New national Vice Commander and Chief of Staff

Started by Garibaldi, June 24, 2014, 01:54:56 AM

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2014, 11:01:13 PM
More of the same.

I'm sure these gentlemen are fine members but they look to be "safe" choices that will not be interested in the
disruptive change CAP desperately needs to remain viable.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about.  As usual.

Myrick remains the best wing commander I've served under in nearly 30 years of writing checks to NHQ.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Private Investigator

Quote from: Mustang on June 27, 2014, 07:21:07 AM

More of the same.

I'm sure these gentlemen are fine members but they look to be "safe" choices that will not be interested in the

Myrick remains the best wing commander I've served under in nearly 30 years of writing checks to NHQ.

I agree, best Wing Commander ever and CAP has had many Wing Commanders.  :clap:

Private Investigator

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". That could be paraphase to include National Commanders. WE all have agendas and anyone who has been a Commander at any level knows AE, CP and ES does not get an equal third of anything. So saying all that to say this, you can not make everyone happy and it is what it is.   8)

Chappie

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 27, 2014, 06:00:22 PM
Quote from: Mustang on June 27, 2014, 07:21:07 AM

More of the same.

I agree, best Wing Commander ever and CAP has had many Wing Commanders.  :clap:

And you can add Region Commander to that list as well - just sayin'.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 27, 2014, 06:09:00 PM
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". That could be paraphase to include National Commanders. WE all have agendas and anyone who has been a Commander at any level knows AE, CP and ES does not get an equal third of anything. So saying all that to say this, you can not make everyone happy and it is what it is.   8)

What I learned from Col Myrick was that if one doesn't know what there is to know about AE, CP, ES, etc. surround yourself with people who do.    When he approached me about serving as the CAWG HC years ago, he stated to me: "The CAWG Chaplain Corps is broken, fix it".   When I inquired as to how he wanted me to go about it, he simply said, "I don't know...do your Chaplain thing".   With that he gave me the latitude and the trust to do what I could to turn things around -- and that we did.  He never micro-managed but wanted to be kept in the loop.  And the quality of people of people who served on his staff -- at wing and region -- were amazing.  Best experience ever.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on June 27, 2014, 07:21:07 AMMyrick remains the best wing commander I've served under in nearly 30 years of writing checks to NHQ.

How nice for you - many people who were in the inner circle of HWSRN liked him, too, some still believe
he should still be commander and was on the right track.

That is not to say Col Myrick is in the same club.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on June 27, 2014, 06:21:19 PMAnd the quality of people of people who served on his staff -- at wing and region -- were amazing.  Best experience ever.

Here's my issue with that, because I hear this all the time "Wing and Region staff are awesome..."  etc., etc.

Yes, for those >on< staff it can be great, pretty much carte blanch power in whatever your area is, up to and including
the whole wing / region, no real expectations of performance or even that people down or upstream know who you are,
and the ability to participate pretty much anywhere you want, in any mission or activity.

Then there's the access to resources, money, and information at a level the average member doesn't have, opening more opportunities
for those "in the know" and sometimes keeping them from the rank and file.

All "great" for the staff.

Except in far too many of those case the pyramid is upside down, and no one is helping the units of groups, who often feel
completely disconnected from CAP "reality".  Staff officers get decorations and awards for collating reports from the units and
groups, but never actually >do< anything with the information except file it and check the CI box.  The get an HS on their
inspection because they had 29 POAs (or whatever) in their folder, and that's the end of the conversation. (etc., etc.)

I've had far too much recent experience with too many people who talked a good game and then did either nothing
or the opposite of what they promised those around them they would do, or when off on shiny tangents that just waste time and resources
to take anyone at face value anymore.

Show me what people have done to "fix" CAP, and then we can talk about "awesome".

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Chappie

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 27, 2014, 07:38:41 PM
^ I think we will just disagree.  8)

^ +1

And to borrow the statement from Mustang to Eclipse: "You haven't a clue what you're talking about.  As usual." -- especially when it comes to the leadership style demonstrated in the CAWG and PCR under Col Myrick and what he expected .... make that demanded ... of his staff.  He placed great emphasis on and reminded staff of why they were there....to serve and help facilitate the needs of the members.   

Sorry about your recent experiences and how it is affecting your current outlook, but Col Myrick has had a consistent track record of bringing out the best in others and providing the opportunities/resources to do so at each of his commands from squadron to region --- and I expect no less than that in his new assignment.

arajca

To the champions of Col Myrick, please keep in mind to many of us he was just a name on paper, if that. We have no experience with him and his leadership styles/abilities. So we have good reason to be skeptical until WE have seen how he operates and can form our own opinions of him. Many of us have seen the results, or lack thereof, of folks appointed to national leadership positions.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on June 27, 2014, 10:23:01 PM
To the champions of Col Myrick, please keep in mind to many of us he was just a name on paper, if that. We have no experience with him and his leadership styles/abilities. So we have good reason to be skeptical until WE have seen how he operates and can form our own opinions of him. Many of us have seen the results, or lack thereof, of folks appointed to national leadership positions.

Exactly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2014, 10:46:10 PM

Exactly.

Nice back pedal there Eclipse.  For only seeing his name on a piece of paper and not knowing his leadership style or experienced serving with him, you were sure quick to pull the trigger and prejudge him as "more of the same".  Hmmmm...if you haven't served with him or under his command or haven't seen him in action, how did you reach that conclusion??? ::)

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on June 28, 2014, 12:03:34 AM
Nice back pedal there Eclipse.  For only seeing his name on a piece of paper and not knowing his leadership style or experienced serving with him, you were sure quick to pull the trigger and prejudge him as "more of the same".  Hmmmm...if you haven't served with him or under his command or haven't seen him in action, how did you reach that conclusion??? ::)

Well, for starters, I see what leaks out of the edges of PCR and CAWG, and there are plenty of members
here who post regularly about the foibles, inexplicable policies, and general "left-coasty-ness" of CAWG and PCR.

Shall we start with a special GTM uniform and nomex required for flying, not to mention the
seeming inability to properly maintain the very supplements that assert those requirements?

That was my serve, this is where you hit the ball back and tell us how much they have fixed that made a difference at the unit level for the rank and file.

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

More of the same.

Give them a chance. Geesh!

Mitchell 1969

You've heard from people who know him and they speak highly of him. True, to others, he is just a name. But, "right to be skeptical?" How about tempering that a bit to "right to be neutral" until you get to know him? What has he done to earn skepticism?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Chappie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: Chappie on June 28, 2014, 12:03:34 AM

Well, for starters, I see what leaks out of the edges of PCR and CAWG, and there are plenty of members
here who post regularly about the foibles, inexplicable policies, and general "left-coasty-ness" of CAWG and PCR.

Shall we start with a special GTM uniform and nomex required for flying, not to mention the
seeming inability to properly maintain the very supplements that assert those requirements?

That was my serve, this is where you hit the ball back and tell us how much they have fixed that made a difference at the unit level for the rank and file.

Hmmmm --- difference at unit level and for rank and file???  Try taking command of a wing the size of California which was placed on a freeze until all of the assets were accounted for in the 50+ squadrons???  How about evaluated SARXs and Compliance Inspections that were marginal and satisfactory becoming Excellent and Outstanding?  Know about motivating membership participation that receives national recognition on a consistent basis at National Conferences?  How about providing a top notch Professional Development program for Seniors and Cadets???  That is the difference between what you and I see as leadership.  You see uniform issues and I see how his leadership impacted the membership.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2014, 12:20:31 AM

GTM uniforms were imposed on PCR by the NB not the other way around....and the Nomex required for flying is a thing of the past......not Myricks doing at all.

So...your serve is a Fault.....re-serve.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2014, 01:24:03 AM
GTM uniforms were imposed on PCR by the NB

Why would the NB care?

Cite please.

So something in the past, instituted or at least tolerated by the people we're discussing aren't relevent anymore?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on June 28, 2014, 01:22:37 AM
Hmmmm --- difference at unit level and for rank and file???  Try taking command of a wing the size of California which was placed on a freeze until all of the assets were accounted for in the 50+ squadrons???  How about evaluated SARXs and Compliance Inspections that were marginal and satisfactory becoming Excellent and Outstanding?  Know about motivating membership participation that receives national recognition on a consistent basis at National Conferences?  How about providing a top notch Professional Development program for Seniors and Cadets???  That is the difference between what you and I see as leadership.  You see uniform issues and I see how his leadership impacted the membership.

Do you have any idea how many wings that list applies to?

You go back to the early 2000's and 1/2 the organization was on freeze, the other stuff is just part and parcel of keeping the doors open.  BTDT, all of it.

"That Others May Zoom"