Cold weather jacket for BBDU

Started by vmstan, September 13, 2010, 02:11:30 AM

vmstan

I've been wanting to get a couple nice sets of BDUs. I have one winter weight set that are in good shape, but all the summer weight ones our squadron has either don't fit me or are pretty worn looking. Because of that, I've been tossing around the idea of switching to BBDUs, mostly because I like the way they look.

I am curious though, what do people wear for cold weather with the BBDU? I see that normal civilian outerwear is authorized, but it seems unprofessional to mix like that. Right now I have the heavy 50/50 blend BDU coat, but I'd like to find something like the gortex parka. Is there anything like that available in BBDU?
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

DakRadz

The M65 jacket for the BBDU is sold online.

Stupid time out.

As already typed but timed out:

The Hock has it for $60 and free shipping. (Actually $59.95 exactly)

Vanguard does not have it, period.

PA Guy

The Coast Guard Foul Weather Parka/Liner II is great. A little pricey if you don't have access to the CG Clothing Sales. https://www.epropper.com/categoryattribute/53

I have also seen GoreTex parkas in navy blue on several of the sites that sell mil., law enforcement clothing.  Check out The Cavalry Store and Brigade Quartermaster.

Eclipse

I bought a dark-blue PD jacket and matching pants from afmo.com for foul weather, which I am dual-purposing for a riding rain gear.
Mine is dark blue.  It is rated for all-day in the rain use.
For colder days I layer up a black poly-pro pull-over.  It's a very well-made, high-quality jacket, but in retrospect I wish I had bought
one of the reversible ANSI ones. 

The last thing I need is another water-absorbent, single-use M-65, and wasn't interested in the $250+ for a blue military-style Gortex. The CG jacket mentioned above is probably the nearest thing you'll find.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

Humm, this may be a far more expensive endeavor than I had planned.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

a2capt

Slight off topic interjection:

...another place, though probably a lot more rare of an occurrence in KC, see what articles any dry cleaners have that are considered abandoned and might be for sale.

BDUs were not all that uncommon here, all things considered. .. and if have the USMC imprinted on it, that can be blasted off by the same cleaners ;-)

Major Rob

I have one of these:

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-/RCO-8527.html

It's made by Rothco and it's very good quality.

I've sewn on all the patches as per regs for the camo M-65 (which is the specified layout for the blue M-65 in 39-1, if I'm not mistaken).

It looks great!

Fifty bucks, all things considered, isn't bad.

And, all together, the BBDUs and blue M-65 look like a complete uniform, not some unattractive hybrid of uniform and civilian clothing.

I like the overall look of the full blue package. YMMV, of course.

Edited to add:

Here it is from 39-1:

QuoteSince the field uniform is uniquely CAP and is not a USAF clothing item, any
type cold weather outergarment may be worn. A dark blue field jacket is
available and authorized for wear. If worn, the same accouterments worn on
the field uniform shirt will be worn.
An orange safety vest is authorized in
wooded areas for safety reasons.

Hawk200

Quote from: Captain Rob on September 16, 2010, 11:08:37 PM
I have one of these:

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-/RCO-8527.html
M-65s are awesome jackets. They seem almost ironclad with their durability. I wore my old green one with civvies for years after the Air Force phased them out. Ended up losing it in some move from some place or another. I miss that jacket.

cap235629

I just picked this one up in "bluestone". It matches the color of the propper BBDU

Carhartt Waterproof Breathable Jacket

I paid $99.00 locally
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé