Main Menu

Facebook

Started by BIG Lt, February 21, 2009, 02:13:01 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on February 25, 2009, 04:25:33 PM
I don't sell things to make a profit, I sell things to get rid of them. 

Sounds like most banks these days...   >:(

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

No, just do it personally: got some fantastic folks as friends from CAPTalk, though. . .

BIG Lt

alamrcn

Quotehere is ours. it is part alumni and part new stuff

I didn't even think of that. My squadron has an "Alumni and Friends" group also - kind of a reunion group which has been fun.

My wing also has a "Members from the 80s and 90s" group, with lots of old school photos and long lost friends.

There is a Minnesota Wing Cadets group that I don't belong to, but I think it has been successful.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

shorning

Quote from: alamrcn on February 26, 2009, 02:15:02 AM
My wing also has a "Members from the 80s and 90s" group, with lots of old school photos and long lost friends.

Who's lost?!?  Call CAP, stat!

RiverAux

Quote from: Pylon on February 22, 2009, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
Yep, our squadron maintains a page on Facebook and runs targeted recruiting ads to local users in the right age range.  It's not really aimed so much as intra-squadron or inter-unit communication, but at potential recruits.
How many potential recruits have you gotten from it? 

As far as I can tell, 0.  Only been doing it for a few months.  If it ultimately brings in even 1 recruit, it will have been worth my time.  Plus, if I hadn't done it, I would never have known how many potential recruits I might have missed.
Any new recruits yet from this?  Did you choose the pay per click or pay per impression route?  How much have you spent on it so far?

Eeyore

I tried the targeted ads, they don't really work, at least not in my area. It has been running since 3/11/09, it has had 4,208 impressions and 1 click through and I'm bidding 13 cents per click.

At least it only charges you per click, I've only paid 11 cents to have the one click through. Maybe the 4,208 impressions were enough to plant a seed of curiosity and when they see us at an air show or something they may want to check us out.

RiverAux

What did you use for targeting?

Eeyore

I really only planned on getting cadet interest through FB.

Targeting:
Under the age of 18, within 20 miles of our area, interested in air force, rotc, airplane, airplanes, color guard, colorguard, drill team, flying, military, planes, shooting, guns, astronomy, flying, gliding, or camping and have english as the default language on Facebook.

The total universe returned was over 10,000 possible viewers.

I was really just playing around with it. If I feel like shelling out money I would probably set up several different ads but keep a similar universe.

RiverAux

From looking at it, it seems like the key words limit your potential audience quite a bit.  and just from your experience it doesn't really seem like they've really helped that much as there is not much difference between 1 click through per 4200 impressions (supposedly targeted by those keywords) and none. 

What was the text and photo used with your ad?

flyguy06

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 21, 2009, 03:46:02 PM
Facebook has become really popular in WIWG.  Wisconsin Wing is one big family, and a lot of us have friends across the states in other squadrons.  Facebook has really helped us keep in touch.  As for the squadron level, we have our own group but it doesn't get used too often.  We use our squadron website for inter-sqaudron communication.

I just got back from a week in Wisconsin. My guard unit had an exercise at Volk Filed in some little small town called camp douglas. I visted Wisconsin Dells.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 20, 2009, 05:24:05 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 21, 2009, 03:46:02 PM
Facebook has become really popular in WIWG.  Wisconsin Wing is one big family, and a lot of us have friends across the states in other squadrons.  Facebook has really helped us keep in touch.  As for the squadron level, we have our own group but it doesn't get used too often.  We use our squadron website for inter-sqaudron communication.

I just got back from a week in Wisconsin. My guard unit had an exercise at Volk Filed in some little small town called camp douglas. I visted Wisconsin Dells.

Yeah, we use Volk for training a few times a year.  Hotel Volk makes for a much better weekend than sleeping bags in a hangar.

[/drift]

BTCS1*

I just set up a page for my squadron, if anyone wants to become a fan its Brooklyn Tech Cadet Squadron.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

KyCAP

The rules of supply and demand apply to the facebook ads.   Take a few days and crank up your bid for pay per click to something like $0.75 and watch.   I just ran one for my business.  Started Friday, over 100,000 impressions and it's very targeted for information technology in Kentucky...  Gotta pay to play as they say..
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing