Main Menu

As real as it gets

Started by O-Rex, October 20, 2007, 04:58:24 AM

O-Rex

Quote from: Steve Silverwood on October 21, 2007, 10:40:23 PM
Ike by Michael Korda -- just published this year, I believe.  Great bio of Eisenhower from his early years all the way through his presidency, with exceptional detail given to his military service.

Speaking of Ike, has anyone ever seen the HBO movie "Ike: Countdown to D-day" with Tom Selleck?  They are closing a ton of Hollywood Video locations, with the obligatory stock liquidation, and I snagged it for a buck (!)

It's all behind-the-scenes drama: no shots fired here, but its great insight on the dilemmas of policy & decision-making, as well as senior-subordinate relationships: Ike has to relieve a friend and former West Point classmate for OPSEC violations, and you get an interesting version of Ike's meeting with Patton, in which Patton eats some humble-pie.  Remember that Patton had 12 years and much seniority on Ike. Patton was USMA Class of '03 to Ike's Class of '15. Also, Patton was already a General at the time that Major Eisenhower was MacArthur' aide-de-camp in the Philippines at the outbreak of the war.

It's probably the best politics-meets-strategy movie that I've seen to-date.

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: O-Rex on October 22, 2007, 12:50:01 AM
Speaking of Ike, has anyone ever seen the HBO movie "Ike: Countdown to D-day" with Tom Selleck?  They are closing a ton of Hollywood Video locations, with the obligatory stock liquidation, and I snagged it for a buck (!)

It's all behind-the-scenes drama: no shots fired here, but its great insight on the dilemmas of policy & decision-making, as well as senior-subordinate relationships: Ike has to relieve a friend and former West Point classmate for OPSEC violations, and you get an interesting version of Ike's meeting with Patton, in which Patton eats some humble-pie.  Remember that Patton had 12 years and much seniority on Ike. Patton was USMA Class of '03 to Ike's Class of '15. Also, Patton was already a General at the time that Major Eisenhower was MacArthur' aide-de-camp in the Philippines at the outbreak of the war.

Yes, I saw it when it first ran on TV, but didn't know it was released on DVD.  I'll have to hunt for it.  Thanks for the lead!
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Walkman

Great thread. I had just asked our Group CC for a book list on this very subject for my son. He's a WWII nut and wants to be an AF pilot. Now when I go to the library, I'll have a target list.

Thanks!

ZigZag911

How did I forget this one?

"The Caine Mutiny", by Herman Wouk

JohnKachenmeister

Really obscure, and I don't recall the author, but it was a great read and offered many insights into Army life:

"Once an Eagle."

It follows the careers of two officers, a mustang and a privilged-class West Pointer from World War I to the early days of Vietnam.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

For a movie, another obscure one:

"The Gallant Hours."

James Cagney as Halsey.  He has to relieve his best friend at Guadalcanal, and uses his staff to manage the battle.  Good insights into avoiding the "Surrounding yourself with yes-men" mindset.

NYWG Historian

For the pathos of military life:

Up Front by Bill Mauldin
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

Short Field

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 22, 2007, 09:13:35 PM

"Once an Eagle."

It follows the careers of two officers, a mustang and a privilged-class West Pointer from World War I to the early days of Vietnam.

The author was Anton Myrer.  It was made into a mini-series of the same name in 1976 starring Sam Elliott.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

O-Rex

Flight of the Intruder (book)

CAG Cmdr Campanella gives Jake Grafton a royal butt-chewing and goes into why the military must remain subordinate to civilian leadership.

It's a great monologue: reads like a chapter out of ACSC text.

Cecil DP

Quote from: O-Rex on October 22, 2007, 12:50:01 AM
Quote from: Steve Silverwood on October 21, 2007, 10:40:23 PM
Ike by Michael Korda -- just published this year, I believe.  Great bio of Eisenhower from his early years all the way through his presidency, with exceptional detail given to his military service.

Remember that Patton had 12 years and much seniority on Ike. Patton was USMA Class of '03 to Ike's Class of '15. Also, Patton was already a General at the time that Major Eisenhower was MacArthur' aide-de-camp in the Philippines at the outbreak of the war.

Patton graduated in either 1911 or 12. MacArthur was USMA class of 03. (Marshall was a VMI grad the same year).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Short Field

Just FYI.  Patton was very much a "troop commander" for his career while Eisenhower was a supremely capable general staff planner. 

General Patton attended the Virginia Military Institute for one year and went on to graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point on June 11, 1909. He was then commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the 15th cavalry Regiment.  Promotion to Major in 1920, to Lt Col in 1935, to Col in 1939, to Brig Gen in July 1940, Maj Gen in Apr 1941, to Lt Gen on 12 Mar 1943, and General in Apr 1945.  Died 21 Dec 1945.  Saw combat with Pershing in Mexico and in World War I.

General Eisenhower entered United States Military Academy, West Point, New York, June 14, 1911, and graduated June 12, 1915.  Promoted to Major in 1924, Lt Col in 1936, Col on 11 Mar 1941, Brig Gen on 3 Oct 1941, Maj Gen on 27 Mar 1942, Lt Gen on 7 Jul 1942, and General on 11 Feb 1943, and General of the Army on 20 Dec 1944.  Permanent promotions to the general ranks followed at later dates.

Wilson #2640

SAR-EMT1

PT-109
Honor and Country
Man Down

And I would like to comment that Tom Clancy, WEB Griffen,  Galloway and many others are all excellent and are all on my shelf.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Not to get "too far off topic" again, is (are) there any members out there who have created a powerpoint presentation on military things to present to CAP members.  Such as, differences between Officers and Enlisted, military customs and courtesies to follow when visiting a base/post....etc. I would even go as far as asking for any presentations made to cadets that introduce them to military stuff.

THANKS
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 23, 2007, 06:06:53 PM
Not to get "too far off topic" again, is (are) there any members out there who have created a powerpoint presentation on military things to present to CAP members.  Such as, differences between Officers and Enlisted, military customs and courtesies to follow when visiting a base/post....etc. I would even go as far as asking for any presentations made to cadets that introduce them to military stuff.

THANKS

I ran a SLS, and the new SLS curriculum is pretty lame.  I substituted two movies from the "Approved" list that I considered more relavant to the topic than what was suggested.  (This brought down the wrath of the Wing God of Professional Development, but I can handle it.)

The ones I put in are:

1.  Patton.  The scene from where he calls Bradley and is told that there is "Some activity" up north, through his ruminations about the likelihood of a German winter offensive, his staff briefing, and ending where he is briefing Beedle Smith and says he can "Attack with two divisions in 24 hours."  I used that for intro into "Communications as a Squadron Staff Officer" to show them what a good staff should be able to do.

2.  Patton, 12 O'Clock High, and Heartbreak Ridge.  I showed a medley of the Patton opening speech, the takeover of the faltering bomb group (starting with the smoke with the driver and ending with the "You're already dead" speech, and Clint Eastwood introducing himself to his troops.  Each was a different style of communication, and each was intended for a different audience and situation. 

For cadets, I'd cut out the Clint Eastwood speech.  I'm wild, not reckless.

ColonelJack

I know it's off-topic, but since you mention Patton's and Eisenhower's promotion dates, I thought I would add my main man MacArthur's data (since his name came up):

Second Lieutenant, 11 Jun 1903; First Lieutenant, 23 Apr 1904; Captain, 27 Feb 1911; Major, 11 Dec 1915; Colonel (National Army), 5 Aug 1917; Brigadier General (National Army), 26 Jun 1918; Brigadier General (Regular Army), 20 Jan 1920; Major General, 17 Jan 1925; General (to serve as Chief of Staff), 21 Nov 1930; reverted to Major General 1 Oct 1935; Lieutenant General (temporary), 27 Jul 1941; General (temporary), 18 Dec 1941; General of the Army, 18 Dec 1944. 

Interestingly, MacArthur never served in the grade of lieutenant colonel.  He was a major and in charge of the National Guard Bureau in the War Department.  With the mobilization of the Guard for overseas deployment in World War I, MacArthur was promoted directly to colonel -- the grade he'd have to hold to do the job the Army needed him to do.

Also, there were two proposals to make MacArthur a General of the Armies (six-star rank equivalent) but, due to internal politics regarding General Marshall and a concern about retirement benefits, the plans were dropped.  Then, when the plans were revived in 1962-1963, the assassination of President Kennedy and MacArthur's own death scuttled them.

MacArthur is also the only American officer to ever hold the rank of "Field Marshal" -- a position he held with the Philippine Army prior to World War II.  That reminds me of the reason our five-star rank was called General of the Army (or the apocryphal reason, anyway).  Seems that the idea was to call it Field Marshal like everyone else, but one of the men who'd get the rank -- George C. Marshall -- didn't want to be addressed as "Marshal Marshall," so the title was changed.  True?  I don't know, but it makes a great story.

Did I ever mention that MacArthur's portrait hangs on my office wall at home?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Short Field

Quote from: ColonelJack on October 23, 2007, 08:49:21 PM
I know it's off-topic, but since you mention Patton's and Eisenhower's promotion dates, I thought I would add my main man MacArthur's data (since his name came up):

Actually I think it is on-topic as it shows several of us have read enough history that we too easily get drawn into minor historical discussion.  One trait shared by most successful generals and admirals is that they read lots of military history - especially that which was related to their field of warfare.  That trait applies to any field of endeavor.

Reading lists are good and help create a more common background of knowledge.  However, I would highly recommend to the younger members to read a lot - and include both the highly recommend books and ones that you just find on the bookshelf.   Just because a book isn't highly rated doesn't mean it is bad - or that it doesn't contain that one page that puts a major concept into perspective.   There are only two ways to expand your experience level - (1) do things yourself and (2) share how other people did things.  That is what books do for you.  And I would rather read about Custer's Last Stand than have been there.

But continue on with the good books....

Wilson #2640

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Short Field on October 23, 2007, 10:07:45 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on October 23, 2007, 08:49:21 PM

Actually I think it is on-topic as it shows several of us have read enough history that we too easily get drawn into minor historical discussion.  One trait shared by most successful generals and admirals is that they read lots of military history - especially that which was related to their field of warfare.  That trait applies to any field of endeavor.

Reading lists are good and help create a more common background of knowledge.  However, I would highly recommend to the younger members to read a lot - and include both the highly recommend books and ones that you just find on the bookshelf.   Just because a book isn't highly rated doesn't mean it is bad - or that it doesn't contain that one page that puts a major concept into perspective.   There are only two ways to expand your experience level - (1) do things yourself and (2) share how other people did things.  That is what books do for you.  And I would rather read about Custer's Last Stand than have been there.

But continue on with the good books....

"Learn from the mistakes of others... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!"

mikeylikey

Do they still promote NG Officers higher when called to active Duty anymore, and then revert them back once their AD time is over?  Or did we get rid of that system?

Also, why don't we have a five star right now?  Does it have to be a Declared War?

Funny to read that some Officers "skipped" some steps along the way.  Sounds like CAP.  ("Hey Lt Joe, since you are  Group Commander now because you know the Wing Commander, and your have only been in a year, here is your Major")
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

I ran a SLS, and the new SLS curriculum is pretty lame.  I substituted two movies from the "Approved" list that I considered more relavant to the topic than what was suggested.  (This brought down the wrath of the Wing God of Professional Development, but I can handle it.)

The ones I put in are:

1.  Patton.  The scene from where he calls Bradley and is told that there is "Some activity" up north, through his ruminations about the likelihood of a German winter offensive, his staff briefing, and ending where he is briefing Beedle Smith and says he can "Attack with two divisions in 24 hours."  I used that for intro into "Communications as a Squadron Staff Officer" to show them what a good staff should be able to do.

2.  Patton, 12 O'Clock High, and Heartbreak Ridge.  I showed a medley of the Patton opening speech, the takeover of the faltering bomb group (starting with the smoke with the driver and ending with the "You're already dead" speech, and Clint Eastwood introducing himself to his troops.  Each was a different style of communication, and each was intended for a different audience and situation. 

For cadets, I'd cut out the Clint Eastwood speech.  I'm wild, not reckless.

[/quote]

Having served as a Marine for 10 years, I wouldn't use Heartbreak Ridge. It gives a terrible view of the Marine Corps, both officers and enlisted. The two officers who were featured were pitiful and the platoon were a bunch of losers. Gunny Highway was a drunken brawler who was chasing after the wife who had left him. I guess he didn't get the hint when she walked out the door.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

mikeylikey

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 24, 2007, 05:07:38 AM
Having served as a Marine for 10 years, I wouldn't use Heartbreak Ridge. It gives a terrible view of the Marine Corps, both officers and enlisted. The two officers who were featured were pitiful and the platoon were a bunch of losers. Gunny Highway was a drunken brawler who was chasing after the wife who had left him. I guess he didn't get the hint when she walked out the door.

Ah man.....you ruined it for me, I just ordered from Netflix!  Back to my netflix Que to cancel that one!
What's up monkeys?