National Board Uniform Changes 2013

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

SierraOneThree

BDUs with full color patches and blue tapes looks fine. ABUs with blue tapes and insignia would/will be fine. But as soon as all those bright and neon colors get tossed in it just starts to clash, which seems to be the general consensus to those who actually wanted ABUs. :(

There's a reason USAF is fully-subdued on their uniforms. And my question is if it's recognized that BDUs with color patches looks odd, why does that force us to continue with bright patches on the new uniform?

Eclipse, I haven't posted a strong opinion about hats anywhere. Or that my uniform looks like a clown suit, considering I'm talking about the proposal and not the current uniform.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SierraOneThree

Aaaalright. I've already got BlueDUs, I don't mind that. But then I'll be with people who are wearing them by mandate, as it's a uniform change, not addition, and looking silly that way. From what I've observed, the opinions against the current proposition strongly outweighs the opinions for it.

Either way I'll bail now. The general attitudes won't change and we don't know what the final draft will hold anyway, so until we know more the point is moot. I'm out.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DeSoto on August 19, 2013, 01:36:14 AM
Aaaalright. I've already got BlueDUs, I don't mind that. But then I'll be with people who are wearing them by mandate, as it's a uniform change, not addition, and looking silly that way. From what I've observed, the opinions against the current proposition strongly outweighs the opinions for it.

Either way I'll bail now. The general attitudes won't change and we don't know what the final draft will hold anyway, so until we know more the point is moot. I'm out.

::) ::) ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: DeSoto on August 19, 2013, 01:36:14 AMwearing them by mandate, as it's a uniform change, not addition,

Um, what?

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

What I don't understand is the logic behind the whole "distinctive" features, like having navy blue tapes. I liked the idea of green and white, ABU, etc. but Navy blue is hideous on the uniform IMO. The patches make it look nothing short of a boy scout uniform. The black boots, while understandably kept because ABU boots can be expensive, are ridiculous looking with ABUs.

It's not distinctive, it's nothing short of hilarious.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AngelWings on August 19, 2013, 01:50:52 AM
What I don't understand is the logic behind the whole "distinctive" features, like having navy blue tapes. I liked the idea of green and white, ABU, etc. but Navy blue is hideous on the uniform IMO. The patches make it look nothing short of a boy scout uniform. The black boots, while understandably kept because ABU boots can be expensive, are ridiculous looking with ABUs.

It's not distinctive, it's nothing short of hilarious.

Not hardkewl enough?

NC Hokie

I'll probably regret this...

Oh well, full speed ahead!

Quote from: DeSoto on August 19, 2013, 01:25:41 AM
There's a reason USAF is fully-subdued on their uniforms. And my question is if it's recognized that BDUs with color patches looks odd, why does that force us to continue with bright patches on the new uniform?

You're right, there IS a reason that the USAF uses fully subdued insignia.  That reason is because they wear those uniforms in a combat environment, not because they look good.  Looking good is just a happy byproduct of that reality.

To answer your question, the USAF requirement that our uniforms be distinctive is among the reasons that we get to use full color insignia on our versions of their uniforms.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Luis R. Ramos

Angel, and DeSoto-

Commenter 1:  And now stepping off from the van, in snappy sage green boots, Ground Members of Team 1!

Commenter 2: But wait, they are outshined by Ground Team 2 who had perfectly shiny silver-threaded name tapes and CAP tapes in Navy Blue!

Commenter 1: ...and you see that? One of the grade insignias are off...

NOT!!!

We are not performing in a fashion show.

Don't like them? Just do as Eclipse said.

Don't wear them.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SierraOneThree

Screw it.

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 19, 2013, 02:14:25 AM
I'll probably regret this...

I already regret coming on here again. :/

You're right, there IS a reason that the USAF uses fully subdued insignia.  That reason is because they wear those uniforms in a combat environment, not because they look good.  Looking good is just a happy byproduct of that reality.

To answer your question, the USAF requirement that our uniforms be distinctive is among the reasons that we get to use full color insignia on our versions of their uniforms.

The ABU hasn't been used outside the wire in years, even since before it was being phased in. The airmen on patrol there had them for those patrols, but then they started wearing the OCP ACUs anyway, negating any need for subdued anything.

Except, military uniforms are a fashion show. How do you think the ABU and NWU even came into actual military service, because I'll tell you how they didn't: functionality.

Spaceman3750

It's too bad that our cadets' collective time will continue to be wasted trying to put a mirror polish on their Rothco jungle boots...

Nearly Dark Side

Ok so I have seen a lot of uniform statements and questions, but I have one that I believe is unique to PA Wing. We are required by state law to wear orange covers because of the common hunting in our state. Because the colors of the ABU's are not designed for a woodland environment will we be allowed to wear the ABU cover? or would we be required to keep our orange covers, which to be honest would be horrific if combined with the ABU's.

Archer

What's not distinctive enough about ABU-patterned tapes that say "CIVIL AIR PATROL" in midnight-blue thread? Need to step it up a notch? Use silver-reflective thread on ABU-pattern.

abdsp51

Quote from: DeSoto on August 18, 2013, 11:00:10 PM
USAF doesn't wear the flag on their uniforms.

Yes they do.  Do your homework before spouting off.  The flag is worn the flight suit and OCPs when down range.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: AngelWings on August 19, 2013, 01:50:52 AM
The black boots, while understandably kept because ABU boots can be expensive, are ridiculous looking with ABUs.

I wonder.....how much of the objection is due to an actual judgement of ridiculousness, as opposed to just comparing the look to what USAF has?  I mean, suppose USF had never gone with green boots?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Don't recall any CAP Ground Teams going "Outside the Wire"...  Matter of fact, they're not even in the AOR...

So what's your point?

Eclipse

Quote from: Archer on August 19, 2013, 02:28:46 AM
What's not distinctive enough about ABU-patterned tapes that say "CIVIL AIR PATROL" in midnight-blue thread? Need to step it up a notch? Use silver-reflective thread on ABU-pattern.

That would be essentially invisible.

"That Others May Zoom"

SierraOneThree

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 19, 2013, 02:29:03 AM
Quote from: DeSoto on August 18, 2013, 11:00:10 PM
USAF doesn't wear the flag on their uniforms.

Yes they do.  Do your homework before spouting off.  The flag is worn the flight suit and OCPs when down range.

On ABUs. We're talking about ABUs, logically I'd be referencing an AF-specific uniform. Flight suits were never brought up, but I will clarify for future reference I suppose.

Quote from: PHall on August 19, 2013, 02:30:01 AM
Don't recall any CAP Ground Teams going "Outside the Wire"...  Matter of fact, they're not even in the AOR...

So what's your point?

I was responding to his reasoning why USAF has subdued patches....

AngelWings

I'm making the switch to BlueDUs because I'm approaching a chance in my life to wear a different Blue uniform that goes under a tan and silver reflective striped protective outfit. I'll be in ABUs soon enough, the Air Guard isn't too far away either.

Does it matter? No, I'll enjoy watching a bunch of little kiddos (like I used to be when I joined CAP) getting the ABUs. They'll enjoy them, and hopefully CAP will let younger kids in the program (taking back earlier statements I've made before). I think they'll appreciate the CAP version of the ABUs the most. They make toddler and child sized ABUs that'd fit most young kids perfectly. I'll certainly get a good smile. Senior Members wearing the CAP ABU? Now that will be a true sight to see.

abdsp51

Quote from: DeSoto on August 19, 2013, 02:22:39 AM
The ABU hasn't been used outside the wire in years, even since before it was being phased in. The airmen on patrol there had them for those patrols, but then they started wearing the OCP ACUs anyway, negating any need for subdued anything.

Except, military uniforms are a fashion show. How do you think the ABU and NWU even came into actual military service, because I'll tell you how they didn't: functionality.

Shows again what you know.  The ABU was worn outside the wire until 2011/2012 in both Iraq and Afghanistan.  Do your homework before spouting off on what you don't know.