Main Menu

May NEC Live Web Stream

Started by RiverAux, May 01, 2008, 09:12:36 PM

mikeylikey

^ thank you Sir. 

I am surprised by the last item though.  I knew it would not be long before the "real" reasons we are stuck with Vanguard came about.  We are told "regional training centers....blah blah blah......now we will use the money on whatever.  Thanks for being shady with us NHQ. 

Question.....what would be an unfunded program?  A Wing Commanders Pet project?  The School Initiative?  Just asking as a curious member forced to do business with a  bad Business (Vanguard) under misrepresented notions. 
What's up monkeys?

FW

Mikey, don't be upset with NHQ.  The NB/NEC determines where the Vanguard money goes. 

Vanguard gives CAP a percentage of every dollar spent by a CAP member.  This money goes only to programs which will benefit the general membership.  No "pet" projects,  no travel funds for the commander, no late night parties, etc.
The first priority is to fund "regional training facilities" like NESA, HMRS, BB, or establishing new sites.  Second priority will be to fund other programs like, the SEP, or AE programs the "appropriated" grant doesn't cover or corporate unfunded mandates.

An "unfunded" program is an approved program we don't have money for.   There are quite a few.  Anyone want to donate to the cause?  :angel: ;D

sjtrupp

Did anyone hear the update about the "Booster Clubs"?

FW

^ the new CAPR 173-4 will be published soon.  Booster Clubs are described in Sec. 15.  

Summary of changes:  
         No CAP uniforms while fundraising for a booster club.
         No CAP command staff allowed to hold an "influential position" in club.
         "CAP" can not be in the name of the booster club.  Name of squadron may.
         Any booster club not meeting these requirements must change by end of
         FY or unit will not be allowed to engage in business with booster club.
         All funds/property donated to unit must go thru wing as per WBP. and
         Logistics regs.
Exception granted to the "CAP Foundation"

mikeylikey

Quote from: FW on May 06, 2008, 09:02:50 PM
^ the new CAPR 173-4 will be published soon. booster Clubs are described in Sec. 15.  

Summary of changes:  
         No CAP uniforms while fundraising for a booster club.
         No CAP command staff allowed to hold an "influential position" in club.
         "CAP" can not be in the name of the booster club.  Name of squadron may.
         Any booster club not meeting these requirements must change by end of
         FY or unit will not be allowed to engage in business with booster club.
         All funds/property donated to unit must go thru wing as per WBP. and
         Logistics regs.
Exception granted to the "CAP Foundation"

So.....I get a mom (of a Cadet) to open up a personal checking account, and the SQD raises money in the name of the SQD, then because Mom and I (SQD CC) are close I say "Hey Jane write a check for this DF equipment, and checks for these Cadets to buy boots".  Etc.  Aren't these booster clubs a legal maneuver around the WBP??

What's up monkeys?

FW

^ Good question.

If a squadron raises funds, it goes to wing for processing under WBP.
If the money goes to "Mom", it becomes a FWA issue.

Booster Clubs are independent entities.  They can do anything they want.  It's not CAP's business.  But, if funds/property are donated to CAP, the donation becomes "ours".  It goes thru the system; either finance or logistics.  Money/property can not be transfered from CAP to a Booster Club for any reason.

What "Mom" does with her personal checking account is not our business.  If she wants to donate a DF unit or uniforms to the squadron, that's great.  It still needs to be entered into the system as per logistics regs.

CAPSGT

I'm curious about the 15 passenger van item.  Is this a mandatory, permanant removal of the back seats from all 15 passenger vans?
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

FW

^ Yes.  Just don't lose the rear seat.  Money for cargo net purchase/installation will come from national.  Detailed information will come from official sources when everything is worked out.

DrJbdm

it makes you wonder why they went thru the expense of getting 15 passenger vans in the first place. Wouldn't 12 passenger vans have been cheaper and safer? (i'm guessing the rear seat is coming out for safety reasons)

But then when has CAP ever done anything that made sense in the first place.

cuselead

The issue is not a simple as what everyone is saying. 

I've had to work with this same issue with my civilian employer - the bottom line issue is insurance! 

Most if not all insurance companies are having a hard time justifying insuring the 15pax vehicles. 

It's all about mitigating the risks, 15 pax injured or 12 or 7? 

However, I do agree that at this point that it makes sense to do a study to see if buying a smaller vehicle is the right way to go ?  Gas, total cost etc... however, it's good to have a large space to store gear. 

FW

All new 15 pass. van purchases will have 11 passenger seating with extra cargo space.  It would be nice if they came with stability and anti rollover systems.

Eagle400

Quote from: CCSE on May 03, 2008, 12:11:04 AM
Quote from: Pylon on May 02, 2008, 06:30:27 PMWell, approved for corporate field uniforms effective right now.  The NEC approved to submit these to the AF for wear on AF-style too, but wear of any of these items still needs that AF approval before they can be worn on the AF-style uniforms.
Do you actually believe this is going to stop the rampant abuse of the Air Force uniform by the Hawk Mountain people?

Quote from: DNall on May 03, 2008, 01:12:09 AMThat's why it's been disapproved in the past, at least with regard to blue beret.

Wait, so you're implying that the Air Force is concerned about the willful defiance of uniform regulations by the Blue Beret people and not the Hawk Mountain people?   I find that hard to believe.

The Blue Beret bling actually looks quite military, while the Hawk Mountain bling looks like... well... fashion-oriented uniform items designed by someone with a fetish for orange and a wannabe "SAR God" attitude.

Capt Rivera

Why dosent CAP make completion of Defensive Drivers Course mandatory? RedCross does.

Redross members pay $15 upfront to take the online course and they are reimbursed upon successful completion.

Speculating on this:

• he Redcross probably spends less by reimbursing membership then by paying full insurance costs.
  • It is also a added benefit to members because members typically save 10% at LEAST on their personal vehicular insurance.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

arajca

Actually, if you're between 24 and 65 (IIRC), and have a clean driving record, DDC doesn't do anything for you, insurance cost wise. Found that out after my DDC instructor swore that everyone completing DDC (National Safety Council version) would receive a discount on insurance rates.

PHall

Been going to Defensive Driving courses for years. AT&T is big on that stuff.
Have NEVER received any kind of discount on my insurance for it. (Yes I told them about it.)

I do get an Exemplary Driver discount, but that's for not getting a ticket for over 5 years...

This was with Auto Club Insurance, State Farm and USAA.

isuhawkeye

Also,

CAP is self insured, so there is no one to get a discount from.

CAP approached Lloyds of London a few years ago, and they wouldn't touch CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 14, 2008, 12:13:24 PM

Col Chavez (former National Legal Officer) at RSC a few months ago said that we are indeed insured through Lloyds of London.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

isuhawkeye

AH,

Times they do change.  good to know

sjtrupp

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 14, 2008, 12:19:30 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 14, 2008, 12:13:24 PM

Col Chavez (former National Legal Officer) at RSC a few months ago said that we are indeed insured through Lloyds of London.

Could this be a Vehicle versus Aircraft issue?  Maybe we are insured for one, but are self insured for the other?

DNall

Vans versus aircraft versus general liability. We're self-insured for general liability (lawsuits), I think the rest stuff is actually covered. Lloyds is a great by the way. They've covered some big events for me relatively cheaply.