the same team.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

BTCS1*

oh... you thought... by run in I meant seeing and running into, under no conditions would any cadets I am with confront anyone. That would present the totally wrong image, I would submit my own 2b if I allowed mysef to do that :P

SJFedor

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 20, 2009, 05:09:28 AM
oh... you thought... by run in I meant seeing and running into, under no conditions would any cadets I am with confront anyone. That would present the totally wrong image, I would submit my own 2b if I allowed mysef to do that :P

Haha. I was a former cadet, and I know back when i was 14 I couldn't wait to stick it to those sea cadets and young marines.

Just keepin you honest  >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

BTCS1*

you got me! Now when you see in the news that a group of sea cadets 'slipped' off the USS Iwo Jima, it was an accident and I had nothing to do with it! ;-P *I stand back while the CG lifts some annoyed, wet sea cadets from the hudson*

USADOD

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 20, 2009, 05:26:58 AM
you got me! Now when you see in the news that a group of sea cadets 'slipped' off the USS Iwo Jima, it was an accident and I had nothing to do with it! ;-P *I stand back while the CG lifts some annoyed, wet sea cadets from the hudson*

Lol when I was a Army JROTC Colonel, I felt the same way about CAP and other branched JROTC units.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

jimmydeanno

It sounds like you guys are in for
quite a treat.  I wish I could go with you.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Gunner C

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 20, 2009, 11:02:25 AM
It sounds like you guys are in for
quite a treat.  I wish I could go with you.
Yep!  Sounds like great fun!  Let us know how it went - post some pictures.

BTCS1*

another question, should i also salute warant officer in addition to commisioned officers? I know that there will be a few on the flight deck.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrandonKea

Quote from: SJFedor on May 20, 2009, 05:20:02 AM

Haha. I was a former cadet, and I know back when i was 14 I couldn't wait to stick it to those sea cadets and young marines.

We had an encampment where we were billeted across post from Sea Cadets and Young Marines. We happened to share laundry facilities with them, and one evening a Sea Cadet was doing laundry under the watchful eye of the Young Marine in charge of the laundry room. The Sea Cadet pulled a key out of his washer that he had left in his pocket. The YM saw that, and went off the deep end, I thought I was gonna cry, lol. That kid got his ass chewed for a good 5 minutes about this key. Meanwhile, all us CAP Cadets just finished our laundry and got the heck out of there.

Fun times, lol
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BTCS1*

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 22, 2009, 01:41:22 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 20, 2009, 05:20:02 AM

We had an encampment where we were billeted across post from Sea Cadets and Young Marines. We happened to share laundry facilities with them, and one evening a Sea Cadet was doing laundry under the watchful eye of the Young Marine in charge of the laundry room. The Sea Cadet pulled a key out of his washer that he had left in his pocket. The YM saw that, and went off the deep end, I thought I was gonna cry, lol. That kid got his ass chewed for a good 5 minutes about this key. Meanwhile, all us CAP Cadets just finished our laundry and got the heck out of there.

Fun times, lol
Thats great!  :P And thanks for the info bout saluting WOs, il make sure i let the other cadets know

Gunner C

Warrant officers are officers. Chief warrant officers have been commissioned in all services since the 1980s.  You salute all officers. 

BTCS1*

Hey guys, Fleet Week went great! And best of all, our uniforms are still clean! ;) Here are some pics: 

If you guys wanna see more pics from it, let me know and ill post more

http://picasaweb.google.com/missioncontroler/FleetWeek?authkey=Gv1sRgCLaFh-u-75zZkwE&feat=directlink