Above All. The new Air Force slogan.

Started by Smokey, February 20, 2008, 07:46:50 PM

Smokey

From AF Times..
The Air Force formally unveiled a new advertising campaign and the slogan, "Above All."

"Above All" is supposed to reflect both the Air Force's physical presence over battlefields and the critical nature of the service's missions in air, space and cyberspace, according to officials at GSD&M Idea City, the Air Force's ad agency since 2001.

Below is the link to the video.

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/af_aboveallad_080219/

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Al Sayre

Sounds remarkably...  Hmmm what is the word I'm looking for?... Germanic.

USAF Uber Alles...  Airforce Uber Alles...

Wonder how long that'll last after the Berzerkly crowd gets ahold of it?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

mikeylikey

"Above all" I want to puke!  "Above All" they could have gotten a narrator that sounded just a little more enthusiastic.  "Above All" they should have shown more airplanes.  "Above All" hints of "Army Strong".  Is it me or are these catchy "catch phrases" getting shorter and shorter??

"Above All", they could have produced something better.
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

maybe USAF should try something really cool like "More than meets the skies" >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

BigMojo

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Walkman

As an advertising pro, I like it. Quite a bit actually.

Quote from: BigMojo on February 20, 2008, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on February 20, 2008, 08:24:51 PM
"More than meets the skies" >:D

Make it stop! Make it stop!

I'm with ya'...

Walkman

I wonder if we can steal their old line to replace "MTMTS"

"Aim High" was really good IMHO

BillB

Someone send Big Mojo and email with "CAP we're on the go."
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: BillB on February 20, 2008, 11:32:58 PM
Someone send Big Mojo and email with "CAP we're on the go."

Don't tempt me.

"Above all" they should have stuck with "Do Something Amazing".

SamFranklin

"Above All" is a good tagline. As soon as I heard it, my thoughts turned to the literal (altitude) and the metaphorical (high quality).  Then low and behold, the official explanation says that's exactly the effect they wanted to achieve.

Aim High, was good, too, but it takes time for these things to gain acceptance through repetition.  I say give Above All a chance.

The Marines' "Few the Proud..." is excellent, of course, but what the Marines are selling in part is their awesome tradition.  Because the Air Force is the youngest service and the most hi-tech, I think they're right to keep their slogan fresh.

But such a progressive attitude is apt to offend backward-looking traditionalists.

JohnKachenmeister

Right.  Backward-looking traditionalists.

You say that like its a BAD thing!

"The US Air Force... Hey, it was good enough for Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, and Ronald Reagan, why not you?"
Another former CAP officer

SamFranklin

This thread started me looking for more about the new Air Force slogan. 

The official view talks of "recruiting the NEXT generation of airmen"  (emphasis mine).  I am not a marketer, but that explanation does mesh with my initial thought about why the Air Force needs to keep its advertising fresh.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123087033

Also, I was hugely impressed by the rationale for the Air Force symbol and its potential to achieve cultural change.  Identity expert Tony Spaeth reviews it here (from 2000):

http://identityworks.com/reviews/2000/usaf.htm

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: magoo on February 21, 2008, 12:39:56 AM
This thread started me looking for more about the new Air Force slogan. 

The official view talks of "recruiting the NEXT generation of airmen"  (emphasis mine).  I am not a marketer, but that explanation does mesh with my initial thought about why the Air Force needs to keep its advertising fresh.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123087033

Also, I was hugely impressed by the rationale for the Air Force symbol and its potential to achieve cultural change.  Identity expert Tony Spaeth reviews it here (from 2000):

http://identityworks.com/reviews/2000/usaf.htm

"Recruiting the NEXT generation of airmen" sounds like it should be OUR slogan.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: magoo on February 20, 2008, 11:49:13 PM
Because the Air Force is the youngest service and the most hi-tech, I think they're right to keep their slogan fresh.

Are they really the most high tech?  Some may differ on that opinion.
What's up monkeys?

SamFranklin

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 21, 2008, 12:35:43 AM
Right.  Backward-looking traditionalists.

You say that like its a BAD thing!

"The US Air Force... Hey, it was good enough for Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, and Ronald Reagan, why not you?"

Sir, are you forgetting Reagan's famous "It's morning in America again..." commercial?  Dutch was one of the most forward-looking leaders of all time. He didn't want to roll back detente and containment, he wanted to create a future without a Soviet Union.

If you're looking for a leadership role model who is proud to be "backward-looking," Regan is not your man, but maybe George Wallace is.

SamFranklin

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 21, 2008, 12:43:09 AM
Are they really the most high tech?  Some may differ on that opinion.

Are you being serious?  No fighting force on the planet is as high-tech as the U.S. Air Force. I'm not saying that as a cheerleader, I think 99% of objective observers would agree with my claim. 

Where people disagree is whether technology makes enough of a difference in post-modern asymmetrical warfare. 

mikeylikey

^ I took your post to mean the AF was the most high tech of all the US Armed Services.  Sorry for the confusion.  I agree the USAF is the most high tech Air Force in the world.
What's up monkeys?

SamFranklin

I'm putting way too much thought into the new slogan, but one modification I'd make is to remove the vertical bars separating the realms of battle:  "AIR | SPACE | CYBERSPACE."

If you're a force who controls those three domains -- a truly boundless force -- your graphical identity should reflect that. Why build little walls < | > when the service's own doctrine has morphed from "air and space" to "aerospace" and the like.

The better approach:
AIR   SPACE   CYBERSPACE

Nonetheless, a great slogan.

BigMojo

I do slogans and logos for a living too Walkman... The new AF slogan isn't bad at all...If they paid me what some NYC firm was paid for that, I'm SURE I could come up with something good too... ;D

Anyone at NHQ watching...let me know if you need a little pro-bono work done...I'm sure Walkman and I can come up with something better than what we have now!
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Walkman

Quote from: BigMojo on February 21, 2008, 01:38:03 AM
Anyone at NHQ watching...let me know if you need a little pro-bono work done...I'm sure Walkman and I can come up with something better than what we have now!

Already in progress...