Guidon Bearer

Started by Cap'n, February 03, 2012, 04:29:19 PM

Cap'n

Hello, everyone! I have a slight dilemma. I was emailed yesterday that I am going to be the guidon bearer for my flight, and I have no idea what I am supposed to do in formation. From what I can understand, I will have to stand up near the 1st Srgt, but that's pretty much it. I also somewhat grasp what you do with the guidon during drill movements, so my only problem is formation. If anyone could somehow explain in a little detail what they generally do, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time, and have a good day.

lordmonar

The drill manual is your freind.....as should your flight sergeant and flight commander.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: lordmonar on February 03, 2012, 04:30:57 PM
The drill manual is your freind.....as should your flight sergeant and flight commander.
They should at least give him a rough idea of what he is doing. Throwing him into isn't very good leadership.

AFMAN 36-2203:
http://www.indiana.edu/~afrotc/Resources/AFROTC%20Drill%20and%20Ceremonies%20Guide.pdf
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Cap'n

Thank you for replying, Sir. I did go through my drill guide and am in the process of looking through the manual, but before I ask my Flight Commander/Sergeant any questions, I would like to know a basis of what I am supposed to do, so I can ask needed questions.

Cap'n

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 03, 2012, 05:00:38 PM
They should at least give him a rough idea of what he is doing. Throwing him into isn't very good leadership.

AFMAN 36-2203:
http://www.indiana.edu/~afrotc/Resources/AFROTC%20Drill%20and%20Ceremonies%20Guide.pdf

Thank you very much Sir, I will check these out.

a2capt

..and remember, everyone did it once for the first time. 

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Pomegranate on February 03, 2012, 05:07:33 PM

AFMAN 36-2203:

I'm a C/NCO, but don't sweat it, you didn't know.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 03, 2012, 06:31:15 PM
Quote from: Pomegranate on February 03, 2012, 05:07:33 PM

AFMAN 36-2203:
I'm a C/NCO, but don't sweat it, you didn't know.
Sir is a term of respect.   :-\

Cap'n

Oh..my apologies. I will remember in the future.

Noble Six

United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

lordmonar

Quote from: Pomegranate on February 03, 2012, 06:44:20 PM
??
I was not rebuking you.  You are did everything right.

Huey Driver

I was guidon bearer my basic year.

FC- Flight Commander

FC: "Who here has guidon experience?"

*Several of my fellow basics raise their hand, but I don't as I have absolutely zero experience with the guidon*

FC: "Cadet Conlin you are now guidon bearer for Echo Flight!"

So I was in the dark with my assigned position all week, and boy, I payed the price for it.  :-\
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Cap'n

Quote from: lordmonar on February 03, 2012, 08:42:58 PM
Quote from: Pomegranate on February 03, 2012, 06:44:20 PM
??
I was not rebuking you.  You are did everything right.

That was in response to ExtremePredjudice's post, Sir. But thank you.

Cap'n

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 03, 2012, 10:30:24 PM

FC- Flight Commander

*Several of my fellow basics raise their hand, but I don't as I have absolutely zero experience with the guidon*

So I was in the dark with my assigned position all week, and boy, I payed the price for it.  :-

That's hilarious, though I'm sorry you had to go through that!

lordmonar

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 03, 2012, 10:30:24 PM

FC- Flight Commander

So I was in the dark with my assigned position all week, and boy, I payed the price for it.  :-\
At Air Force basic training....my TI said "Harris!  You're short, your my guide!"

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: a2capt on February 03, 2012, 05:08:25 PM
..and remember, everyone did it once for the first time.
Yeah.... i had to do it at encampment! and that was my first time doing it!  :P

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

abdsp51

The guide for a formation is usually the shortest person availible. Also most folks in ADAF do not properly handle a guide on.

coudano

Quote from: Noble Six on February 03, 2012, 08:41:37 PM
This will help

There are actually a handfull of small technical inaccuracies in there..
but it's a pretty good overview

coudano

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 11, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
The guide for a formation is usually the shortest person availible. Also most folks in ADAF do not properly handle a guide on.

Actually there is no rule about the guide or element leaders with regards to their height.  And those positions do not participate in sizing the flight (well, except front to back).

The best criteria for selecting a guide is someone who can maintain proper direction, cadence, and pace length while marching (since everyone else sets their DCID pace and step off of that person).  The shortest person in the flight is probably not the best choice for this role, unless they are REALLY practiced and disciplined at taking proper step and cadence (usually a pretty big step for a short person).  The tallest person would be unlikely as a best choice for the same reason (they would have to intentionally take shorter steps, compared to their natural pace length)

The second best criteria for selecting a guide is probably someone who can handle the extra moves that the guide has to do, without messing up themselves, and by extension, everyone else.  Including standing in the right place, upon the command FALL IN.

The element leaders should be the people of highest rank (regardless of height)

lordmonar

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 11, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
Or march, or wear blues, or mess dress/semi formal or a whole host of other things we do in CAP on a more or less daily basis.