National Board Uniform Changes 2013

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

SierraOneThree

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 19, 2013, 02:36:58 AMShows again what you know.  The ABU was worn outside the wire until 2011/2012 in both Iraq and Afghanistan.  Do your homework before spouting off on what you don't know.

Thread is dead, wahey. Point/counterpoints can be fun. :D

I will take a step back and admit error: ABUs were worn outside the wire. However, it was to a fairly limited extent, as Airmen were using the ABSG fatigues rather than the actual "Airman Battle Uniform". The ABSG was used for a short time until the Army started issuing OCP, at which point most if not all airmen leaving compound were wearing those instead.

flyboy53

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on August 19, 2013, 03:34:19 AM
I had never seen the statute myself. I was informed by a staff member in my squadron that it was because of the popularity of hunting in my state, I had thought that he also told me that it was required by state law, but I suppose that I could have made that part up. Funny I had just found the statute when I came back to CAPtalk and saw someone had already beat me to the punch.

Since when? That orange hat has been a STANDARD PA WING RANGER uniform item since I was a cadet in the 1960s. It has nothing to do with hunting. As an aircrew member, though I can tell you that survival orange what-ever stands out in the field -- whether your like it or not.

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 19, 2013, 03:35:42 AM
The Overseas Wing Patch was a stand-in for any wing patch. They had to pick one, that's the one they used as a place holder.

Essentially, the ABUs would be set up identically to the BDUs. Just changing the color of the tapes, and removing the US Flag.

Additionally they stated they would push to use the same tapes on both BBDUs and ABUs.

No one has yet to really answer if the wing patch is going to be optional or not -- or whether the same rule applies as with the BDUs -- that its optional and the space is also where special activities patches can be worn?

As far as the flag patch is concerned, that was a product of the Hurricane Katrinia operation. Either or, it doesn't matter to me. However, I'm in favor of limiting (by personal choice) what would be worn on this uniform.

Either way you cut it, this is a cool uniform development. I would hope that people would show some restraint and limit what insignia is worn. Too much bling on what is essentially a utility or field uniform and it really doesn't look that professional.

NIN

Quote from: AngelWings on August 19, 2013, 01:50:52 AM
What I don't understand is the logic behind the whole "distinctive" features, like having navy blue tapes. I liked the idea of green and white, ABU, etc. but Navy blue is hideous on the uniform IMO. The patches make it look nothing short of a boy scout uniform. The black boots, while understandably kept because ABU boots can be expensive, are ridiculous looking with ABUs.

It's not distinctive, it's nothing short of hilarious.

And ultramarine on green, brown, tan and black was "complimentary?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Patterson

So how many will be running out to buy ABUs today??  >:D >:D

skymaster

Just as a point of comparison, here are examples of the Air Force's own ABU tape versus the proposed CAP-distinctive tape.

Here is the Air Force ABU pattern tape below:

And here is the proposed CAP-distinctive tape:

The colour of blue on the proposed CAP-distinctive tape actually looks better (on a uniform that is mostly different shades of grey, with a little green thrown in), than the ultramarine and white tapes we wear now. While I personally think that ABU-coloured tapes on the appropriate locations on the uniform, that clearly say "CIVIL AIR PATROL" and the wearer's name are distinctive enough, this more CAP-distinct version actually doesn't look too bad. Also, the Navy blue of colour of the tape material is actually almost the same colour as the embroidered letters on the ABU pattern tapes, and the colour of silver thread used on the CAP-distinctive tapes is really a shade of grey, that is virtually the same shade of grey most predominant in the material of the ABU pattern tape itself.  So really, if you think about it, it is actually all the same colours on both, just with the background and thread colours reversed for distinctiveness.

Rick-DEL

Is there any announcement of this out there? Nothing on CAP's site that I can see....maybe I'm missing it.

Luis R. Ramos

No, there is no announcement as it does not have final approval. It was an informational piece presented at the National Conference that someone decided to post here.

Because members had been speculating about this for a loooong time, they are now gaga about this.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Rick-DEL

Thanks Flyer, that's what I thought. Just making sure I'm not in expanded Monday Morning Mode  :o

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 19, 2013, 10:31:56 AM
Either way you cut it, this is a cool uniform development. I would hope that people would show some restraint and limit what insignia is worn. Too much bling on what is essentially a utility or field uniform and it really doesn't look that professional.
(Emphasis mine)

Which Civil Air Patrol are YOU in?  8)

You *know* that people are gonna clown suit the hell out of this. Because they can.

Used to be that the AFMAN (back when it was an AFI, I think) talked about the concept of the AF uniform being a neat, professional uniform with a minimum of gee-gaw, etc.  (thats not quite what it said.. I wish I could remember the verbiage)

The AFMAN no longer states anything of the sort.   And CAP, well...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Can't wait till people show up wearing this:

and  this:

And go "What? Its ABU pattern!"

(The first is the fire-resistant ABU, cousin to the Army's FRACU. Note the sleeve pockets and velrco name patch.  Its a nomex uniform, not 50/50 NyCo.  The second is the combat shirt, designed for wear underneath BODY ARMOR. Not load bearing vests. BODY ARMOR..)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

4fhoward

I think we would look really great in Realtree camo.
It can be purchased at any good truck stop and you can even purchase matching underwear that way there wouldn't need to a fight over what color of t-shirt we would wear under the uniform, everyone would wear Realtree.
Think of the hats, oh the many hats that could be worn with Realtree.

NIN

Quote from: 4fhoward on August 19, 2013, 01:34:21 PM
I think we would look really great in Realtree camo.
It can be purchased at any good truck stop and you can even purchase matching underwear that way there wouldn't need to a fight over what color of t-shirt we would wear under the uniform, everyone would wear Realtree.
Think of the hats, oh the many hats that could be worn with Realtree.

I want a CAT hat.  I'll wear a Peterbilt hat in the field.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: NIN on August 19, 2013, 01:02:19 PM
You *know* that people are gonna clown suit the hell out of this. Because they can.

Like this.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on August 19, 2013, 01:39:01 PM

Like this.

"I don't go out with girls anymore, I live a life of danger (the rest is unsuitable for CAPTalk)... Wheee! I'm a Ranger!"   ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

vento

A correct and up to date CAPM 39-1, IMHO, is a lot more important than us switching to the ABU.
I hope the discussion about the ABU won't distract the NUC in releasing a meaningful and useful CAPM 39-1.

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 19, 2013, 01:50:55 PM

Like this.

"I don't go out with girls anymore, I live a life of danger (the rest is unsuitable for CAPTalk)... Wheee! I'm a Ranger!"   ;D

We need to get Johnny Rivers on the phone NOW!

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: vento on August 19, 2013, 06:00:12 PM
A correct and up to date CAPM 39-1, IMHO, is a lot more important than us switching to the ABU.
I hope the discussion about the ABU won't distract the NUC in releasing a meaningful and useful CAPM 39-1.

And hopefully which allows for corrections of errors and omissions my staff without a board action.

Also...

>All< the illustrations need to be redone, in the same style, and with up to date graphics.

The photos should be taken on mannequins to remove any "personality" in the images.

The entire document should be online, searchable, and linkable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Peeka

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 18, 2013, 11:39:30 PM

Funny you should say that, because Maj Gen Carr said he checks CAPTalk every day!

(I'm not kidding either, he did say that)

Have a link for that? I believe you, I just want to read that myself.

Mitchell 1969

Like this.

I dunno. If the orange cap is "state law," maybe the white belt is "county ordinance." The scarf, of course, is simply "the rule of way cool."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.