National Board Uniform Changes 2013

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 16, 2013, 09:02:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 16, 2013, 08:59:41 PM
^ Here you go - someone needs to get Adsense on here and that could fund NCC!

Certainly a great idea!

I'm looking at it, and realize that our patches all have the ultramarine blue on them...

kd8gua

I read the statement about BDUs becoming CAP Distinctive in the draft of 39-1. No, I don't have a copy to quote and share, but I did read it, and so the changes being discussed are not new to me, I just chose not to discuss them here prior to the announcements at Denver.

And yes, almost all CAP activity or specialty patches have some amount of ultramarine in them. That's why changing the tape/insignia color is just a bit weird. And has anyone considered that using navy/silver tapes on the BBDU would make us look a lot more like the navy in low light conditions?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Майор Хаткевич

RogueLeader

Quote from: kd8gua on August 18, 2013, 12:31:23 AM
And has anyone considered that using navy/silver tapes on the BBDU would make us look a lot more like the navy in low light conditions?

I have not noticed if the Navy has worried about us looking like them in low light conditions, only the Air Force.  Have you?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

kd8gua

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 18, 2013, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: kd8gua on August 18, 2013, 12:31:23 AM
And has anyone considered that using navy/silver tapes on the BBDU would make us look a lot more like the navy in low light conditions?

I have not noticed if the Navy has worried about us looking like them in low light conditions, only the Air Force.  Have you?

No. That's true.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

Майор Хаткевич

kd8gua, what does this mean for your nametape search?  >:D

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2013, 06:26:41 PM
Not required and prohibited are not the same thing.  Mess Dress allows for the wear of headgear in the winter, as least as far as the AFIs are concerned
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:
Headgear. The only authorized headgear for the formal dress uniform is the blue winter cap. The blue winter cap will only be worn with a full
length outer garment. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 6.2.6 through 6.2.6.3.

So there is an allowance for it but there must be an outer garment worn as well and not just the mess dress uniform itself.

kd8gua

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 18, 2013, 01:07:03 AM
kd8gua, what does this mean for your nametape search?  >:D
Well, I have a supplier who still has the old machinery, so I can get some old style last name tapes in the new colors. Obviously they won't do CAP itself, but at any rate...

...and... I will be putting out requests for all of the old style CAP tapes I can find! Should get them for next to nothing now!
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

Archer

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 18, 2013, 01:17:38 AM
Not required and prohibited are not the same thing.  Mess Dress allows for the wear of headgear in the winter, as least as far as the AFIs are concerned
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:
Headgear. The only authorized headgear for the formal dress uniform is the blue winter cap. The blue winter cap will only be worn with a full
length outer garment. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 6.2.6 through 6.2.6.3.

So there is an allowance for it but there must be an outer garment worn as well and not just the mess dress uniform itself.

AFI 36-2903 doesn't apply to us.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Archer on August 18, 2013, 02:44:58 AM
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:

He never said it did.  Most experienced leaders have realized that when 39-1 does not cover what we need to know, we look at the relevant AFI and use that for guidance as to how we can best do something.  When in Rome. . . .

While we can not be giged for having a cover in Mess Dress without a full length coat in CAP, it could get some interested looks/questions by AF personnel.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Archer

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 18, 2013, 03:03:48 AM
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:

He never said it did.  Most experienced leaders have realized that when 39-1 does not cover what we need to know, we look at the relevant AFI and use that for guidance as to how we can best do something.  When in Rome. . . .

While we can not be giged for having a cover in Mess Dress without a full length coat in CAP, it could get some interested looks/questions by AF personnel.

Just need to make sure our members understand 2903 is advisory in nature; not regulatory.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Archer on August 18, 2013, 03:18:10 AM
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:

Just need to make sure our members understand 2903 is advisory in nature; not regulatory.

Most won't even know what that is.

Archer

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 18, 2013, 03:28:12 AM
Quote from: Archer on August 18, 2013, 03:18:10 AM
last time I read them.

From AFI36-2903:

Most won't even know what that is.

Well, I mean when it's being used in discussion.

SierraOneThree

Aaaaaah, too much tunnel quoting.

I seriously cannot believe that HQAF signed off on the black boots. Prolly laughing plenty at us, though.

NCRblues

Quote from: DeSoto on August 18, 2013, 03:59:23 AM

I seriously cannot believe that HQAF signed off on the black boots. Prolly laughing plenty at us, though.

Why? Even some AFSCs in the AD world still use the black boots...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RogueLeader

You do realize that there are a certain number of USAF personnel that still wear black boots, where conditions would regularly des0troy the suede boots; right?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Anything but black would be a terrible idea in CAP, and wholly unnecessary.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

The ABU has NOT been signed off on for CAP. The proposal is still being finalized. What was shown was a mock up taking the AF's comments into account and put forth in a preview, a "Is this what you're thinking of" manner prior to the official proposal being submitted.

SierraOneThree

I'm aware black boots were still worn in USAF with ABUs, however the situations are general mechanics, maintenance, and engineering sectors. There are no such fields in CAP that I'm aware of that would require that.

I'm not sold.

From what was said earlier by the person who took the picture, HQAF has signed off on it, but it has to be approved by DOD. Was that mistaken?

Eclipse

Quote from: DeSoto on August 18, 2013, 04:24:34 AM
I'm aware black boots are still worn in USAF, however the situations are general mechanics, maintenance, and engineering sectors. There are no such fields in CAP that I'm aware of that would require that.

Why would you want anything but black?  What's to be sold on?

The average cadet would ruin suede boots the second time they wore them, not to mention they are
much more expensive then typical black boots, and can't be purchased in normal retail channels.

"That Others May Zoom"