New Leadership text and online tests

Started by Chief2009, June 13, 2010, 05:18:21 AM

Chief2009

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/library/learn_to_lead.cfm

Texts will be sent to new cadets starting July 1.

25 questions per test, selected from a bank of 100 questions from each chapter or module. There will be a 30 minute time limit. They will be open book, with a passing score being raised to 80%.

Cadets see results instantly. Scores are automatically fed into the Cadet Promotions Application in e-Services. In case of failure, the cadet is locked out for 7 days. In case of failing the same test twice, the cadet is locked out until meeting with a senior member.

I like the fact that the questions are selected from a pool, not just one set of questions. I also like the lock out, it will encourage cadets to study.

It will be interesting to see how many will stay with the old ones and how many will switch.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

HGjunkie

I'm Gonna take a look at the new texts before I decide wether or not to switch over. It certainly would be more convienient though.  :-\
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RobertAmphibian

HGJunkie, the texts are online at the link Chief2009 posted. I like them, they're well written and much easier on the eyes than the past edition. I also like them because I recognize a lot of my friends and colleagues from other activities in the pictures.  :)

And I'm really excited for online testing. At first I was super skeptical, but after hearing it explained I think it's going to promote a much better understanding of material.

jimmydeanno

Just an FYI, the versions that are currently on the cadet blog ARE NOT the final product.  There has been a lot of revision since those were put there.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Fly Boy

I don't have anything to worry about. I'll be forced to use the old one for my Mitchell exam  >:D

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

NC Hokie

Here's another FYI...

There is no "mix and match" when it comes to the milestone award tests (Wright Brothers and Mitchell); you're either all in with the old material or all in with the new stuff.  If you choose to make the move to the new system, you'll need to study ALL of the new texts, as I have been told by a NHQ staffer that it would be very difficult to pass these exams if you have only studied the old texts.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

I'm excited that National has finally set a hard date for online testing and the new texts to go live, this has been talked about and 'in the works' for several years now, it's about time!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on June 13, 2010, 07:40:38 PM
I'm excited that National has finally set a hard date for online testing and the new texts to go live, this has been talked about and 'in the works' for several years now, it's about time!

It does take time to research and write, as well as support a textbook.  Certainly, the closer you get to completion the easier it is to estimate the completion date.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

c/LTCOLorbust

Now I am a DCC at my SQ and the testing officer and I have been asking the question... can the cadets who just joined but joined before 1July... can they opted to take the new tests? or is it Before 1 july -Old program and after 1 july - New program? Thanks

1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

Al Sayre

It's their option.  I'm telling mine not to switch until they meet their next milestone if they already have 2 or more achievements in the phase completed.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

High Speed Low Drag

Ran the first guinea pig through an online testlast week – AE Mod 6. Worked great. She said that although the questions were harder and there were more detailed questions, she preferred the test to the written tests.

Comments: When the test was graded and she was reviewing the questions she had missed, there was one that she was marked wrong for, but she answered correctly. I checked the book myself. (I will forward that to Neil at National. There are bound to be a few of these snafus to occur). HOWEVER, it made me think that there should be a way that the cadet's test is "locked" in place so that if they fail the test twice and has to be reviewed by a senior member, the SM could access the testing system, pull up that cadet's tests, and see where the problem was so they can identify the cadet's problem areas and help them study. It will also assist with making sure that a cadet was not the victim of an accident with the new system. The tests could even be data-dumped after 45 days so they don't have to remain in memory forever, just long enough to be pulled up if necessary.
I have completed the Transition to the L2L policy for our squadron. The meat of it is listed below for those of you that are interested.

a. All Aerospace tests will be done online by all cadets.
b. Cadet Airmen (only having completed Curry Award) will immediately transition to the Learn To Lead curriculum and begin testing online.
c. Cadet Airmen First Class and Cadet Senior Airmen will continue to use the Leadership for the 21st Century (Vol 1) text and take written tests through the Wright Brothers Exam. After completing the Wright Brothers Exam, the cadet will transition to the Learn To Lead Curriculum (Module Two) and begin testing online. They will also be responsible for learning the Learn To Lead (Module One) as they will test for the Mitchell Exam under the Learn To Lead curriculum. *** These cadets may transition to the Learn To Lead, (Module One), if they want to, immediately by writing a memo stating such and forwarding through their chain of command to the Deputy Commander for Cadets.
d. Cadet Staff and Technical Sergeants will immediately transition to the Learn To Lead (Module Two) and begin testing online. They will also be responsible for learning the Learn To Lead (Module One) as they will test for the Mitchell Exam under the Learn To Lead curriculum.
e. Cadet Master, Senior Master, and Chief Master Sergeants will continue to use the Leadership for the 21st Century(Vol. 1) text and take written tests through the Mitchell Exam. They may NOT transition to the Learn To Lead, (Module Two), for testing purposes.
f. Cadet officers will continue to use the Leadership for the 21st Century(Vol.2). The Learn to Lead curriculum and tests for cadet officers are not scheduled to be released until 2011.
g. All cadet officers and senior NCOs (Master Sergeant & higher) are required to study and have a working knowledge of Learn To Lead, (Module One & Two) by 15 AUG 2010 as they will be teaching and mentoring cadets who are following the Learn To Lead curriculum.

Also amended promotion boards to require more of them and require the board to ask three generalized questions over the academic study material.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

c/LTCOLorbust

Now maybe I'm asking a dumb question but.. has any one got the new book? We never received ours from NHQ..  Also is there a reg? In other words, where is my rule book?
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

jimmydeanno

Quote from: c/LTCOLorbust on July 15, 2010, 02:58:02 PM
Now maybe I'm asking a dumb question but.. has any one got the new book? We never received ours from NHQ..  Also is there a reg? In other words, where is my rule book?

They aren't done being printed yet.  Nobody has received a new book from NHQ yet.  Towards the end of this month, each squadron will be receiving a gift box from NHQ that will include a few copies of the new books, cadet drill guides, the rules for online testing, resource guides, etc.  Consider it, Christmas in July.

In the meantime, the online version is available for you and once the new ones are printed, the new cadets will begin receiving theirs and Vanguard will have them in stock.

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 16, 2010, 02:34:22 AM

They aren't done being printed yet.  Nobody has received a new book from NHQ yet.  Towards the end of this month, each squadron will be receiving a gift box from NHQ that will include a few copies of the new books, cadet drill guides, the rules for online testing, resource guides, etc.  Consider it, Christmas in July.

In the meantime, the online version is available for you and once the new ones are printed, the new cadets will begin receiving theirs and Vanguard will have them in stock.

Shouldn't all of that have come out before the tests?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Cobra1597

Quote from: davidsinn on July 16, 2010, 04:12:43 PM

The textbooks were available online in PDF form before the tests went online.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

davidsinn

Quote from: Cobra1597 on July 16, 2010, 07:16:01 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 16, 2010, 04:12:43 PM

The textbooks were available online in PDF form before the tests went online.

Yes but where are the regs controlling the online testing?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

There is now a slide presentation online that can be used to brief people on the new books and online tests. I got the briefing from Curt LaFond while I was at COS, and it really improved my understanding of how the whole system will work.

http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/index.cfm/l2l__online_testing_presentation?show=entry&blogID=197

Capt Rivera

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 13, 2010, 07:36:47 PM
Also amended promotion boards to require more of them and require the board to ask three generalized questions over the academic study material.

Thought we were not supposed to ask questions from the academic studies in review boards. Did that change?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Capt Rivera

Quote from: DC on July 19, 2010, 05:12:36 PM
There is now a slide presentation online that can be used to brief people on the new books and online tests. I got the briefing from Curt LaFond while I was at COS, and it really improved my understanding of how the whole system will work.

http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/index.cfm/l2l__online_testing_presentation?show=entry&blogID=197

Thanks for posting the link DC... Will have to check that out.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Capt Rivera on July 19, 2010, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 13, 2010, 07:36:47 PM

Thought we were not supposed to ask questions from the academic studies in review boards. Did that change?

It is not in the form of a test question, it is more generalized, such as (for a phase 1 cadet) "What does followship mean to you?"  or "Give an example of how you overcame a barrier to communication within the last two months." 

These aren't test questions, but more about comprehension of the material questions.  They are not being re-tested.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 23, 2010, 11:14:36 PM

"Give an example of how you overcame a barrier to communication within the last two months." 

These aren't test questions, but more about comprehension of the material questions.  They are not being re-tested.

That's a good type of question. One that will well prepare cadets for the other things in life like job interviews, etc...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Capt Rivera

Anyone else have a different policy they would like to share? I would love to see the official copy provided to cadets, it may help hours be more understandable for the entire age range & parents...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander