Main Menu

Facebook

Started by BIG Lt, February 21, 2009, 02:13:01 PM

BIG Lt

Anyone using facebook for their squadron?

isuhawkeye

I dont know about CAP, but my CG Auxiliary unit has a presence on facebook
www.flotilla4.org

RogueLeader

My last unit had it's own group, but not used for an active purpose
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

♠SARKID♠

Facebook has become really popular in WIWG.  Wisconsin Wing is one big family, and a lot of us have friends across the states in other squadrons.  Facebook has really helped us keep in touch.  As for the squadron level, we have our own group but it doesn't get used too often.  We use our squadron website for inter-sqaudron communication.

Pylon

Yep, our squadron maintains a page on Facebook and runs targeted recruiting ads to local users in the right age range.  It's not really aimed so much as intra-squadron or inter-unit communication, but at potential recruits.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

All right, because I know this is coming, when do we start the CAPTalk facebook group?  ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 21, 2009, 03:52:59 PM
All right, because I know this is coming, when do we start the CAPTalk facebook group?  ;)

Never, hopefully.

You'd need a group to communicate with other members who are already a group?

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2009, 03:58:33 PM

Never, hopefully.

Exactly why I haven't done it

mprokosch11

Never, hopefully.

Yeah, but who doesn't love redundancy at times? In all seriousness though, it would be pointless.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

alamrcn

Never, hopefully.

Yah, but seeing how often SOME people are on here, they more than likely have time for redundancy! However, some folks here also enjoy the freedom of thier anonimity that the board allows them to stand behind.

Anyway, I'm on FB and already "friends" with some others from CAP Talk. There's a "Swivel Chair Patrol" fan groupy thing for those akin to Tedda ;)

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Chappie

The CAP Chaplain Service has a group on Facebook.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

tarheel gumby

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 21, 2009, 03:34:49 PM
My last unit had it's own group, but not used for an active purpose

My unit has it's own group on FB, and I don't think that it is used for any activities
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

RiverAux

Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
Yep, our squadron maintains a page on Facebook and runs targeted recruiting ads to local users in the right age range.  It's not really aimed so much as intra-squadron or inter-unit communication, but at potential recruits.
How many potential recruits have you gotten from it? 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
Quote from: Pylon on February 21, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
How many potential recruits have you gotten from it? 

As far as I can tell, 0.  Only been doing it for a few months.  If it ultimately brings in even 1 recruit, it will have been worth my time.  Plus, if I hadn't done it, I would never have known how many potential recruits I might have missed.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ThorntonOL

I created one for my unit and a cadet from my unit created one for our group. It doesn't get used as much as it use to because the whole format of Facebook changed recently and I haven't figured out everything yet.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

caprr275

Lancer

I setup Michigan Wing a page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount-Clemens-MI/Michigan-Wing-Civil-Air-Patrol/9548473844

There are currently 152 'fans' of the page and I setup events notifications for wing level gatherings, such as our conference in March, and before that the annual academic bowl.

I also setup a Twitter page for the wing:

http://twitter.com/MIWGCAP

I have the RSS feed from it feeding to the main page of the wing website; http://miwg.cap.gov. As CAPnews stories come out of MIWG and are published I'll be posting links to them on Twitter, as well as other random and quick bits of news, such as congratulations for promotions and awards and what not.

Nathan

Never, hopefully.

I'd say there's more to it than that, though.

I like the CadetStuff group because it allows me to put a face to many of the people I've known for six years, but only through text. Being "friends" on Facebook opens up a lot more information about the people I've been talking to, arguing with, and being inspired by.

And I wouldn't have just gotten to buy a new, cheap i-Pod to replace the one that was stolen if I hadn't had a CadetStuffer see my utter despair through Facebook. ;D
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

dwb

Quote from: Nathan on February 25, 2009, 02:44:32 PMAnd I wouldn't have just gotten to buy a new, cheap i-Pod to replace the one that was stolen if I hadn't had a CadetStuffer see my utter despair through Facebook. ;D

Technically, you bought a used, cheap iPod. ;)

I don't sell things to make a profit, I sell things to get rid of them.  Plus I think you're a swell guy, so you got the swell guy price. :)