Website
CAP Exhibit
News AD
Air Show
School
Former Member
Other

addo1

How did you learn about CAP??   I would like to hear.. (You have up to 4 choices if you heard about it a couple different ways)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

addo1

I first heard about CAP from the Nighthawk Squadron who had a exhibit at Cabelas in Fort Worth
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Flying Pig

My dad was the Sq.45 Chaplain in for several years.  I joined as soon as I was old enough.

Stonewall

Somone just got their 50th post and was dying to start a poll....   8)

2 good buddies of mine had been in almost a year when one day on the school bus home, I hear them talking "military talk" in the seat in front of me.  Being the wanna-be snake eater that I was, I smacked them on the head and asked what they were talking about.

They reluctantly told me as they felt sort of embarassed, like they'd get their butt kicked or something.  I was so mad they kept it from me.  I went home and had my mom call the squadron commander.  I've been a member ever since.

One of the guys is still one of my best friends and has been since 2nd grade.  CAP only brought us closer.  He's a CW-3/Army Pilot flying OH-58Ds.  And that's my story.
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 22, 2007, 09:53:58 PM
My dad was the Sq.45 Chaplain in for several years.  I joined as soon as I was old enough.
8)  That is cool!!    8)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

addo1

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:55:13 PM
Somone just got their 50th post and was dying to start a poll....   8)

2 good buddies of mine had been in almost a year when one day on the school bus home, I hear them talking "military talk" in the seat in front of me.  Being the wanna-be snake eater that I was, I smacked them on the head and asked what they were talking about.

They reluctantly told me as they felt sort of embarassed, like they'd get their butt kicked or something.  I was so mad they kept it from me.  I went home and had my mom call the squadron commander.  I've been a member ever since.

One of the guys is still one of my best friends and has been since 2nd grade.  CAP only brought us closer.  He's a CW-3/Army Pilot flying OH-58Ds.  And that's my story.

;D    Thats right!!-- Pretty interesting!! (Hey- I hope that did not leave a bump on their heads!! ::) )
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Skyray

I was an Advanced Class Radio Amateur Operator, and the local Group Commander wanted to start a communications squadron.  We never did get that communications squadron going, but I became seriously involved in DF ing wayward ELTs.  And twenty some years later, here I am.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Walkman

My son has always wanted to be in the military. In the past few years he moved from leaning Navy to wanting to be an AF Pilot.

There was an article in the paper about the cadet color guard going to nat'l competition. We checked it out that night.

JohnKachenmeister

One of my mother's friends came over and saw me assembling a plastic airplane model when I was like 10 or 11.  Back then you had to be 14 to join.  She told me about it, and I joined as soon as I could find a squadron after I turned 14.  Finding a unit took 4 months.
Another former CAP officer

Ford73Diesel

When I was in 6th grade, some kid mentioned that his dad was in CAP and he was considering joining.

A year later my brother looked up a unit and joined. I joined 3 weeks later in April 2002. My first unit was GLR-OH-131 (Parma Cadet Squadron) under the command of Lt Col Roger Middleton. Those (to me) were the good ol' days.

Been an active member ever since and will continue to do so.

jb512

I come from a military family and was a USNLCC League Cadet when I was 11.  When we were moved overseas to Panama around 1989 there happened to be a couple who were both CAP LtCols who had started a unit there on the Ft. Clayton side.  I joined and made it up to C/MSgt (the highest cadet enlisted rank at the time) and we moved back to the states.  I got my Mitchell as a C/FO at the Lackland squadron in San Antonio and then kinda slacked off in interest because my new school's JROTC program was quite strong.  I worked my way up to C/LtCol in AFJROTC and then was out of both programs.

I had always meant to come back and finally did.

IceNine

It all started on memorial day 1997, I was turning 12 in august, and I saw them in the parade.  I started making fun of a few of "the funny looking kids playing military".  A highly observant Lt walking along side the flight with some flyers came over handed me a flyer and a brief description.   I was so awe struck that someone in the military spoke to me there was no way I could say no.  I went to my three meetings as a guest and I was hooked.  For the next 6 years I missed 6 meetings all of them so that I could be at encampment!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

From the then WV CV, he was my Geography of the US and Canada.  Lt. Col Brooks did me a great favor for getting me involved in CAP.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

My father was the SQ/CC at old PB3 in Lantana FL in the late 50's, he took me around to join when i was 13...

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pylon

The son of a friend of my mother's sister (got that?) was in the local squadron and knew I was all into any sorts of military-related goodness.  He mentioned it to us one day and said I could stop by.  Of course, I was there the very next Wednesday night and immediately thought it was super cool and wanted to know where to sign my name.

I joined, and he quit CAP about a month later.  More than 10 years later and here I am... still in CAP.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

^translation: Aunt's, Friend's, Son.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 23, 2007, 12:55:34 PM
^translation: Aunt's, Friend's, Son.

Yeah, but it sounded more confusing my way.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

at least it wasn't something like your third cousin's, brother's, nephew twice removed on your niece's, mother's, uncle's, nephew's side... :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: markh on August 23, 2007, 02:59:17 AM
When I was in 6th grade, some kid mentioned that his dad was in CAP and he was considering joining.

A year later my brother looked up a unit and joined. I joined 3 weeks later in April 2002. My first unit was GLR-OH-131 (Parma Cadet Squadron) under the command of Lt Col Roger Middleton. Those (to me) were the good ol' days.

Been an active member ever since and will continue to do so.

What ho, cheerio, eh, wot?  You know "Queen's Own" Roger, do you?
Another former CAP officer

KFreeman

From the "Smiling Jack" cartoon in the Fort Worth Star Telegram during WW2. I was probably about ten, maybe twelve, when he and "Jack Armstrong the All American Boy"(radio program) were my hero role models.

I had to wait until 1946 before I was old enough to join. Oh well.........

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator