Main Menu

National Conference

Started by lordmonar, August 12, 2014, 12:27:49 AM

lordmonar

I'm here nothing special has happened yet.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

I arrived yesterday, saw a few CAP folks in uniform today, that's it.  Location is interesting though (to a first time visitor) but [darn] these prices in this hotel.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Garibaldi

Too many Fallout: New Vegas things going through my mind...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AlphaSigOU

I'll be arriving in Sin City from the Rocket City Wednesday night; see you all at the Trop Thursday morning. Staying at Hotel Mom to save some money on the hotel bill... and being a former Vegas local gaming doesn't interest me a bit (well, the occasional slot machine and video poker if I have some money to burn... which ain't much). Any of you want to meet for drinks and/or lunch/dinner?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

I'll be landing at about 10 a.m. Thursday
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 12, 2014, 12:43:34 AM
I arrived yesterday, saw a few CAP folks in uniform today, that's it.  Location is interesting though (to a first time visitor) but [darn] these prices in this hotel.

Trop is a relatively mid-level property, wander down to the strip mid-point and get a gander there!

Looking forward to being back in November - excited to see the changes at NYNY, and other properties,
not to mention checking out the Ferris Wheel.

Some tips around Trop - Ka at MGM is a great show, but the finale has been removed since the accident last year
and is now a projection. Still a cool show, though.  Shibuya at MGM is an awesome Japanese restaurant.

Linq is worth the walk and there are a number of good restaurants there, not to mention Hash House A-Go-Go (AWE-Some)
in the Imperial Palace Quad Linq (or whatever they are calling it today). There's free parking in the
back by the Ferris wheel if you don't feel like walking.  And there's a GroupOn running for it right now:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-high-roller-at-the-linq  and/or Total Rewards members can get ticket discounts so bring your card if you go (it's free and you also get discounts in restaurants, or comps, etc.).
The best time to go is at sunset - that way you get both the day and night view for one trip.  Check the time for sunset and
get there about 15 minutes before in case there is a line (the wheel never stops).

By far, my favorite Vegas restaurant for a cheap, good meal is the Peppermill, but it's down at the other end of the strip
from Trop.  Worth it if you get down that way.  The Grande Lux in the Venetian is another good spot for
large portions and good service at a fair price.  If you want a fantastic dinner that you will remember, I recommend Toscano's
on Paradise, be aware, it's ain't cheap, but it's fantastic.

The front retail space at NYNY is all new including Hersey's, and the Coke and M&M stores are pretty cool too.

DO NOT buy water from anyone on the street or the bridges - go to a CVS or Walgreens.

Also, make sure to tell the cabbie "NO TUNNEL" when going from McCarran to the strip, especially
Trop, otherwise you may get long-hauled via the scenic route and pay twice the fare.

Other then that, not expecting much from this conference beyond different names on the same page.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on August 12, 2014, 12:27:49 AM
I'm here nothing special has happened yet.
Were you expecting otherwise?  I wouldn't expect anything special to take place there at all.  Waste of time, IMO.

The only thing to look forward to is Carr leaving.  Hopefully, Vasquez can come in with a significantly improved perspective and renewed level of respect for the general membership.  We are in strong need of a cultural change at the the top.  But I won't hold my breath.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Salty

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2014, 01:35:49 AM
Some tips around Trop - Ka at MGM is a great show, but the finale has been removed since the accident last year and is now a projection. Still a cool show, though.

Two of my best friends are members of the Ka show.  I highly recommend the show even though the ending was removed.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

lordmonar

I'm in the air crew survival instructors class right now

Panache

Quote from: A.Member on August 12, 2014, 04:14:35 PM
The only thing to look forward to is Carr leaving.

Not an attack... a curious question.  Why do you dislike Carr?

EmLyn

I am headed in tomorrow morning.  A little excited. A little nervous. Never been to Las Vegas and my first CAP conference.  Add in some personal stuff like having a service dog and we will see what happens. 

FW

I hope everyone who attends the conference finds it enjoyable and rewarding.  I've only missed 3 in the last 25 years, and found each one entertaining (to say the least).  Las Vegas is one of the best venues to go for the conferernce; especially in August.  Thank you Mr. Carrier!
Due to other obligations, I'm missing this one.  Next year, I hope to attend and meet old and new friends. I think it will be held in Orlando.  I may have to bring the grand kids with me... ;)

Angus

Quote from: EmLyn on August 12, 2014, 07:28:35 PM
I am headed in tomorrow morning.  A little excited. A little nervous. Never been to Las Vegas and my first CAP conference.  Add in some personal stuff like having a service dog and we will see what happens.

If you have time and are making a vacation out of it one stop I would recommend is the Liberace Museum. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

A.Member

Quote from: Panache on August 12, 2014, 06:07:04 PM
Quote from: A.Member on August 12, 2014, 04:14:35 PM
The only thing to look forward to is Carr leaving.

Not an attack... a curious question.  Why do you dislike Carr?
He directly propogates a toxic culture at the National level.  He manages like a Sgt.  He demonstrated that he was not capable of 'leading at his level'; ie leaders should lead and address issues appropriate for their role.   His approach to 'safety', aircraft incidents/hangar rash are perfect examples of his inability to do so.

The National Commander should not be involved in the minutiae of a hangar rash incidents and grounding shouldn't require his release.  His recent approach in dealing with this topic has proven disrespectful to membership, including setting up numerous conference calls in which he directly calls out specific members on incidents that occured previously and were resolved.  Moreover, he did so without demonstrating that a true problem really exists nor did there appear to be any genuine interest in developing an approach for improving the process, leaving the distinct impression the entire interaction was merely a witch hunt.  Very Bush league and such an approach requires a dramatic change at National; clearly missed on one of our Core Values.

So, yeah....I'm not a fan.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

EmLyn

Thanks Angus.  I'll try to get it in. I think my only sightseeing objectives right now is the Atomic Testing museum and to play an old fashion slot machine at least once.  But not coming home until next Tuesday, so looking for more ideas. 

Meanwhile, I am curled up in a hotel in Tampa so I don't have to leave the house at 2 am for my 8 am flight and just realized that while I have Boo's food for the Vegas leg of travel, I left the food for tonight and tomorrow morning at home.... along with her dishes.  :-[ Shucks, I was even working from a list and had it right by her vest.  Oh, well... off to the dollar store for bowls.  Glad I packed extra food, just in case

lordmonar

Quote from: Angus on August 12, 2014, 08:40:03 PM

If you have time and are making a vacation out of it one stop I would recommend is the Liberace Museum.
closed :(

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 12, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Quote from: Angus on August 12, 2014, 08:40:03 PM

closed :(

You can see some of the artifacts at Cosmo, which is something to see in and of itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

As to Maj Gen Carr, the question isn't of dislike, he's a committed volunteer like the rest of us, the
question is "What is his legacy?".

In other threads, Ned put forth that his legacy is 39-1 and "no scandals".  Yes, keeping the doors open
is important in and of itself, but that's what the National staff is for.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2014, 11:02:11 PM
As to Maj Gen Carr, the question isn't of dislike, he's a committed volunteer like the rest of us, the
question is "What is his legacy?".

In other threads, Ned put forth that his legacy is 39-1 and "no scandals".  Yes, keeping the doors open
is important in and of itself, but that's what the National staff is for.

I had a discussion about this very topic a few weeks ago with a squadron-mate of mine. This gentleman and I ended the discussion with thought that there were a few items that would be a noteworthy legacy after General Carr's term:
1) The "Ask the National Commander" button within eServices,
2) Leading the organization after the transition in the governance structure.

This is the first time in a long time where the organization's CEO was unmistakeably and in fact a member. Previously we had a national leader that was a volunteer, and a national leader that was an employee, and a governance that appeared to be a bit hands-off until a major problem occurred.

In addition, the electronic embodiment of an "open door" policy, with appropriate visibility to the intermediary chain-of-command is a good innovation, and one that I hope continues to be used properly.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ed Bos on August 12, 2014, 11:45:51 PMThis is the first time in a long time where the organization's CEO was unmistakeably and in fact a member. Previously we had a national leader that was a volunteer, and a national leader that was an employee, and a governance that appeared to be a bit hands-off until a major problem occurred.

Do you really think this has made any difference, or has even been noticed by the average rank and file member?
It's a nuance at best, at least from a practical perspective.

"That Others May Zoom"