Main Menu

Short Stacking

Started by Zen Master Charlie, July 05, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

MSG Mac

Quote from: CyBorg on July 05, 2011, 04:55:46 AM
Quote from: arajca on July 05, 2011, 01:16:38 AM
...National Board and would probably be sent to the uniform committee who is supposed to be developing a cohesive uniform policy/program for CAP.

A former squadron had several dual-status CAP/AFJROTC cadets, and they were allowed to wear ribbons from both.

I remember one cadet who had so many he had to wear them four to a row, and they still came up almost to his epaulettes.

They are only allowed to wear three (3) JROTC ribbons with the CAP uniform
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:48:54 AMThat brings up another good reason I want to have the ability to short stack. Were all volunteer members, and we pay CAP enough from our pockets as it is, some of us, a few dollars, and some of us, thousands of dollers, but when it comes to my ribbons, every time I get a new one or break a rack etc, I have to get a new rack, and taking ribbons off old racks and putting them on new racks they get frayed or bent. My last complete rack replacement cost $45... Its not like I just have that laying round, Im a poor student!!!!

Are you saying you have the money to do the things you do that result in getting a new ribbon....but you don't have the $1 to buy the new ribbon?  :'(

My philosophy on the "some" option has always been two fold.

1)  The AD Air Force does not do it.....nor should we.
2) Short stacking basically tells all the lower ranking members that their ribbons don't mean squat....because the higher ups are too lazy to bother to wear them.

Now I will agree that we have too many ribbons (especially the cadets).  We can eliminate a lot of cadet ribbons by doing away with all of the acheivemtn and milestone ribbons, except two.  Keep the Curry and the Spaatz.  That would eliminate the majority of the problem right there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2011, 05:58:02 PM
Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:48:54 AMThat brings up another good reason I want to have the ability to short stack. Were all volunteer members, and we pay CAP enough from our pockets as it is, some of us, a few dollars, and some of us, thousands of dollers, but when it comes to my ribbons, every time I get a new one or break a rack etc, I have to get a new rack, and taking ribbons off old racks and putting them on new racks they get frayed or bent. My last complete rack replacement cost $45... Its not like I just have that laying round, Im a poor student!!!!

Are you saying you have the money to do the things you do that result in getting a new ribbon....but you don't have the $1 to buy the new ribbon?  :'(

Yes, infact I am... Lets see here now:
Search Mission (didnt cost me anything) - Find Ribbon $1
VFW NCO of the Year ribbon (All I had to do was my job, didnt cost me anything) - VFW Ribbon $1
Recruiting two friends (didnt cost me anything but my time to talk to them) - Recruiter Ribbon $1
240+ Hours of Community Service (thats just volunteering, no money there) - Community Service ribbon and attachments - $3
6 Years in CAP - Red Service Ribbon and attachment $3
Just being a good cadet (no money exchanged) - Commanders Commendation ribbon $1
Being ina great Wing that all squadrons got nationally recognized - Unit Citation $1
/\       /\          /\               /\            /\                    /\               /\        - National Commanders Unit Citation $1
All of my acheivment and milestone ribbons (all I had to do was take a couple tests, no money here) - $11 plus attachments $2
Not to mention that ribbon racks as big as I wear arent cheap either!

Yes a few of them involve paying for the activity, such as encampment or NCSA's but I dont pay for those, Thats what parents are for!  ;D

So I'd say 90% of my ribbons were a result of a free activity for me, the other 10% are special activities. Hey, maybe I can just wear my special activities ribbons! NOT... ???
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

Now I will agree that we have too many ribbons (especially the cadets).  We can eliminate a lot of cadet ribbons by doing away with all of the acheivemtn and milestone ribbons, except two.  Keep the Curry and the Spaatz.  That would eliminate the majority of the problem right there.

I do agree for the most part, but I would sooner keep mitchell as well, because its a big step, but I'd definatly eliminate all of the achievment ribbons, and the erheart eaker and wright brothers.

But we need to stop these idiots wanting to add a NRA shooting ribbon to the list, WE DONT NEED ANY MORE RIBBONS!!!  :o

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:19:31 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2011, 05:58:02 PM

Yes, infact I am... Lets see here now:
Search Mission (didnt cost me anything) - Find Ribbon $1
VFW NCO of the Year ribbon (All I had to do was my job, didnt cost me anything) - VFW Ribbon $1
Recruiting two friends (didnt cost me anything but my time to talk to them) - Recruiter Ribbon $1
240+ Hours of Community Service (thats just volunteering, no money there) - Community Service ribbon and attachments - $3
6 Years in CAP - Red Service Ribbon and attachment $3
Just being a good cadet (no money exchanged) - Commanders Commendation ribbon $1
Being ina great Wing that all squadrons got nationally recognized - Unit Citation $1
/\       /\          /\               /\            /\                    /\               /\        - National Commanders Unit Citation $1
All of my acheivment and milestone ribbons (all I had to do was take a couple tests, no money here) - $11 plus attachments $2
Not to mention that ribbon racks as big as I wear arent cheap either!

Yes a few of them involve paying for the activity, such as encampment or NCSA's but I dont pay for those, Thats what parents are for!  ;D

So I'd say 90% of my ribbons were a result of a free activity for me, the other 10% are special activities. Hey, maybe I can just wear my special activities ribbons! NOT... ???

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:23:46 PM

I do agree for the most part, but I would sooner keep mitchell as well, because its a big step, but I'd definatly eliminate all of the achievment ribbons, and the erheart eaker and wright brothers.

But we need to stop these idiots wanting to add a NRA shooting ribbon to the list, WE DONT NEED ANY MORE RIBBONS!!!  :o

You are calling me an idiot.  :-[

I would rather have a ribbon for firearms training then the god awful dangley thing.

As for as "Too many ribbons"....I would have to disagree.  We have a good balance of ribbons for the most part (except all the acheivement ribbons).

Let's analyse what our cadets receive.

Recruiting......this is a good thing (we could roll the cadet and senior into one ribbon)
Encampment.....this is a good thing...not all cadets go to encampment....or go to multiple encampments
NCSA......again this is a good thing...not all cadets go to any NCSAs
CAC........extra duty and performance should be rewarded
NCGC.....good thing.....could be combined with the NCC
NCC.......see above
IACE.......I guess we could kill that one as a NCSA....but it is kind of prestigious.
Community Service.....I think this is a good one.
Homeland Security.....not many cadets can get this one.
Disaster Releif......again I think it is a pretty good one....and not many cadets get it.
SAR.....yes let's ax this one!  (please note the sarcams)
Find....see SAR
Red Service.....I guess this one can go...but we really do want to recognise longetvity.
VFW, AFSA, AFA.........We can loose all three of these IMHO.....replace them with a CAP cadet of the year award.
Curry-SPAATZ.....keep the Curry (call it the cadet training ribbon...add triangle for each mile stone)....Keep the Spaatz.(that axes 11 ribbons right there)
The rest are all unit and or personal decorations.....which ones do you suggest we kill?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2011, 08:18:38 PM
...snip...

I would rather have a ribbon for firearms training then the god awful dangley thing.

As for as "Too many ribbons"....I would have to disagree.  We have a good balance of ribbons for the most part (except all the acheivement ribbons).

...snip...
Red Service.....I guess this one can go...but we really do want to recognise longetvity.
VFW, AFSA, AFA.........We can loose all three of these IMHO.....replace them with a CAP cadet of the year award.
Curry-SPAATZ.....keep the Curry (call it the cadet training ribbon...add triangle for each mile stone)....Keep the Spaatz.(that axes 11 ribbons right there)
The rest are all unit and or personal decorations.....which ones do you suggest we kill?

As a female, I agree readily with gaining a ribbon for NRA qualifications. Or at least let the females wear the dangly thingy in the same position as the males.

As far as the ribbons, I agree with lordmonar on the parts that I snipped. However, the ones that are left I do see a purpose in.
-Red service ought to be kept because at a quick glance you can tell how long a person has been in, if they are keeping that ribbon up to date. There is nothing cooler in my mind then seeing a senior member with the "25" attachment or multiple devices attached to their Red Service. It show dedication to me.
-VFW, AFSA, AFA ribbons ought to be kept as well. This may just be the recipient in me speaking but having these ribbons offers the opportunity for cadets that do not have them to ask about them and possibly try to get them themselves. I have had several cadets ask me what the AFA stands for and the look on their face when I tell them what it is says it all.
-I think that we should keep the Curry, Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, and Spaatz ribbons. Each of these marks the end of a phase and the beginning of the next. Plus the "enlisted" cadet will then be used to only receiving a ribbon with the milestone awards instead of with every achievement once they reach officer.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 05, 2011, 05:03:50 PM

Per CAP regs, or JROTC regs?

This was back in the mid-'90s...a lot about CAP was different then, to put it mildly.

This cadet had more fruit salad than Colin Powell and Curtis LeMay put together.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on July 06, 2011, 04:45:59 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on July 05, 2011, 05:03:50 PM

Per CAP regs, or JROTC regs?

This was back in the mid-'90s...a lot about CAP was different then, to put it mildly.

This cadet had more fruit salad than Colin Powell and Curtis LeMay put together.

It's been in the CAP regs (39-1) since at least 1990.

Zen Master Charlie

Recruiting......this is a good thing (we could roll the cadet and senior into one ribbon)
Encampment.....this is a good thing...not all cadets go to encampment....or go to multiple encampments
NCSA......again this is a good thing...not all cadets go to any NCSAs
CAC........extra duty and performance should be rewarded
NCGC.....good thing.....could be combined with the NCC
NCC.......see above
IACE.......I guess we could kill that one as a NCSA....but it is kind of prestigious.
Community Service.....I think this is a good one.
Homeland Security.....not many cadets can get this one.
Disaster Releif......again I think it is a pretty good one....and not many cadets get it.
SAR.....yes let's ax this one!  (please note the sarcams)
Find....see SAR

No I'm not calling you an idiot, that was a little over board, im sorry, i just seriously dont want any more ribbons and if that were one, id be wearing it too... However, if we did like you listed above (which I agree with 100%) then I'd be ok with a shooting ribbon.

Zen Master Charlie

Oh god... Im going to Blue Beret in a couple of weeks... I've heard you could potentially walk away with a few ribbons and or attatchments... is this true?  :o

JK657

Are you trying to build your post count with these random posts?

titanII

Quote from: JK657 on July 06, 2011, 04:00:49 PM
that seems to be the intention. or something like that
No longer active on CAP talk

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: titanII on July 06, 2011, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: JK657 on July 06, 2011, 04:00:49 PM
that seems to be the intention. or something like that

Alright, just to confirm that that wasnt my intention, and I really dont care, I've been a member of CAPTalk for about 3 years now... I only get on here to see what other people have to say. Logically now, doncha think If I really cared, after 3 years I would have more than 50 some odd posts? really?  ???

manfredvonrichthofen

I have to short stack one way or another if I get another ribbon. As is, I have to stack four across on my jacket, or else not everything will fit. On my shirt I only wear two badges. This is how I will always do it, until the day that they tell me I can't wear my CIB, because until then, it won't be coming off.

ol'fido

Instead of the VFW, AFA, and AFSA ribbons, how about we have a cadet recognition ribbon kind of like the AF does. This could also include COY type awards.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: ol'fido on July 07, 2011, 01:38:14 AM
Instead of the VFW, AFA, and AFSA ribbons, how about we have a cadet recognition ribbon kind of like the AF does. This could also include COY type awards.

Even as a recipiant of one of the VFW awards, I have no objection to that!  :)

elipod

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 05, 2011, 02:16:15 AM

Agreed, and like I had said, I am proud of my ribbons, but my whole concern arose when a former Army officer who just jokingly said to me in a nice way, You look like a little General. It was kinda' funny at the time, but I thought about it, and its a sad truth. Its kind of embarrasing. In CAP its cool, I can show off all I want to younger cadets, but from an outsider standpoint, it looks rather unprofessional... like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something...

I saw this while reading this thread. I have to disagree with the part that says

" like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something..."

Would you really call the WEEK of volunteer time, that we take off our jobs, to help run an Encampment or activity, 'squatting on a toilet or something...' ?

What about the countless hours of studying and essay / speech / SDA writing, that goes into the milestones. Is that really, 'squatting on a toilet or something...'

Think about it.
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

a2capt

Yup.. outstanding attitude. Good luck with that.

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 05, 2011, 02:16:15 AM

Agreed, and like I had said, I am proud of my ribbons, but my whole concern arose when a former Army officer who just jokingly said to me in a nice way, You look like a little General. It was kinda' funny at the time, but I thought about it, and its a sad truth. Its kind of embarrasing. In CAP its cool, I can show off all I want to younger cadets, but from an outsider standpoint, it looks rather unprofessional... like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something...

I have had this happen to me, but I was talking with cadets in the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. They made a comment that alot of the JROTC cadets look like "Mexican generals". I do agree that as cadets in CAP get up there in the ranks we start having a a really big fruit salad on our chest, but I would like to point out that we aren't as bad as some JROTCs. It seems you get a ribbon for showing up to class each day the way the talk about their ribbons (they get them for good grades, good PT scores, good attendance). While I am not saying we don't need to get rid of any ribbons (as per my previous post), I would like to point out that we do more to earn our ribbons then just show up (with exception to the Red Service ribbon)

C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander