Attendance Policy for Cadets

Started by PeterHansen, May 13, 2013, 09:58:30 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on May 14, 2013, 08:20:06 PM
52-16 references the leadership expectations in CAPVA 52-100.....so it is regulatory.   It and actively participate are the only subjective criteria for promotion.
Actually, no.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16 (21 Dec 2012), 5.2.c.
The "Leadership Expectations" shown in CAPVA 52-100 outlines in broad terms what level of leadership skill cadets should be demonstrating during each phase of the Cadet Program. Commanders will use those goals as a guideline (not a definitive, absolute list of required skills) when making promotion decisions and mentoring cadets. (emphasis mine)

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 14, 2013, 09:15:51 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 14, 2013, 08:20:06 PM
52-16 references the leadership expectations in CAPVA 52-100.....so it is regulatory.   It and actively participate are the only subjective criteria for promotion.
Actually, no.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16 (21 Dec 2012), 5.2.c.
The "Leadership Expectations" shown in CAPVA 52-100 outlines in broad terms what level of leadership skill cadets should be demonstrating during each phase of the Cadet Program. Commanders will use those goals as a guideline (not a definitive, absolute list of required skills) when making promotion decisions and mentoring cadets. (emphasis mine)
Okay....I grant you that it is not "regulatory".

But local commanders cannot make their standards too far outside of the guidelines set by CAPVA 52-100.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Define too far...is expecting 75% attendance bad? 50%? At what point is the cadet getting at least enough contact hours?

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 14, 2013, 09:37:42 PM
Define too far...is expecting 75% attendance bad? 50%? At what point is the cadet getting at least enough contact hours?
Oh.....no.....75% 50%....completely acceptable........."a cadet cannot miss more then 75% of the meetings and activities in a promotion cycle with out a valid excuse" is completely within the spirit of the regulation.

It is the "With out a valid excuse" that we are talking about here.

By regulation school is a valid excuse......so.....if the cadet has met ALL of the other requirements for promotion......then he MUST be promoted.  Even if he has not been there at all.  (of course if the cadet has not been there at all 0% it is very unlikely that he has met all the requirements.)

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 14, 2013, 09:48:53 PMBy regulation school is a valid excuse......so.....if the cadet has met ALL of the other requirements for promotion......then he MUST be promoted.  Even if he has not been there at all.  (of course if the cadet has not been there at all 0% it is very unlikely that he has met all the requirements.)

If he has not been there at all, it's not unlikely, it is not possible.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

The "any school related activity" blanket approach to attendance is horrible!  I had a Cadet go to the Wing Commander and demand a special program be built around his athletic schedule.  The Wing Commander tore me apart, scolding me for not creating a program tailored to this Cadets 1 meeting per month attendance plan. 

I am sick of "too much homework" or "coach makes us practice every night" excuses.  Seriously, I am very acomodating, but to change the Squadrons normal functioning for 1 Cadet, AKA meet his demands because he read the "school activities are excused absences" line in 52-16 is crap.  Academics should be excused, period.  Sports from my understanding are extra-curricular??  Am I wrong? 

arajca

There is a catch...If a cadet misses Character Development classes or CPFT or other promotion requirements because of his school activities, he does not promote.

Eclipse

52-16's use of the term "excused" is in the context of termination for excessive absence,  it is >not< a blanket waiver for non-participation.

Note the reference to 35-3 in the same line. 

52-16 also says that a cadet is required to participate actively, and has also been pointed out, very clearly states that those excused absences do not
excuse cadets from from promotion requirements, one of which is..."active participation".

All 52-16 is saying is that a cadet cannot be terminated solely on the grounds of being absent, >if< those absences are for legitimate school-related functions.
It does not, in any way, say that a commander is required to tailor special services and programs for one cadet, or accommodate that cadet in any way beyond not terminating them
(on those grounds).

Failure to promote would still be legitimate grounds for termination, and a cadet who never shows up is not going to be able to promote, since they will never rise to "active" participation.

"That Others May Zoom"

mwewing

Quote from: lordmonar on May 14, 2013, 08:14:55 PM
mwewing.......CAP does not compete with school.  End of statement.

I agree with that, we just have different understandings of what school includes. The language that is being quoted here from 52-16 is horribly vague, and is a large part of why there is even room for debate. It doesn't give much guidance to the process.

Having been in band, I do understand that attending exhibitions and home football games is often part of your grade. There is no question that activities that impact your grade would be school related. I guess my question is where do we draw the line? Athletics, while a good way to spend time, are generally not required as part of your school career. We could include them as school activities, but then do we also include boy scouts? Many troops are hosted by schools. How about student organizations and clubs, all hosted by the school but not required?

If the marching band practices every Tuesday, and the CAP meeting is every Tuesday at the same time, meeting the obligations of both is impossible. There are remedies for that, including taking a leave of absence until after the marching band season. The cadet can then return and pick up where leaving off. Many commanders also seem interested in accommodating cadets to continue participation if at all possible. Take Walkman's example of a cadet who participated remotely for a limited period of time.

I don't think a cadet should be able to stop participating in the unit, and still progress as though nothing happened. This is why I like attendance policies. I think 70% is more than accommodating and accounts for a fair number of absences. If a cadet has a temporary commitment that causes them to drop below the threshold, they can simply hold off requesting the promotion for a couple of weeks in order to rise back up to the 70% mark. For extended absences, I would suggest a cadet use a leave of absence.

At a certain point, a cadet needs to make a decision to commit to our program or not. Absences happen, short term circumstances can be overcome, even some extended issues can be addressed. However, we owe it to the cadets who are putting in the effort to make sure that everyone is held to a basic standard.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 14, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 14, 2013, 09:48:53 PMBy regulation school is a valid excuse......so.....if the cadet has met ALL of the other requirements for promotion......then he MUST be promoted.  Even if he has not been there at all.  (of course if the cadet has not been there at all 0% it is very unlikely that he has met all the requirements.)

If he has not been there at all, it's not unlikely, it is not possible.
I believe I said that..