Main Menu

Presidential Salute

Started by Flying Pig, January 23, 2009, 03:57:15 PM

Flying Pig

Here is a little trivia regarding the President returning salutes.  Contrary to popular belief, there is no saluting protocol for the President.  We discussed this in Boot Camp in one of our many sleepy classes.

From President Ronald Reagan

PRESIDENTIAL TRADITION
I never ceased to enjoy reviewing our men and women in uniform and hope I started a new tradition for presidents. As commander in chief, I discovered it was customary for our uniformed men and women to salute whenever they saw me. When I'd walk down the steps of a helicopter, for example, there was always a Marine waiting there to salute me. I was told presidents weren't supposed to return salutes, so I didn't, but this made me feel a little uncomfortable. Normally, a person offering a salute waits until it is returned, then brings down his hand. Sometimes, I realized, the soldier, sailor, marine, or airman giving me a salute wasn't sure when he was supposed to lower his hand. Initially, I nodded and smiled and said hello and thought maybe that would bring down the hand, but usually it didn't. Finally, one night when Nancy and I were attending a concert at the Marine Corps headquarters, I told the Commandant of Marines, "I know it's customary for the president to receive these salutes, but I was once an officer and realize that you're not supposed to salute when you're in civilian clothes. I think there ought to be a regulation that the president could return a salute inasmuch as he is commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform." "Well, if you did return a salute," the general said, "I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

The next time I got a salute, I saluted back. A big grin came over the Marine's face and down came his hand. From then on, I always returned salutes. When George Bush followed me into the White House, I encouraged him to keep up the tradition.

Stonewall

Funny you posted this.

During the parade on Tuesday, I watched as President Obama and VP Biden returned salutes throughout the day.

I'm not picky and I am not interested in a debate about military service and the presidency.  But I do think that a few more minutes on the exchange of salutes should have been addressed prior to this occasion.  I'm sure they were briefed, but their salutes need some work.  On one accasion, I saw VP Biden return a salute but instead of dropping it, he went to a little "too-da-loo" wave...reminding me of something Hawkeye on M*A*S*H would have done.

Seriously.  I am not bashing the C-in-C.  I appreciate their service, etc.  Sort of blaming this one on a military aide.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

I noticed when W-ya got off Air Force 1 Executive 1 in Midland, he stopped at the end of the stairs and shook hands with the (still saluting) USAF officer standing guard.  I'm guessing as thank you for service, etc. 

Was nice to see it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Obama had a pretty sharp salute though.  He was just a little confused as when to whip it out.  Im sure with everything else that has been crammed down his throat it looked like someone at least took a moment to flatten out his hand and place his middle finger on the corner of his eye.  The media has already pointed out Bidens "signature salute"  As he drops it, he points at you.  A little corny. 

JohnKachenmeister

I remember when Reagan started that tradition.  It was so typical of him... just an ordinary guy who served his country then went back to his job in Hollywood after the war.

Bush 41 was once asked by Clinton what he should know and do as president, and George the First told him "Learn to salute."  Of course, he never quite got it right.

Incidentally, of all the Hollywood types who served in various duties during World War II, only ONE actually held a commission as an officer on Dec. 7, 1941.

That was, of course, Ronald Reagan, 1st Lieutenant of Cavalry, California National Guard.  Upon mobilization he was transferred to the Air Corps as a captain.

Only one Hollywood type was on active duty on Dec. 7, 1941.  Aviation Cadet James "Jimmy" Stewart, later Brigadier General, US Air Force Reserve.
Another former CAP officer

JoeTomasone

Hey, if I can be saluted by a member of the military and return it, surely the C-in-C should be able to.

dwb

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 23, 2009, 05:58:00 PMHey, if I can be saluted by a member of the military and return it, surely the C-in-C should be able to.

Of course.  But Jan 20 was probably the first time Obama or Biden actually had to salute in a ceremony like that.  I'm sure you weren't an expert saluter on your first day, either.

I didn't see Biden's salute, but I thought Obama's was pretty sharp.

Stonewall

Quote from: dwb on January 23, 2009, 06:03:42 PMI didn't see Biden's salute, but I thought Obama's was pretty sharp.

Biden's isn't bad on the up-swing, it's the "follow through" that's an issue (sometimes).  He likes to do a little wave/point instead of bringing it down.  Kind of funny actually, not a real issue...maybe to some, but not me.

Better than this...
Serving since 1987.

dwb

Or this one!

Clinton never really mastered the salute.  Reagan had a great one, even if it was a touch theatrical (like a lot of things he did).  Both Bushes had decent salutes, too.

Flying Pig

These are pretty good.  However, since Bush was a military officer it should have ben a no brainer.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: dwb on January 23, 2009, 06:03:42 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 23, 2009, 05:58:00 PMHey, if I can be saluted by a member of the military and return it, surely the C-in-C should be able to.

Of course.  But Jan 20 was probably the first time Obama or Biden actually had to salute in a ceremony like that.  I'm sure you weren't an expert saluter on your first day, either.

I didn't see Biden's salute, but I thought Obama's was pretty sharp.

I wasn't referring to style or competence in saluting, I was referring to the propriety of the President returning a salute - didn't quite make that clear, though.  :(

dwb

Sorry dude.  Message boards are no good for conveying tone of voice.  :-\

sardak

Obama got his first lesson in saluting in a good natured exchange.  After Bush's departure from the east side of the Capitol, the new Prez and VP were joined on the steps by a general for the first review of the troops.  After the last of them went by, Obama turned to the general and stuck out his hand to shake hands.  The general immediately snapped a salute.  Obama cracked a smile, shook his head and saluted.  The two then had a brief exchange with the look on Obama's face saying "I've got a lot to learn."

Mike

Smokey

This is for all of those here on CPTALK who try to come up with every reason in the book not to render a salute......(referencing some prior topics) .....

Even though I think Obama is the biggest #%$$&^%$#*&^,  as my commander in chief I WILL render him a sharply executed salute should I have have the misfortune to meet him while he is C in C.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

MIKE

^ Was that really necessary?  If as your CinC, you'd salute and execute... you'd think you would also keep your personal feelings to yourself as well.
Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

Quote from: Smokey on January 23, 2009, 08:02:01 PM
This is for all of those here on CPTALK who try to come up with every reason in the book not to render a salute......(referencing some prior topics) .....

Even though I think Obama is the biggest #%$$&^%$#*&^,  as my commander in chief I WILL render him a sharply executed salute should I have have the misfortune to meet him while he is C in C.

Dude

This was a discussion I started as some trivia about the history of the President saluting.  Nowhere in here has anyone started an argument about trying to get out of saluting.   I for one thought ALL Presidents throughout history saluted.  I had no idea Reagan started it.  I also didnt realize the President has no saluting protocol whatsoever.  They do it as they see fit.  So lets not make this a political angle.

There is some other trivia about this I am working on but waiting for the answers before I post.  That way I look like the smart one!  So lets not get this locked for President bashing.

Smokey

The idea was not meant to be political.  It was in reference to other threads where folks tried to come up with every reason imaginable as a reason not to salute.

My point was that although I have personal feelings...I still WOULD SMARTLY EXECUTE a salute.  Pointing out that a salute is proper.

That was to point out that we should ALL be rending those proper courtesies.

Apologies to those I offended , especially those who are fans of the C in C.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

dwb

Quote from: Smokey on January 23, 2009, 08:02:01 PMEven though I think Obama is the biggest #%$$&^%$#*&^,  as my commander in chief I WILL render him a sharply executed salute should I have the misfortune to meet him while he is C in C.

This reminds me of when I was the administrator of the CadetStuff forums, and people would say "with all due respect..." and then say something that was shockingly disrespectful.

The point of a courtesy (like the salute) is to be courteous.  It's not just for show, the underlying message is that you're supposed to be nice to people.

It used to be people referring to Bush as "shrub", now apparently it's people referring to Obama as the "biggest #%$$&^%$#*&^".  Disrespect cuts across party lines, apparently.

flyguy06

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2009, 06:31:30 PM
These are pretty good.  However, since Bush was a military officer it should have ben a no brainer.

he waas inthe Air Guard. trust me, being an Army Guard officer I cantell you that we dont get to practice saluting that often. You'd be surprised at how little Guardsmen salute one another. We try to focus more on doing our jobs than pomp and cercumstances.

Flying Pig

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 23, 2009, 09:32:54 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 23, 2009, 06:31:30 PM

he waas inthe Air Guard. trust me, being an Army Guard officer I cantell you that we dont get to practice saluting that often. You'd be surprised at how little Guardsmen salute one another. We try to focus more on doing our jobs than pomp and cercumstances.

Uhhhh..Yes he was in the Air Guard.  Interesting, especially coming from an Infantry Officer.  Ill let my officer buddies know to spend more time at work and less time playing parade.  (scratching head)

I guess the Infantry I grew up in is different than yours.