New national Vice Commander and Chief of Staff

Started by Garibaldi, June 24, 2014, 01:54:56 AM

Garibaldi

Just got the email about the new appointment. COL Larry Myrick of PCR is the new Vice Commander, and COL Larry Ragland of MER is the new Chief of Staff.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

futura

COL Larry Myrick of PCR is the new Vice Commander - an outstanding CAP officer. Excellent news!

Private Investigator

COL Myrick deserves the "star", he is just very exceptional on many levels   :clap:

dwb

Two excellent choices. I look forward to seeing this new command team in action!

Eclipse

More of the same.

I'm sure these gentlemen are fine members but they look to be "safe" choices that will not be interested in the
disruptive change CAP desperately needs to remain viable.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

I'm not familiar with Col Ragland. but Col Myrick is very much a proponent of CAP defining it's identity and moving forward with the times.

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2014, 11:01:13 PM
More of the same.

I'm sure these gentlemen are fine members but they look to be "safe" choices that will not be interested in the

+1

PHall

Haven't we had enough "disruptive change" in the past couple of years? ???

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on June 26, 2014, 12:57:12 AM

We have had zero "disruptive" or for that matter any substantive change in a decade if not more, unless
you count program shrinkage and loss of missions and members.

"Drama" and other trivialities like uniforms are not "change" they are distractions.

All we have had under Maj Gen Carr is "station keeping".

A number of people whom I've whined about discussed this with feel that it is likely
that Maj Gen Carr was essentially advised to "go slow" and let "CAP cool off" after the
TMZ-like 5 years it had goes through previous to his tenure.  I have nothing attributable, but
that certainly wold not surprise me.

What we need are leaders who will make non-trivial hard choices, create and dictate strategic plans,
and accept the initial attrition that would come with actually expecting people to do their jobs and show up.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

I don't believe MG Carr was told to "go slow", but that under the new governance his mandate is to run CAP on a day to day basis in accordance with the C&BL, and Regulations. The BofG is now the governing body and they make policy and corporate decisions-Not the National Commander, Commanders Council, or the Senior Advisory Group. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 26, 2014, 02:51:16 AM
I don't believe MG Carr was told to "go slow", but that under the new governance his mandate is to run CAP on a day to day basis in accordance with the C&BL, and Regulations. The BofG is now the governing body and they make policy and corporate decisions-Not the National Commander, Commanders Council, or the Senior Advisory Group.

The new governance did not take effect until well into his term, and when you consider CAP's inertia, not to mention all the
transition tasks which were required to get through the changes, Gen Vasquez will really be the first CC/CEO to actually execute fully
in the new structure.

In both of their defense (not that they need my validation), Maj Gen Courter had a literal mess to clean up after HWSRN, and
then spent the rest of her term fighting people more interested in tearing her down personally instead of working in
the organization's best interest.  We still see that today in comments made off-handedly by people who probably shouldn't be (or aren't)
members any more.

When Maj Gen Carr took office, he still had to deal with many of those same people working in the background to undermine
his tenure because they viewed him as the same team. 

With that said...

The CC/CEO sets the tone, timbre and vector - he is the voice, face, and fuel behind getting anything done in CAP, just as with
any company or similar organization.  The BOG may wield the real behind-the-scenes power, but they will not stir men's souls to action,
nor are they the force behind turning the wrenches (or screws) to get things done.

If it is not important to HEADCAP, it will not be important to anyone else, and what is presented as important, can be
an indication to the membership as to whether or not a leader is serious about addressing real issues or simply wants
to maintain the apple cart.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 02:26:52 AM
What we need are leaders who will make non-trivial hard choices, create and dictate strategic plans,
and accept the initial attrition that would come with actually expecting people to do their jobs and show up.

With today's attitudes and priorities, that's easier said than done.  I have problems getting people to come to their "real" jobs, and we're paying them to do so!

The general consensus seems to be "I'll come in to work if I feel like it today."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: capmaj on June 25, 2014, 11:09:54 PM
I'm not familiar with Col Ragland. but Col Myrick is very much a proponent of CAP defining it's identity and moving forward with the times.

Likewise...I have only met Col Ragland on a couple of occasions - but I have served with Col Myrick when he was a group commander, incident commander, wing commander and region commander.  I don't see him as a "place holder" but a "pace setter".
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2014, 11:01:13 PM
More of the same.

It is obvious that you have not spent time or been around Col Myrick.  He is not interested in the status quo.

Chappie

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 25, 2014, 07:07:54 PM
COL Myrick deserves the "star", he is just very exceptional on many levels   :clap:

+1

flyboy53

Col. Myrick was one of the instructors at the '09 NSC. Learned a lot, also came away highly motivated. You know both he and MG Carr were at that staff college. Should have realized we were working with the movers and shakers of this organization.

I do have a question though. Is this an interim appointment, or have we begun the military process of ensuring the command structure is intact by having one in place while the other is in transition.

And for the record, I though General Carr's tenure has been outstanding given the challenges. I also thought he accomplished a lot.

Alaric

Quote from: flyboy1 on June 26, 2014, 08:09:14 AM
Col. Myrick was one of the instructors at the '09 NSC. Learned a lot, also came away highly motivated. You know both he and MG Carr were at that staff college. Should have realized we were working with the movers and shakers of this organization.

I do have a question though. Is this an interim appointment, or have we begun the military process of ensuring the command structure is intact by having one in place while the other is in transition.

And for the record, I though General Carr's tenure has been outstanding given the challenges. I also thought he accomplished a lot.

Haven't seen much moving or shaking under Gen Carr's tenure

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2014, 02:26:52 AM
Quote from: PHall on June 26, 2014, 12:57:12 AM

We have had zero "disruptive" or for that matter any substantive change in a decade if not more, unless
you count program shrinkage and loss of missions and members.

Could not agree more with these statements. The organization has engaged in a lot of busywork, but hasn't hunted new missions, or expanded existing missions and organizational relationships. When the most high profile "accomplishments" are a paperweight and creating a new class of member, there is a lot of room for improvement.

What we need is someone who will look to expand our ES capabilities into fields that we've touched on but not become the SME in. We need someone who will look at the cadet program and ask "If the military is giving incentives to cadets who enlist, why isn't there a mechanism in place to award some kind of credit to cadets who don't do that and go to college?". We need a leader who will look at our stagnant 1960's-one step above a filmstrip AE program and breathe some life back into it. We need a LEADER. Period.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

FW

Our new Leadership team will take it's place in less than 60 days.  All have a deep knowlege of CAP and it's possiblities.  My hope is they serve CAP to its advantage and advance our organization to new heights. I wish them the best, and smooth air.  They deserve nothing less from all of us.