Expansion of gocivilairpatrol.com

Started by jimmydeanno, October 01, 2008, 03:25:26 AM

jimmydeanno

Has anyone noticed the expansion of www.gocivilairpatrol.com?

Click members at the top of the page and it looks like they've begun to transition all the program information over.  Interesting to see what transpires.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

Nifty, but I'm gonna have to add a bookmark just for the members section because I sure as shucks aint gonna wait for that homepage to load each time I want to check a reg

Cecil DP

Maybe the server was busy. The homepage opened right away for me.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

♠SARKID♠

And they STILL haven't fixed the video problems

IceNine

and this site is a big time firefox hater!

Any one else?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DC

No problems at all getting it to load, very fast. So by the look of this, this is replacing www.cap.gov?

I really like the look of the new site, but I always liked the .gov web address..

I also like how the Cadet Programs page is broken down a little bit, instead of just a bunch of information d links all on one page, they organized it some. 

SARKID -www.cap.gov/pubs

jimmydeanno

My understanding is that the migration has begun.  Especially in the CP section, there is eventually (so I'm told) going to be a blog, webpages for each cadet grade (like a C/TSgt homepage to tell them all about being a C/TSgt) and other nifty things.

I noticed they're working on the "CAP University" in the professional development section.

This could get fun :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

I hope that when they are done that they retain the .gov and set it up to redirect to this new site.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

alamrcn

Quote from: IceNineand this site is a big time firefox hater!

"We are Internet Explorer. Lower your shields and surrender your computer. We will add your internet use and browsing distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on October 01, 2008, 10:11:35 AM

Any one else?
Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.17
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

_

Quote from: davidsinn on October 01, 2008, 04:04:09 PM
Quote from: IceNine on October 01, 2008, 10:11:35 AM

Any one else?
Works great with Firefox 2.0.0.17
Looks fine in Firefox 3.0.3

DNall

why are they moving internal data to a recruiting website?

Each of the services has a recruiting website, a public access website, and an internal portal. This works very well to keep the functions seperate & tailor the information to the target audience.

I would note that all services are currently transitioning from their own portals to a joint front-end of DKO, based on the foundation of AKO.

If you've never used AKO or one of the other service portals, you will have a hard time understanding the level of functionality I'm talking about, or that literally everything can be stored, accessed, and done from there.

It would benefit CAP to use their domains in the same way:

gocivilairpatrol.com as the recruiting portal with actual backup from NHQ based on what the services are doing (goarmy.com or 1800goguard are two of the better ones).

cap.gov as the public front end > just like af.mil

and, cap.af.mil as the internal portal with useful functionality.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 04:21:16 PM

gocivilairpatrol.com as the recruiting portal with actual backup from NHQ based on what the services are doing (goarmy.com or 1800goguard are two of the better ones).

That makes too much sense.  Don't say it any louder, or the black vans may come for you.  :o

A.Member

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 04:21:16 PM
why are they moving internal data to a recruiting website?

Each of the services has a recruiting website, a public access website, and an internal portal. This works very well to keep the functions seperate & tailor the information to the target audience.

I would note that all services are currently transitioning from their own portals to a joint front-end of DKO, based on the foundation of AKO.

If you've never used AKO or one of the other service portals, you will have a hard time understanding the level of functionality I'm talking about, or that literally everything can be stored, accessed, and done from there.

I generally agree but I have a more basic question: 
What is prompting the need for this change?

The "gocivilairpatrol.com" domain is fine for recruiting, I guess.  But the cap.gov domain gets it done and with fewer keystrokes.   

I'd just really like someone to explain the reasoning behind a complete migration.  Actually, I'd like someone from national to say anything, period.   Communication is non-existent.  Given the marketing material that includes the cap.gov address, they'd better retain that domain.  This apparent migration really does make a lot of sense on the surface.  Seems to be change simply for the sake of change.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eeyore

Most of the marketing material is currently in the process of a re-design. They will most likely change the information on the new stuff to start pushing anyone interested in CAP to the new site.

A.Member

Quote from: edmo1 on October 17, 2008, 09:29:19 PM
Most of the marketing material is currently in the process of a re-design. They will most likely change the information on the new stuff to start pushing anyone interested in CAP to the new site.
Again, lack of communication from NHQ here is very problematic. 

There is a lot of material in play that is simply labeled with the cap.gov.  We're not going to just throw that out....or at least I hope we're not.  It will cost far too much for us to replace it.  If that is NHQ's plan, they need to start communicating 6 months ago so that squadrons can plan for these changes (we have our material as well).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

ditto on DNALL's comments. 

Makes no sense to me.  I'm beginning to think that the public affairs folks dream up some crazy ideas at these national workshops and then just assume that everyone else knows what they're trying to do through telepathy. 

Same thing is going on with the recruiting brochures.  Absolutely no official word on what is going on with those.....

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

EMT-83

At the NER conference today, it was announced that cap.gov is going away, and would be redirected to gocivilairpatrol.com.

No date or explanation was given, but you will notice that some pages at cap.gov already state they are no longer being updated, and refer to the other site.

KyCAP

If the plan is to really "park" cap.gov from the domain perspective that is a HUGE mistake.  Having over a decade in website design and software engineering experience - I can tell you that there are some big bucks exchanged to get three letter domain names like "CAP.GOV".    I have one client that was offered $250,000 for their 4 letter .com domain.   "gocivilairpatrol.com" as the ONLY domain is a NO NO.   

Just try to tell some where to go on the phone "Well Mr. newbie cap member "go to ' gocivilairpatrol.com'".   Mr. New says.. "Where do I go?  Civil Air Patrol.com? Say what?".

Now, if the plan is to keep cap.gov for member only and use gocivilairpatrol.com for the recruiting site, then I can buy that.  But....   .COM anything to a government agency and you're no longer one of us you commercial site operator vermin.

With the transition of the cap.gov domains mail host (MX) record to GMAIL and Google, all members could easily be given cap.gov email accounts.   Then you have the CAP.GOV email address looking snappy and professional but then the www.gocivilairpatrol.com domain.

If it aint broke, then don't fix it.

;)

think army.mil (day to day work) and goarmy.com (please see our recruiter and sign up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mil

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc920
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing