Rifles for Color Guard that are realistic

Started by AngelWings, November 22, 2012, 01:15:49 AM

LTC Don

Gunbroker has a replica section HERE with quite a few items.  From time to time they have M1s and M14s listed as well as a host of other rifles that would make good Color Guard choices.

Here's a Garand listed here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318044334

Another possible source --
http://www.keystonearsenal.com/category/WWII-Guns-5

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

sarmed1

On the airsoft thought process I came accross this the other day

http://winchesterairrifles.com/Products/M14.aspx

Amazon had a price listing of $170; weight was like 6 pounds ....ish

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 30, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2012, 02:09:37 PM
Holy smokes those look nice!

Sure beats the $30 Red Ryder at Walmart.

My only concern is that those have a functionality (which I'm sure can be disabled), but that = more things to fall off, go clank, etc and might affect the durability as a color guard weapon.

Which is why I pointed out those Drill America M-1s. My old unit has had those for years, kept in gun cases except when in use, and they still look like new.  They're basically a solid rifle.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Oh I wouldn't get the M14 BB gun for Color Guard. Now...as a BB Gun...

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2012, 03:57:01 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 30, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2012, 02:09:37 PM
Holy smokes those look nice!

Sure beats the $30 Red Ryder at Walmart.

My only concern is that those have a functionality (which I'm sure can be disabled), but that = more things to fall off, go clank, etc and might affect the durability as a color guard weapon.

Which is why I pointed out those Drill America M-1s. My old unit has had those for years, kept in gun cases except when in use, and they still look like new.  They're basically a solid rifle.

CAPR 52-16
2-11. Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any devices that could be used as weapons at cadet activities. The only exceptions to this policy are:
a. Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated firearm is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon. A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition.

Possession could also be illegal in certain jurisdictions for anyone under 18.  I know in the area I grew up in, the laws was all over the map.
In the city BB Guns were banned, in the suburbs across the street they could be purchased at K-Mart.

You'd have to destroy it to even consider using it - spending $170 on something just to ruin it seems like a waste to me.  Your best bet is to get the
best looking, lightest, least expensive parade rifles you can find.  They will be dropped, abused, and played with (like it or not), not to mention that
no one in the audience that is further then 20 feet away will know the difference, nor care.

"That Others May Zoom"