Main Menu

Presidential Salute

Started by Flying Pig, January 23, 2009, 03:57:15 PM

Ricochet13

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2009, 08:51:13 AM
I watched the inuguration all day Tuesday.
I saw President Obama get saluted about 200-300 times.
Not once did I see him return the salute.
Rather, he acted like he did not see the salute or the military serviceman rendering the salute.
I assumed it is because he does not have a familiarity with the interaction or feel comfortable.  ??? 
In the election, it was not brought up much about his military service.  But it is showing now.
BTW, I am excited about the possibilities about what our new President can do for our country, and the difficult times we are facing.

Quote from: BrianH76 on January 24, 2009, 03:58:42 PM
I found this picture of President Obama during the inaugural parade.  Pretty sharp, I thought.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/politics/central-inauguration-parade-pg,1,6618532.photogallery

Actually I did see the President place his hand over his heart as various colors passed by the Inaugural parade.   I even seem to recall him saluting once or twice as it struck me that is was a decent salute in terms of what D & C might expect.

Smokey

Most of you missed the point of my post...

The point was not meant to be political...................bear with me...

In previous threads here, some folks were coming up with all sorts of reasons NOT to render a salute.  Some of those reason bordered on bizarre.

My point was directed to those folks who try to avoid salutes in any way possible.   Although I do not care for Obama, as CinC, I said I would smartly execute a salute as that is the proper thing to do.  See the point is, no matter my personal feelings (the point , not necessarily political) is that I would render a salute.  Customs and courtesies are not decided by feelings.  Some things are just the right thing to do.

Many of you are reading toooooooo much into my statement.  I made it especially bold to argue the point.  I guess it was too far above the heads of some of you.  For that I apologize.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

JayT

Quote from: Smokey on January 25, 2009, 05:35:58 AM

In previous threads here, some folks were coming up with all sorts of reasons NOT to render a salute.  Some of those reason bordered on bizarre.

My point was directed to those folks who try to avoid salutes in any way possible.   Although I do not care for Obama, as CinC, I said I would smartly execute a salute as that is the proper thing to do.  See the point is, no matter my personal feelings (the point , not necessarily political) is that I would render a salute.  Customs and courtesies are not decided by feelings.  Some things are just the right thing to do.

Many of you are reading toooooooo much into my statement.  I made it especially bold to argue the point.  I guess it was too far above the heads of some of you.  For that I apologize.

Excuse me, don't disrespect myself and the other guys on this board because you referring to the elected President of the United States as a "**$%*$%$" 'went over our heads.'

It's not difficult to read to much into such a simpleton statement I suppose.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Maj Ballard

I think the point is also that we don't need to know that you "do not care for Obama." It's irrelevant and has no bearing on this or any other discussion in this forum.

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Rotorhead

I guess it was too far above the heads of some of you.  For that I apologize.
Nope, I saw clearly that you managed to insert into both posts the fact that you disapprove of Obama.

That part was not needed to convey your on-topic point.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

MIKE

Mike Johnston