National Board Uniform Changes 2013

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 12:14:53 AM
Point is we still don't k ow when.

We didn't with BDUs, either. We knew they were coming, but we didn't have the Internet to help us opine back then.

I got rid of everything I own that was woodland camouflage when I retired in 2009. I only have my BDU cap. Also got rid of all my ultramarine blue insignia (grade, badges, branch tapes).  I figure it would cost me about $150 to setup BDUs again.

So far I'm into ABUs for $55. And thats 1 shirt, three pair of trousers and a hat.

BTW, the "silver" is not like "honor guard cord silver" more like "a light grey" silver.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

I'm REALLY digging the overseas patch on the set up.

JK657

I'm figuring the mandatory wear date will coincide with the start of the new multi-branch camo that Congress has required... and the history will repeat itself

NIN

Quote from: JK657 on August 17, 2013, 01:00:45 AM
I'm figuring the mandatory wear date will coincide with the start of the new multi-branch camo that Congress has required... and the history will repeat itself

Sadly, I think you're more right than I want to believe :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

<Donning Nomex undies>

Susie Parker has said she expects the updated uniform manual to be released in Nov of this year. Yes, someone (not me) actually asked her "Nov of what year?" when she initially said Nov.

<throws the now empty gas can>

RiverAux

Quote from: NIN on August 17, 2013, 12:08:21 AM
When BDUs were first announced, EVERYBODY whined loudly about how it was going to look like crap with mixed formations of cadets in BDUs and pickle suits during the phase in period. "Two years of that!"

I think you're right about that.  When the Coast Guard authorized the Aux to wear the ODU, the working blue was gone so fast that I've never even seen one worn -- and I joined within months of the switch. 

lordmonar

Quote from: JK657 on August 17, 2013, 01:00:45 AM
You know...I don't really see much happening from this congressional requirement........The Navy just finished their utilities transformation.  Unless Congress and the DOD wants to spend a huge boat load of money to start it all again.....I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

My guess is that it will be watered down to "no new uniforms unless it is a joint uniform" which means we should get a good 10 years out of the current set up.

But like Eclipse....I could be wrong about that.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on August 17, 2013, 02:25:30 AM
Unless Congress and the DOD wants to spend a huge boat load of money to start it all again.....I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
You forget that this is Congress and the military that we're talking about.  The Navy already spent that money, so it doesn't matter anymore.  Congress figures that the military is already wasting money on too many uniform variants and they're looking at the long term efficiencies of combining them even if there is some wastage in the short term. 

NIN

Quote from: arajca on August 17, 2013, 01:26:59 AM
<Donning Nomex undies>

Susie Parker has said she expects the updated uniform manual to be released in Nov of this year. Yes, someone (not me) actually asked her "Nov of what year?" when she initially said Nov.

<throws the now empty gas can>

I understand the NUC has a draft that is presently sans photographs and diagrams.  I'm led to believe it is a ground-up rewrite and laid out to (more or less) mirror the AFMAN.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

The other thing to consider:

When BDUs were first introduced, we continued to wear white t-shirts underneath, like we did with the pickle suits.

Yes, it looked about as bad as you'd expect.  Fairly quickly (a year or so) someone said "Uh, that looks TERRIBLE. Brown or black, like the AF. Uniformly." and thats what we have now.

So yeah, we might get stuck with the whole black t-shirts thing, but that could change eventually.  And eventually, maybe even the boots.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

skymaster

Well, at least the navy blue nametapes, CAP tapes, and grade insignia would be available in very short order from Vanguard. The grade insignia is already stocked by Vanguard, as it is what is worn on the CAP Blue Flight Suit uniform, and the silver thread on navy blue nametapes are already being produced and sold by Vanguard as a U.S. Navy item, because those are the tapes that USN enlisted personnel E-1 through E-6 already wear on the USN coverall uniform. (These are also, BTW, the same colour nametapes that were worn by Col. Young and the USAF personnel on the television series "Stargate: Universe" on those dark blue uniforms that looked almost black under the studio lighting). So while it is still distinctive enough from the standard ABU tapes to meet the AF's "low light distinctiveness" requirement, it still matches the ABU better (in a complementary colour sort of way) than the ultramarine blue BDU tapes, is already producible in bulk since a sister service already wears the same thing, and has an Air Force connection (albeit from a television series portraying AF personnel in a distinctive uniform). It wouldn't be the first time a Stargate series type uniform item was adopted as a CAP uniform item; just look at the Cheyenne Mountain duty uniforms , and the CAP Blue BDU uniform and CAP blue flightsuit as examples.

FW

"They" brought back the National Board to do this?  >:D ;D

ol'fido

Well, nothing but BBDUs for me from now on.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Quote from: ol'fido on August 17, 2013, 02:07:56 PM
Well, nothing but BBDUs for me from now on.

I heard that about the smurf suit from a lot of folks about the time the pickle suits were headed out.

"I'll never wear BDUs!"

Heheh. Guess what? They did.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

Still no explanation as to why wearing camouflage makes any sense.  Did we ever decide who we were hiding from?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

capmaj

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2013, 03:23:38 PM
Still no explanation as to why wearing camouflage makes any sense.  Did we ever decide who we were hiding from?

Not hiding from anybody.

Wearing the uniform of the service of which we're the auxiliary.

Whats wrong with that?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

I was going to post sarcasm, but Nin's reply is best.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Private Investigator