Insole / Insert Suggestion for boots, or..

Started by a2capt, May 24, 2012, 03:29:25 PM

a2capt

Any suggestions on insoles?  .. I've used the gel stuff and came away with a .. not sure if it made any difference kind of opinion. I'm in the flat footed spectrum, though I've been told. Even by that machine that pushes the $50 "custom" Dr. Scholl's things, yet I see a distinctive arch when comparing to a photo of a flat foot.

I've seen the things that get baked in the oven at the MCX, and kinda laughed thinking it was too much hassle.  But having tried a multitude of cut to size consumer options from, all with similar results, I' figured I'd ask .. 

One thing they say is to not put them over any existing insole, but many of them are glued fairly well in place, yet are obviously an additional insert as they do lift on the edges, and are not sewn in. I'm afraid if I pull and bits get left, then it's "worse" than just having an additional layer.

manfredvonrichthofen

Here's the way I size and wear my boots... I think it's more the boot than the insole. Just my opinion...

When I get new boots I make sure they are good and snug, not room for my toes to wiggle when they are brand new, but not so tight that they are cramping my toes. The sole should feel halfway decent, they dot have to feel like an angel is touching my feet, but they are bearable. Then I wear them home, take them off and slather them wih saddle soap, and wear them in the shower... Mow your feet will stink after this, but yOu can get rid of that any way you wish, but let them dry on your feet. And it is up to you if you wear socks while Doin this, I do. After they have dried on your feet take them off and put a hefty coat of kiwi on them to soften them back up. Now your boot should be good and formed to the top and sides of your foot. And I always notice a significant increase in the comfort of the sole. If your foot is a bit loose in the boot, get a thin cut to fit insert and put it on top of the current insert.

Again, this is what I do, and I have had great luck with it. It is what I was told to do with my boots when I enlisted. Back then, we were still wearing BDUs and black boots. But when we changed to ACUs, I did the same thing with my rough out boots minus the kiwi and saddle soap. Do this at your own risk though, but it has always worked for me.

Also if you are buying cheap boots, you won't get very far no matter what you do. I find that this even worked with the last two pairs of boots I bought at Walmart, one was a pair of Bhramas, and the other is a pair of Herman Survivors. I love them both.

SarDragon

I have "flat" feet. That's an imprecise term.  If I wet the bottom of my foot, step on concrete or something else that will easily show my footprint, draw a line from the ball to the heel on the inside of the foot, and measure to the "arch", it's about 1/2" wide. Clinically flat. The Dr Scholl's machine correctly diagnoses the problem, but I have not purchased their product. I get something similar from my Navy podiatrist for free. They are hard plastic orthotics.

His recommendation is to remove any existing arch support, but not any flat insole that might be present. Put the orthotic under the flat insole.  If you have hard inserts, any remaining little lumps of insole quickly smash down to nothing. Those work for most of my shoes. For my flight boots, I can get away with the blue gel things having the thickest arch. Those also help fill up the too-wide boots for my skinny feet.

PM me and I can tell you more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I've never had much luck with insoles - it seems that no matter how much you spend, they all feel the same, and the more expensive / cushy ones can make boots and shoes too tight and actually cause more problems then they solve.

"That Others May Zoom"

dogboy

Silent Panther

Quote from: dogboy on May 26, 2012, 11:10:24 PM
Expensive but the best

http://www.superfeet.com/

I wear Superfeet Green

I wear the same ones. I bought them from a running store called Fleet Feet. I buy my running trainers and racers there, and the people there will watch you walk & help you find which color (read: strength of arch) you need. If you are in fact "flat footed", that will help you quite a bit. Whenever I'm going to be in my boots for longer than four hours, I slip my inserts into my boots. With them, I can go for hours before my feet hurt.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.