New ES Patch --need help posting the picture

Started by zonaman, July 12, 2011, 10:43:29 AM

coudano

Looks like world of warcraft icons / spells / buffs
lol

+1000 search and rescue for 30 minutes

haha

Hawk200

Quote from: zonaman on July 13, 2011, 04:42:29 AMI don't get it. Isn't the commutations patch a shield? . or maybe this is another 39-1 blackhole mystery.
The comm patch isn't really a shield in the same manner as the MAJCOM style patch is. There is a subtle but unique difference between the two.

Badges on the dress uniforms are a different concept. Why? Because, somewhere along the line, someone said so. It doesn't make sense to a lot of us, but it just is.

Don't feel that you have to make a major change CAP-wide to make a difference. It's a worthy goal, but don't be concerned about it right now. Study up and do well, keep your uniforms sharp, and you may end up seeing something that you can change for the better.

vento

Quote from: zonaman on July 13, 2011, 04:42:29 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on July 13, 2011, 04:21:51 AM
why not just make an ES version of the Communications patch and wear it in the same place (left pocket of BDU)

In that format it is doomed - shields are for HQ units, not qualifications

I don't get it. Isn't the commutations patch a shield? . or maybe this is another 39-1 blackhole mystery.

Otherwise that's not a bad idea except that you would have to choose one or the other insted of being able to wear both. I still like the idea.

Technically the Comm patch is a specialty patch. The ES specialty patch badge is not the same as the Pluto ES rating badge patch . If I am not mistaken, one cannot wear the Comm patch just for passing ACUT or qualify as MRO, one can only wear it after obtaining the Tech rating in Comm track. Same thing applies to the ES specialty patch (if made like the comm patch) vs the Pluto thing.

Edited: for transposed wording of patch and badge.

BuckeyeDEJ

Do we really need an emergency services patch of any kind at all?

I don't wear mine. What's the point? I already wear the wings, the ground-team badge and the commuications patch (mine's the old-school one, unsightly-tacky but hey, I was the only cadet in the 1980s operating with an Air Force frequency authorization and running a national net). Doesn't that already say everything the ES patch would just embarrasingly repeat? Really, think about it.

Besides, the patch is just unsightly. And I mean both iterations, not just the Pluto one with the eyes that look mangled these days. There's just no need for it, other than to have another piece of silly "bling."

Also, the post above, which was written while this one was (funny how the "preview" button works), references something I've never heard -- there's a difference between the emergency services patches with the plane and with the dog. That's a new one to me.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2011, 03:30:01 AM
I think the majority of us would prefer
that a general ES specialty badge were created for those non-operational ES specialties, and lose the T-34 and SARDog.

+1
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2011, 03:30:01 AM
I think the majority of us would prefer that a general ES specialty badge were created for those non-operational ES specialties, and lose the T-34 and SARDog.
Such a proposal is making its way up the food chain.

coudano

My preferences is qual badges for every qual,
but nothing for "just GES"

If every specialty has a qual,
and the GES patch/badge requires that you be qualified in GES plus something else
then the ES patch/badge is redundant

I'd like to see a "ground ops" badge for ground teams (not including gbd)
an "aircrew" badge/wings for nonpilot aircrew (scanner, observer, AP, ARCHER,etc)
"pilot" wings for qualified misison pilots
And a (one) MBSS badge for all the mbss jobs (including aobd and gbd, and all levels of IC)

Eclipse

I agree on the "no GES" badge.  GES is not a qualification, it is a pre-requisite to begin training.

On the base staff side there should be recognition of the difference between operational and non-operational roles.
If you're going to have a "branch director" badge, that's fine, but there should be one with wings and one with a GT symbol.
(You could just use the existing GBD badge and put a prop or wings in the middle).

Otherwise you could do the same variations on that theme for the others, but I would say a generic mission base staff is
enough.  Perhaps Comms should have a unique one.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

oh i guess i failed to add to my above pipe dream,

the star and wreath would not be given for "echelons" of positions,
but rather for time and experience (numbers of hours and sorties, and number of years fully qualified)
like they already are, for pilots

I would not remove the requirement to have been an MO or MP for AOBD
nor to have been a GTL from GBD.  So those people, having rightly earned them, could still wear their GT badge or Wings, even if they were standing in the mission base at this time.

Or they could (having rightly earned it) choose to wear the same "mission base staff" badge as section chiefs, MSA, MRO, CUL, FLM, FLS, safety, chaplain, pio, and IC

If you allow "wings plus one" they could even wear both.  Wings on top, of course.

Camas

Quote from: vento on July 13, 2011, 06:26:25 AM
If I am not mistaken, one cannot wear the Comm patch just for passing ACUT or qualify as MRO, one can only wear it after obtaining the Tech rating in Comm track.
That is correct. A popular misconception is that members may wear the comm badge once BCUT/ACUT or MRO requirements have been met - and that's not the way it works. You gotta have that comm tech rating IAW CAPP 214 to wear it.

Persona non grata

I think that if want to have a more capable emergency services force; we need to tie in specialty tracks with ES quals.

Example: Logistics PD track- Mission logistics

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

arajca

Quote from: eaker.cadet on July 13, 2011, 04:33:05 PM
I think that if want to have a more capable emergency services force; we need to tie in specialty tracks with ES quals.

So where do you tie in Cadet Programs? AE? Personnel?

What specialty track would GT be tied to?

arajca

Quote from: coudano on July 13, 2011, 03:57:52 PM

but rather for time and experience (numbers of hours and sorties, and number of years fully qualified)
If each ES qual had its own badge, then that would make sense. With all the base staff personnel using the same badge, it doesn't make sense.

coudano

Quote from: arajca on July 13, 2011, 06:21:53 PM

If he only worried about finance/admin, admin, logistics, public affairs, and comms (the stuff that we have in common with ICS) it  makes fine sense.

coudano

Quote from: arajca on July 13, 2011, 06:25:44 PM
Quote from: coudano on July 13, 2011, 03:57:52 PM

If each ES qual had its own badge, then that would make sense. With all the base staff personnel using the same badge, it doesn't make sense.

It makes sense to me, if your badge describes the "type", "nature" and "locatoin" of work you do.
And the star and wreath describe how much time and experience you have doing work of that type.

The "gt" badge means that you go get in a van, leave base, and work out in the field.
This includes GTM3, 2, 1, GTL, and UDF

The pilot and mission aircrew badges means that you get in an airplane, and go fly up in the sky.
This includes MP, TMP, MO, MS, AP, ARCHER, etc(?)

The mission base badge means that you work in and around the mission base.
IC, Senior Staff, Branch Directors, Section Chiefs, Comm, and staff assistants

lordmonar

You know....of all the useless bling we put on our BDUs and BBDUs the ES patch has got to rank right up there (right after the U.S. Flag).

First off....why sinlge out ES?

Is there a CP patch or an AE patch?

If you are at the mission base in BDUs...I am going to assume that you are in fact part of the ES team.
So it is multiply redundant redundant.

The Comm Patch is not the same....because CAP Comm is NOT ES.....even though we use their stuff for ES. 

So like I said.....next uniform I am not going to put an ES patch on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

I figure if you really want a badge that reflects your ES Quals, put your 101 Card in a plastic badge holder and clip it to your shirt.  Problem solved...

What do you wear if you're qualified to do just about everything?  I'm an IC1 and about the only qual I don't have is Mission Chaplain.  I'm not going to keep changing my shirt everytime I'm doing a different job at Mission Base or when I fly or when I'm out doing a UDF ELT search at the local airport.  Using qualification badges to tell people your function is not really practical.  Those of us who do a lot of different functions would need a boy scout type merit badge sash just to wear all of them.  That's why we have lanyards and position badges and name plates on the desks.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Persona non grata

Quote from: arajca on July 13, 2011, 06:21:53 PM

Not all of them would be tied in

Logistics
Finance
Admin/Personell
Ops
Communications
Safety
Health Services
IT

Persona non grata

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 13, 2011, 07:25:24 PM
I figure if you really want a badge that reflects your ES Quals, put your 101 Card in a plastic badge holder and clip it to your shirt.  Problem solved...

What do you wear if you're qualified to do just about everything?  I'm an IC1 and about the only qual I don't have is Mission Chaplain.  I'm not going to keep changing my shirt everytime I'm doing a different job at Mission Base or when I fly or when I'm out doing a UDF ELT search at the local airport.  Using qualification badges to tell people your function is not really practical.  Those of us who do a lot of different functions would need a boy scout type merit badge sash just to wear all of them.  That's why we have lanyards and position badges and name plates on the desks.

The BSA has figured it out ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 13, 2011, 07:25:24 PMWhat do you wear if you're qualified to do just about everything? 

The "jack of all trades, master of none badge".

"That Others May Zoom"