Hammerhead Directional Finder - 121.5/121.775

Started by Stonewall, November 28, 2021, 01:50:31 AM

SARDOC

I think Arizona wing bought at least 10 of these.  I'm not sure what their opinion is of them though.  If you're interested I'd reach out to them for reviews. 

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on November 15, 2023, 12:29:39 AMI think Arizona wing bought at least 10 of these. 

They bought 10 DF units not intended for land use?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2023, 01:49:57 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on November 15, 2023, 12:29:39 AMI think Arizona wing bought at least 10 of these. 

Why can't they be used on land? One of the ads shows it used in ski country. A DF unit is a DF unit; 121.5 is 121.5. This one happens to be waterproof, but it still does the job.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

From page 4 of the owners manual:
Note: The Hammerhead is to be used for beacons located on water only (it requires a vertically polarized signal).  Underline per the manual.

However, from the FAQ page (http://rffindingsystems.com/FAQs.html)
Why can't the Hammerhead be used on land?

The Hammerhead is designed for vertically polarized signals, which is pretty much guaranteed if the beacon is on water. That is the antenna should be pointed up in the sky. When a beacon is on land, the antenna may be horizontal to the ground or even pointed upside down. In such situation, the directional indictor may not be valid.

The range can be severely limited due to non line-of-sight operation as hills or other obstacles can absorb the signal. In other cases when the signal is reflected, the direction may indicate the reflected direction not the actual beacon direction.

An advanced/expert user may be able to use the product on land, but due to the complexity and skill involved, the Hammerhead is not sold for direction finding on land.
------------------
So in fact it can be used on land. And if one is really interested in how it works, you can download the patent application, which is 20140002306

Mike

SarDragon

I think that's just a "cover their ass" statement. The L-per is primarily vertically polarized, and it works just fine. Vary the position on every axis to maximize the signal, and prosecute the fix.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

This thing is awesome:

https://www.krakenrf.com/

Watch the youtube videos of folks using it in the real world. It usually takes about 10 minutes or less for a dot to show up on the map of where the signal is originating from.

They're currently testing a new feature where you can connect multiple systems together. Imagine placing a few of these around town, constantly monitoring 121.5, especially near airports. There will likely be a map pinpointing the location of the beacon before the AFRCC even calls you.

SARDOC

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2023, 01:49:57 AM

You'd have to ask them, but I think they've been using it in training without any issues.

heliodoc

SARDOC

Thought they went the way of Radio Shack, didn't they?   That's where I bought mine in 1975......

Have mine but parts are loose and I need to see what it needs

Be handy if Realistic or someone could gain the rights and reproduce/ manufacture them...

SARDOC

Quote from: heliodoc on December 01, 2023, 08:28:24 PMSARDOC

Thought they went the way of Radio Shack, didn't they?   That's where I bought mine in 1975......

Have mine but parts are loose and I need to see what it needs

Be handy if Realistic or someone could gain the rights and reproduce/ manufacture them...

I just like that the solution to outdated piece of technology that isn't manufactured anymore and almost impossible to get parts for and maintain is an outdated piece of technology that isn't manufactured anymore and almost impossible to get parts for and maintain.

Stonewall

Quote from: SARDOC on November 30, 2023, 07:21:25 PM
Quote from: NIN on November 29, 2021, 12:40:31 PMHmmm. Let's see...  survey says.....

Do they even make these anymore?

I have about 10. Other than the one I bought from Radio Shack 30+ years ago, I bought the others from eBay for anywhere from $20 to $40 in the past five years.

90% of the ELTs I've found in 35+ years have been found with a JetStream.
Serving since 1987.