Phase IV cadet expectations

Started by Cadetter, January 04, 2018, 09:21:57 PM

Cadetter

I'm getting my Earhart tonight and want to grow significantly and influence others while progressing through Phase IV. I will most likely stay cadet commander of a small (15 active) cadet squadron for the rest of this year and hope to get my Spaatz next summer. Most of my CAP experience is through my squadron, although I have attended three encampments (staffed two) and am committed to COS this year if I get in. (I was accepted last year but withdrew for work/financial reasons.)

I have not expanded out as much as I would like. We've only had one other Phase IV cadet in the years I was here (not Spaatzen because she ran out of time, but she attempted the exam), and she stayed mostly within the squadron.

What expectations do you have for your Phase IV cadets, as far as creating activities, managing their squadron, and outside participation? If you have a small squadron, how do your cadet officers work in "executive-level" decisions? Sure, I've done quarterly plans... but there must be more.

I am journaling, and I have already had immense personal improvement and (I like to think) some usefulness throughout my 4 years with CAP... I have definite personal goals, lots of room for improvement... but I'd love ideas on how to make it continue. I am talking with my squadron leadership as well, but I welcome any ideas.  :)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Phase IV cadets should be self-starters, versed in the program enough to be
considered SMEs, and model the ethos as much as possible.

As Cadet Commander, one of your responsibility is figuring out why you are small and
working towards changing that.  Also, your focus should be the squadron, and focusing attention
and mentoring in inverse proportion to those who need it the most - the chain is important,
but attention from the "old kid with all the bling" goes a long way for new cadets, even if it's
indirect, and wrench-turned by someone else at your prodding.

You should also familiarize yourself with the new Phase IV SDA requirements, they are much more
specific and involve more time then the old version, and I'm seeing it is catching some cadets off-guard.

Also, don't rush things - take your time, absorb the lessons, give yourself room to grow, change your ideas,
fail occasionally, and understand that while the academics and PT are important, the subjective
"leadership and maturity" become much more important for promotion when you're wearing diamonds.

There's good reasons why cadets tend to slow down progression at this level.  It's not easy on purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadetter on January 04, 2018, 09:21:57 PM
I'm getting my Earhart tonight

You don't 'get' an award or 'get' promoted. You earned a promotion. I was taught that early on in my life, and it stuck with me. So that's just my little chime in on that.

I think a good start is setting a vision for your unit. What would you like it to become? Now what's your mission (what are your goals...remember, think SMART)? How do you plan to take it there, and who can you lean on (both in cadets and seniors) to get there?

You should also do a deep look at where the squadron is now, and where it was before. How did it develop into what it is now (for better or worse)?

Don't forget: Talk to your staff, talk to your lower echelons. You work for them; they don't work for you. How can you make them love this program as much as you do, or more? Eclipse made some really good point above regarding personal preparations and character attributes of what I would expect to see from senior-ranking cadets.

Best of luck to you. Always willing to give input on discussions like this (and I highly appreciate a cadet who asks these types of questions...just don't be one of those with high motivation today and then you don't put any of it into action tomorrow).

Cadetter

Thanks for your input, Eclipse and TheSkyHornet!
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018