Apparently it's harder to get into the U.S. Army Cadet Corps now...

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, June 13, 2014, 03:23:11 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

From the way I understand this page, their adult leadership now, if they want to hold any kind of rank, must be prior service.

http://goarmycadets.net/officer-and-enlisted-corps.php

Correction: unless you're prior service, you apparently come in at E-3.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

After dealing with a couple local yokels that were part of that organization, I still have a bad taste in my mouth for any of it. The whole thing comes off to me with them shoving a "we're better then you" attitude in my face. Of course, I hope that's not their intent, but somehow even their web propaganda comes across that way.

Eclipse

They've had a lot of issues the last few years with facilities, abuse allegations, internal politics, and even their
attempts at official affiliation with the US Army.

From my absolutely non-direct discussions, it appeared Col Land inherited a mess, and things got worse from there.

It doesn't look like their web page has been updated since January.

"That Others May Zoom"

The14th

This group was (and is) run by a bunch of stooges and it's no surprise the amount of issues they've had in the past few years. Good idea, horrible execution. Those kids deserve better.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on June 13, 2014, 03:46:01 AM
After dealing with a couple local yokels that were part of that organization, I still have a bad taste in my mouth for any of it. The whole thing comes off to me with them shoving a "we're better then you" attitude in my face. Of course, I hope that's not their intent, but somehow even their web propaganda comes across that way.

PM me. I'd be curious to hear who your yokels were :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

At least when Shawn Stanford and I were involved in the USAC, there was no mention of that kind of thing from the leadership (at least, not in anything more than a joking way...) ever.

I can't speak to what has happened in the organization after March of last year.  Not my baliwick anymore.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GroundHawg

I live very close to their HQ in Millersburg Ky and actually went to a Type B Encampment there when it was still Millersburg Military Academy and they had a very active and large CAP program.
I decided that I would check them out and see what they were about so I sent in my email and scheduled a face to face with Col. Land. At the time I had made my change over from active to reserves and was not entirely sure if I was going to come back to CAP, but I was checking out the "competition" just in case.
I was not impressed in any way shape or form. At the time, they had just taken over the old school, and were making some much needed repairs. They were using local inmates from the county jail as well as some USAC members. The Col., while seemingly educated to talk to, was condescending and even went so far as to mention that I could use some PT. The man outweighed me by at least 100 lbs. and I had just returned from my second tour in Iraq so I was in no way out of shape. I asked what type of program they ran that awarded Jump Wings and a Scuba Badge, (he had on both, as well as a Navy Surface Warfare Pin) and was told that they didn't, that those could be worn for civilian ratings. I thanked him for his time and made my way back home.

The14th

a2capt

Sounds like my experience is .. not unique ;)

I absolutely got the impression that many were in it for the near identical uniform combinations. Maybe it needs to be harder to get into.

The14th

Quote from: a2capt on June 14, 2014, 03:58:06 AM
Sounds like my experience is .. not unique ;)

I absolutely got the impression that many were in it for the near identical uniform combinations. Maybe it needs to be harder to get into.

It needs to not exist in it's current form. A more well put together program ran by people who aren't clueless would be a good start. As I said, those kids and the Army deserve better.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Col. Land used to post on here now and again, but not for a long time.

I agree about the virtually-identical uniforms...no strictures imposed on them (yet) like the AF has on us.  Many State Defence Forces I've seen have more special identifiers...of course, they have to modify their uniforms to what their State Adjutant General requires.

If it's become the train wreck that I'm inferring from the posts here, maybe it is the Army cracking down on enrolment standards.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Not quite correct
The army has sent several cease and desist letters to the ACA
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on June 15, 2014, 01:18:34 AM
Not quite correct

C&D to quit wearing the Army's uniform?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2014, 02:32:21 AM
Not quite correct

Among other things...

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2014, 02:32:21 AM
Not quite correct

Quit wearing the uniform, quit using the term U.S. Army and the U.S. Army logo in anything that they do.   Complete separation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JK657

Col Land was put on blast on some of the Stolen Valor websites for his uniforms, medals, rank, etc

GroundHawg

Quote from: JK657 on June 15, 2014, 08:06:03 PM
Col Land was put on blast on some of the Stolen Valor websites for his uniforms, medals, rank, etc

I asked him once on a forum how someone who said they were discharged in 1990 could earn the MOVSM (which he also claimed) that was not created until 1993. Never did get a reply.

a2capt

A nice FOA request sent to the nice people in St. Louis can certainly clear that up...

The14th

He went into hiding after finally getting fired for Conduct unbecoming of a (fake) Officer, so not sure what the point would be now.