Promotion Process

Started by Cadet CMSgt, August 26, 2015, 04:00:35 PM

Tim Day

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 28, 2015, 06:31:32 PM
Quote from: Tim Day on August 28, 2015, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: CAPR 52-16Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
however, the CAPR 52-16 doesn't seem to me to prohibit the board's use of other material. Could you clarify from where you got the "only"?

CAPR52-16 Para 5-2.D

d. Promotion Boards.  Effective 1 September 2014, units will hold promotion boards to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions.  At a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion.  At least once per phase, commanders will have the cadet meet with the board in person for a mentoring discussion.  When in-person boards are conducted, they will operate according to CAPP 52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook, 2.7, and must meet the following criteria:   

(1) A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the board's basis for their discussion.   
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion policies consistently, with all cadets subject to the same process.

Yes, I quoted both of those. My question was: Where did you get the "only"?

For clarity: Is a member of the board allowed to use their personal observations, for example, in order to advise the commander that this cadet might not be ready for the promotion? If this results in the commander not promoting the cadet, then of course a CAPF-50 should be written and briefed to the cadet. But I see no restriction in CAPR 52-16 limiting the sources of information supporting the commander's decision. CAPR 52-16 doesn't dictate board format (it could be via email, for example), content, or record-keeping requirements, either, with the exception that once per phase there must be a CAPF-50-based in-person board.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Tim Day on August 28, 2015, 06:43:21 PM
Is a member of the board allowed to use their personal observations, for example, in order to advise the commander that this cadet might not be ready for the promotion? If this results in the commander not promoting the cadet, then of course a CAPF-50 should be written and briefed to the cadet. But I see no restriction in CAPR 52-16 limiting the sources of information supporting the commander's decision. CAPR 52-16 doesn't dictate board format (it could be via email, for example), content, or record-keeping requirements, either, with the exception that once per phase there must be a CAPF-50-based in-person board.

Absolutely.

If someone on the board panel doesn't feel that a person is ready for promotion, based on their own observations, avoiding opinions of the individual as an overall person, and just recognizing their potential or issues related to the responsibilities of their current grade/duty positions and their subsequent grade once promoted, I would say you have an obligation to express your concerns and they should be discussed with the rest of the panel before the group agrees on the recommendation for promotion. If this is taken to the Commander, he/she should consider this when signing off on the promotion. Keep in mind that if you have a panel of, say, three individuals, and only one believes the person is not ready for promotion, you should not spend excess time trying to convince the remainder of the group that you're right and they're wrong, or vise versa. State your case, and let it be.

I would not discuss with the cadet that you want to deny their promotion and the others want to approve it. I would invite the cadet back in, express some concerns and talk about areas they could improve on, and let them know they are being promoted but that you will expect a lot more out of them as they move up in their career.

We have had situations where we haven't seen a cadet for a while and have discussed possibly determining their eligibility for promotion with their absence. I usually recommend, in such a case, that we deny a promotion until we see them in-person and discuss their absence. I often like to address that we expect, as they increase in grade and responsibility, that we want to see more of them outside of emails and phone calls. I would not recommend someone for promotion until I talk to them myself so I can make an educated decision without stepping into my emotions.

abdsp51

The CAPF50 is where you list your observations for promotion or no promotion. The CAPF50 and records are the only items that can be used for the board to determine promotion eligibilty.

If Capt Snuffy has info and is on the board and it's not on the 50 then it can't be used.. 

arajca

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 28, 2015, 11:36:21 PM
The CAPF50 is where you list your observations for promotion or no promotion. The CAPF50 and records are the only items that can be used for the board to determine promotion eligibilty.

If Capt Snuffy has info and is on the board and it's not on the 50 then it can't be used..
Cite exclusivity, please.

abdsp51

Quote from: arajca on August 29, 2015, 02:17:36 AM

CAPR52-16 Para 5-2.D Item 1.  As a whole CAPR52-16 states what is needed for promotion,  the board process and what may be used for the board.  Ergo if you have a cadet going for his Rickenbacker you can't test them about anything to do with previous achievements.  The CAPF50 is the basis for the boards decision to promote or not promote.  Anything not on the F50 and not in records can not be used.  This is akin to desk drawer paperwork in the AF.

Tim Day

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 29, 2015, 02:49:36 AM
Quote from: arajca on August 29, 2015, 02:17:36 AM

CAPR52-16 Para 5-2.D Item 1.  As a whole CAPR52-16 states what is needed for promotion,  the board process and what may be used for the board.  Ergo if you have a cadet going for his Rickenbacker you can't test them about anything to do with previous achievements.  The CAPF50 is the basis for the boards decision to promote or not promote.  Anything not on the F50 and not in records can not be used.  This is akin to desk drawer paperwork in the AF.
An item with a paragraph doesn't override an item in the paragraph:
QuoteAt a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion. 
At a minimum implies there is more. That and you have the mission of the board:
Quotehelp the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions
A commander doesn't need help reading CAPF 50-1s. I think you are over-interpreting the paragraph.

Again, I do think if a promotion is denied for any reason, that reason must be documented in a CAPF 50-1 and briefed to the cadet, along with a remediation plan. However, that CAPF 50-1 can be written after the board, within the timelines that CAPR 52-16 provides for denying a cadet's promotion. CAPR 52-16 Para 5-2.e actually implies this 50-1 is written after, not before the board, since it documents the reason the commander is sustaining the cadet in grade.

By the way, CAP doesn't document performance via CAPF 50-1, which is a feedback form (not an evaluation). The form itself doesn't have enough room to be a complete record of performance.

There is nothing in CAPR 52-16 that states the only performance document by CAPF 50-1 can be considered by a promotion board. The actual process is entirely up to the commander, except that it must be applied
Quoteconsistently, with all cadets subject to the same process.

I agree with your point about not testing on previous achievements.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander