Main Menu

May NEC Live Web Stream

Started by RiverAux, May 01, 2008, 09:12:36 PM

RiverAux

The NEC meeting will be live on CAP Channel tomorrow and Saturday:
http://www.capchannel.com/

The agenda is available on eservices: http://level2.cap.gov/documents/2008_May_NEC_Agenda.pdf

Eagle400

Now this is just funny.

Quote from: May 2008 NEC AgendaIn August 2006 the National Board approved a motion to authorize members attending Blue Beret and Hawk Mountain to wear any awarded uniform items or headgear with the BDUs or CAP field uniform. Since that time, there has been some confusion over which items are actually "earned" and what was actually intended by this action.  The issue has been further complicated by the fact that badges and devices worn on Air Force-style uniforms, including the woodland green BDUs, must be approved by the Air Force.
And this is some sort of revelation?

Hawk and NBB grads have been wearing their bling for years on AF uniforms without Air Staff approval, even in the presence of the National Commander.

So this is just an attempt to "legitimize" the bling and make all the wannabe rangers happy.

Want to be a military ranger?  Fine.  Join the Army.     

Pylon

Quote from: CCSE on May 02, 2008, 12:11:07 AM
Now this is just funny.

And this is some sort of revelation?

Hawk and NBB grads have been wearing their bling for years on AF uniforms without Air Staff approval, even in the presence of the National Commander.

So this is just an attempt to "legitimize" the bling and make all the wannabe rangers happy.

Want to be a military ranger?  Fine.  Join the Army.     

Already a full-on discussion on that NEC item on CAPTalk.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Actually... I think I killed it.  :)
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Okay, for those of you watching the Spring National Executive Committee on the live stream?

So far:
Last minutes approved.
Agenda Items 1a, 1b, 1c, 1e approved unanimously.
Item 1d approved with discussion and clarification.

Pylon

Agenda Item 2: 50 Year Membership.  Some discussion and clarification on plaques and free memberships and how it works currently.  Motion passed unanimously as proposed.

DrJbdm

the feed looks pretty good then in years before. it's pretty clear.

Pylon

Agenda Item 3:  Seconded by Col Pierson.

Amended to clarify the award starts with the 2009 award season.

Col Weiss asked a question (inaudible on my end), motion passed unanimously.

Agenda Item 4: Add CAP AEO of the Year award to the current slate of the "of the year" awards.  Col Carr motion, Col Rushing second.

Question on the selection process: who will sit on the committee?  Volunteers? Staff?   Gen Courter clarifies that it's usually a mix (i think?)

Col Glass got confirmation that the national committee would select from one per region (8 candidates).

Discussion... question by Col Chitwood... didn't hear it all.

Unanimously passed.

Pylon

Agenda Item 5: Col Chitwood proposing motion. Explains background of proposal on the table to allow the ranger and beret bling.  Asking NEC to codify these and ask the AF for approval to wear this stuff.

Gen Courter clarifies which items are actually covered by this proposal.

Col Carr seconds. 

Clarification that these were not for wear just at activity, but anywhere uniform is worn.

Question: if approved, these items could be worn on CAP distinctives?  Amended to read, wear would be immediate on CAP distinctive uniforms.  AF approval would be needed for AF-style.

Question about dress or field uniforms?  Moved to amend that these items be allowed for immediate wear on CAP distinctive field uniforms.

Col Cuddes seconded amendment.  No discussion on amendment.  Amendment carries.

No further discussion.  PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.  wtf?

MIKE

I went ahead and merged this with RiverAux's thread from yesterday.  I hope you don't mind.  I figured it fits since his has a link to the stream and agenda.
Mike Johnston

isuhawkeye

Ranger/Beret Bling approved......

Very interesting

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on May 02, 2008, 06:23:31 PM
No further discussion.  PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.  wtf?

Because the AF (for the most part) doesn't give a [mess] about the CAP distinctive uniforms.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on May 02, 2008, 06:25:32 PM
Ranger/Beret Bling approved......

Very interesting

Well, approved for corporate field uniforms effective right now.  The NEC approved to submit these to the AF for wear on AF-style too, but wear of any of these items still needs that AF approval before they can be worn on the AF-style uniforms.

Pylon

Agenda Item 6:

An amendment was proposed:
Legislative liasons will receive temporary Lt Col grade.  For all temporary Lt Col promotions, including legislative liasons, region commanders will receive an email near the end of one year since the person's original temporary promotion to Lt Col.  Unless the region commander approves the Lt Col grade as permanent, the person reverts to their previously earned grade.

I think the item was tabled... did I miss something?

Agenda Item 7
:

New CAPF 12 with Oath of Application.  Effective 1 Oct 2008.  Col Chazell seconded, but then motions to amend.

Add checkbox to online membership renewal forcing members to re-agree to oath when renewing membership.  Susan Parker clarifies that it's in proposed action.  Chazell withdraws amendment, but Courter takes that as guidance that it will be done as was stated above.

Question about how to ensure if member is familiar with the policies and regulations they are agreeing to uphold, and specifically mentions ethics regs.  Somebody mentions something about commanders responsibility to brief all members.

Passes unanimously. Motion carries.

Pylon

Agenda 6 is sort of coming back... but there's a side motion first...

Side item:
Motion (or Second?) by Col Glass.  Clarified that promoting authority would need to specifically approve all Lt Col's as permanent after one year, otherwise member loses grade of Lt Col.  Clarified that these only changes the mechanism by which Lt Col promotions are administered, since all Lt Col promotions are already defined as temporary for the first year.  Effective date of 1 Oct 2008 proposed.

Passed unanimously; motion carries.

Item 6 has fully come back:

Col Diduch makes the motion for NEC to adopt agenda item 6 as written.  Second by Pierson.

Discussion:  Col Hodgkins wants to know the intent of making your legislative liaisons Lt Col's.  Appears to be so liaisons have more "weight" when at the bargaining table with politicians.  Points out my earlier argument that it "looks bad" if your legislative liaison all of a sudden is demoted to a Lt or Capt or something.  He suggests that the person stay a Lt Col while serving as legislative liaison, but reverts to earned grade when done with the position.

Col Chazell speaks in opposition of this agenda item.  Says we offer advanced grade for former military officers, educators, pilots, doctors and lawyers and says there is no requirement for them to pursue further professional development to keep grade.  Says it puts "legislative liaison professionals" at a disadvantage to these people who hold other skills useful for CAP.

Suzie Parker asks for clarification that the agenda item as proposed indicates that all legislative liaisons will be reviewed for their grade every year, while all other Lt Col promotions will be reviewed at the end of one year only before being permanent.

Somebody notes that these people need more of a knowledge of CAP culture and the organization than Level I to act as effective legislative legislative liaisons.

Col Weiss basically proposed Col Hodgkins idea of keeping Lt Col while serving, but reverting to earned grade when done.

Col Jensen said something about being brought in as a medical officer... then something about being in a leadership position... there is a provision that members can be reduced in grade if they don't perform at a level commensurate.

...missed a minute...

Col Carr questions why we'd make different requirements to keep Lt Col grade for legislative liaisons and retired Armed Forces Lt Col's.  He says we don't ask former Armed Forces Lt Col's to do more than Level I to keep grade.

Motion to postpone, seconded... unanimously moved to postpone.  Col Kuddes added guiding comments that we need to look at how we deal with all special promotions.  Gen Courter adds her belief is that this is different because we're promoting someone all the way from the bottom (potentially) all the way to the top (Lt Col); since someone may not continue on in the position, they retain the grade and that's why there is special consideration for this item and not other special promotions. 

Pylon

Gen Courter indicates that 9,500 people from 47 states are watching the live NEC stream.  900 people looked at a safety video and Gen Courter asks the rest of us to watch the safety video.

Moves to recess the meeting.  Feed cuts to "On break" splash screen at 2:53pm.

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on May 02, 2008, 06:18:05 PM
Col Weiss asked a question (inaudible on my end), motion passed unanimously.

Did he motion to have the CAPTalk thread on PAWG shutting down reopened?

???   >:D

MIKE

He can start a new thread which eventually will devolve into the same arguement and get locked just like the other ones... just like everyone else.

Back to topic.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on May 02, 2008, 06:23:31 PM
Gen Courter clarifies which items are actually covered by this proposal.

What was included in that?

Quote from: MIKE on May 02, 2008, 07:01:32 PM
Back to topic.

Before we do that, can we have an argument over the definition of "ranger," talk about orange hats and somehow bring nazis into it?   >:D

MIKE

No, for the last time... back to topic.
Mike Johnston