DDRX no longer part of QCUA?

Started by Eclipse, February 09, 2017, 03:49:46 PM

CAPDCCMOM

I completely agree that the Senior Officers modeling a sober lifestyle and behavior is the best way to deal with this issue. So, in keeping with that, I hope that all Wing Conferences will be "dry" events. I really would rather not have Cadets see their Leadership blind drunk at said Conferences.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 09, 2017, 08:51:21 PM
I completely agree that the Senior Officers modeling a sober lifestyle and behavior is the best way to deal with this issue. So, in keeping with that, I hope that all Wing Conferences will be "dry" events. I really would rather not have Cadets see their Leadership blind drunk at said Conferences.

Didn't we just talk about moderation? Abstinence doesn't work. At all.

CAPDCCMOM

Unfortunately, there is no "moderation" with heroin, or most opioids. There is also no moderation for those under 21. If a person does not have a problem with drinking, they can remain sober for a weekend, if they can't, they have no business drinking in the first place.

Eclipse

I'm of two minds on this.  I don't drink, so on the one hand, as far as I'm concerned, the whole
alcohol situation is a huge chunk of background noise I'd just as soon see go away. A history of
alcoholism and / or heavy use on both sides of my family kinda shaped that for me.

I'd also agree that in a perfect world, the wing conference would stay out of the hotel bar,
and go into the Cafe after dinner, but the world isn't perfect, and...

...with that said...

Adults should be able to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with their dinner or to relax themselves
in the evening with friends, etc., alcohol is legal for consumption, carries with it a lot of tradition
and seeing adults imbibing in moderation is probably just as much of a good model as whole-scale abstinence,
because the latter can sometimes either demonize or mysticize alcohol making it all the more attractive
to adolescents.

There's a difference between toasting the fallen and seeing shoulder eagles flying across a ping pong table
for the last score.  If you're "one and done", no foul.  If you're still there at closing time and can't see across the table
for the bottles, that an issue 4 different ways.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDCCMOM

Eclispe, very well said. I was not trying to be Carrie Nation and take us all the way back to prohibition, I promise. Like you, I assume, I have seen holidays, weddings, funerals, Super Bowls, and Tuesdays ruined when people could not be "one and done".

Having a beverage while with family and friends is fine. But, and here is my point, we would not have a cooler of beer at the Squadron BBQ, nor should we imbibe at the Conference. And for the same reason, we expect to deal with Cadets. The only way around this is to make the Conference a "Senior Officer Only" event

LATORRECA

Reading the Q&A in this forum hasn't answered the question why.
Maybe I said maybe is because the population of cadets in the CP are the more clean cut cadet that doesn't do drugs and if happen they prefer to leave the program first before going that path. I'm just saying.
I was never  successful because our cadet Corp doesn't have a drug problem and as I read before its more of a cookie cutter designed to help the young kids and not the older cadets.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk