Mitchell exam format

Started by Perez, September 07, 2011, 09:18:01 PM

Perez

I've had a question that's been on my mind for some time now. If a cadet tested using the old leadership for the 21st century textbooks, and then changed over to the learn to lead books, what materials will he/she be tested on for their Mitchell exam? I ask this because I joined prior to the switch-over and only since my last achievement have I been using the new materials. I don't know weather a Mitchell exam corresponding with the new books has been created of if I'll be tested on the leadership for the 21st century books. The reason I'm concerned about this is that if it's on the new books then I'm going to have to read all the previous chapters and study them, whereas if it's on the old books I won't have studied the last few chapters.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

jimmydeanno

If you switched to the new books, your Mitchell will be on the new books.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAPC/officer125

I would suggest sticking with one set of books until you get your Mitchell. (So go back to the old books if you have only done a few tests in the new) If you only have a few more achievements til your Mitchell, I would keep with the old and just go back and study the ones you did in the L2L. And take the test for the old books, especially since you will be more familiar with the types of questions the old books ask. Knowing how a particular question may be asked can help you study and switching books, therefore writers of the test, does you a disservice.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

DakRadz

You can go from old to new, but once you are new, you cannot revert.

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: DakRadz on September 07, 2011, 09:32:10 PM
You can go from old to new, but once you are new, you cannot revert.
Even if they only took a few tests? That seems odd. Didn't know that...guess it comes with living my entire cadet career (well a majority) with only the old books (actually started my career with the old old books still available but not widely used).
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

HGjunkie

Yeah, once you switch you can't revert. One of the cadets in my unit did that and was like "What?". I explained it and he was like "okay...". It kinda bummed him out.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jeders

In answer to the OP, you will be tested using the Mitchell for the new material. This mean that you will have to go back and read the chapters that you haven't read already.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

coudano

To be clear, i'm not sure there's a written REG anywhere that says you can't revert...

Perez

I really like the subject material in the new tests, and I've been able to get 100's on them without looking at my books, but personally I like the presentation of the previous texts better. I always studied through in a very procedural manner, and I actually retained a lot of the info so I could learn to apply it as I studied it. With the new books I feel like I'm just reading off a huge list of really cool information all vaguely related to some overall point, and I can't retain anywhere near as much of the chapter's material in comparison. For this reason I would really like to find out if switching back to the old is possible.

Extremepredjudice

Learn to lead volume 2 "team leadership"

You are tested on the whole book.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Perez

So the Mitchell consists of just volume two?

a2capt

Mitchell and Wright Brothers are comprehensive. That means everything up to them.
You can't switch back, because eServices cadet promotions doesn't let you switch back. When you've processed a promotion with the tickbox set to Learn to Lead, it goes away the next time. So it's not possible to enter a passing test score of less than 80, and for most, a drill score must be entered.
Quote from: CAPR 52-16

5-3.   Transition to Online Achievement Testing. CAP is transitioning to online cadet achievement tests, while simultaneously transitioning to a new leadership textbook. Cadets who have been studying the Leadership for the 21st Century text may remain in that text or transition to the new Learn to Lead curriculum. Cadets need to be mindful that if they do switch to the new Learn to Lead textbook, their milestone award exams will be based on Learn to Lead – there is no option for cadets to attempt milestone award exams whose questions are a mix-and-match of the "old" and "new" textbook.
a.   "Old Textbook" Cadets. Cadets who decide to remain in Leadership for the 21st Century will continue to use the respective hard copy tests. Online tests are not available for that textbook.
b.   "New Textbook" Cadets. Cadets who transition to the Learn to Lead text, and all cadets joining after 1 July 2010, will use the online tests created for that curriculum.
I know, again another issue of it doesn't say you can't, but... if you read that it certainly isn't lending itself that flip-flopping back and forth is an option.  Especially with the section I emphasized, it pretty much implies to me, switch and thats it.

ßτε

You will need to pick one of the two available Mitchell exams. One is based on L21C and the other on LTL. See para 5-3 and Figure 5-1 in CAPR 52-16.

Chief2009

If you use Leadership for the 21st Century, you take CAPT 64-1 and CAPT 64-2, both dated Oct 2006.
If you use Learn to Lead, you take CAPT 74-1, July 2010  and CAPT 64-2.

Make sure your TCO has the right edition.

EDIT - Sorry, I see that Fig 5-1 covers it.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

a2capt

Heh.. and don't do like me and get caught up in Tuesday night antics, and give the cadet the wrong version. :)
I gave 'em a Wright Brothers from L2K, and he took it, 1st time out, missed 8, which all in all wasn't *that* bad, with that test. not at all.

Except he says to me .. "Nothing in that test was in the book..." to which I went "ooops", I gave you the wrong one. I let him take the right one.

Now it was more like first timers on the Wright Brothers. Crashed and burned on it. Big time.

Which still fits in with my past experience. In the beginning of online testing, and not having materials for the cadets, a few times I offered L2K tests on paper, to L2L cadets for LL1 and LL2, and using the L2L 80% passing rate, but not open book per say, because they had no book to be open..  They would pass LL1 and LL2 with scores in the 90's.

The rub? Of 10 cadets that took LL1 from L2K, but read the L2L books, every one of them passed it.
My usual findings are about 50/50 on passing for the first time. Which I will say, when they are taking L2L tests, with L2L books, I'm seeing about a 60% pass rate for the first time.

IOW, I'm convinced that L2L does a much better job of communicating the objective.

FYI: The issues necessitating that old tests were needed in place of paper testing has been long dealt with.

coudano

Quote from: Perez on September 07, 2011, 10:53:09 PM

The Mitchell Leadership will be comprehensive over Leadership chapters 1-7 of the old L2K curriculum
or 1-8 of the new Learn 2 Lead
50 questions multiple choice

There is also a separate 50 question test that is comprehensive of all 6 Flight of Discovery modules.

**EDIT:  you know what, i'm not quite 100% convinced that the L2L mitchell isn't only over chapters 4-8...  I really don't know for sure and I can't seem to find anywhere definitive that says.

jeders

Quote from: a2capt on September 08, 2011, 03:56:26 AM
Heh.. and don't do like me and get caught up in Tuesday night antics, and give the cadet the wrong version. :)
I gave 'em a Wright Brothers from L2K, and he took it, 1st time out, missed 8, which all in all wasn't *that* bad, with that test. not at all.

Except he says to me .. "Nothing in that test was in the book..." to which I went "ooops", I gave you the wrong one. I let him take the right one.

I did something like that once. I accidentally gave a cadet the officer version of an aerospace test instead of the enlisted version. The funny thing was that he did better on the officer one than the enlisted one.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: coudano on September 08, 2011, 04:30:52 AM
Quote from: Perez on September 07, 2011, 10:53:09 PM

The Mitchell Leadership will be comprehensive over Leadership chapters 1-7 of the old L2K curriculum
or 1-8 of the new Learn 2 Lead
50 questions multiple choice

There is also a separate 50 question test that is comprehensive of all 6 Flight of Discovery modules.

**EDIT:  you know what, i'm not quite 100% convinced that the L2L mitchell isn't only over chapters 4-8...  I really don't know for sure and I can't seem to find anywhere definitive that says.

Shouldn't it be comprehensive to that point?

coudano

Yah 100% confirmed

The Mitchell is comprehensive of chapters 1-7 of Leadership 2000
and chapters 1-8 of Learn 2 Lead

(and all 6 modules of Flight of Discovery)

Perez

It looks like I have a lot of studying to do.