Main Menu

New Uniform Pattern

Started by LSThiker, May 23, 2014, 11:16:26 PM

LSThiker

JoeTomasone

That's gonna look ugly with ultramarine blue nametapes on it.    >:D >:D >:D

Panache

QuoteThe Army has decided on a new camo to replace the unpopular Universal Camouflage Pattern on your ACUs— and the selection is very similar to MultiCam.

"very similar to MultiCam" = "our lawyers say it's different enough for copyright and royalty purposes."

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Quote from: Panache on May 24, 2014, 02:49:41 AM
QuoteThe Army has decided on a new camo to replace the unpopular Universal Camouflage Pattern on your ACUs— and the selection is very similar to MultiCam.

"very similar to MultiCam" = "our lawyers say it's different enough for copyright and royalty purposes."

Pretty much.  Scorpion was designed by Crye under contract, the Army holds the rights to the pattern.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

That would make it .. ARPAT ;)

Here we go again. More waste.

Brad

"Simpsons did it!"

Well, the British rather: (soldier on left)

And it was produced by the same company!!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Panache

So much for that entire Congressional mandate that all the armed forces settle on one common camo pattern, eh?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Wait until people in CAP start pushing for it...with yukky ultramarine insignia.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 24, 2014, 07:29:20 AM
Wait until people in CAP start pushing for it...with yukky ultramarine insignia.

This calls for a photoshop!

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: Panache on May 24, 2014, 06:43:31 AM
So much for that entire Congressional mandate that all the armed forces settle on one common camo pattern, eh?

They have until 2017, and they are gunna milk what they can out of the time left
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Shuman 14

And this may be that pattern. The Army may just be the first Service to roll it out.  ;)

I know... shut up Shuman.  :P
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

a2capt

..it's not over until the fat lady signs the order, and the rounds of appeals are rung out.

antdetroitwallyball

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on May 24, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

They have until 2017, and they are gunna milk what they can out of the time left

I'd love to see someone try to tell the Coast Guard that they now have to where a uniform of any form of camoflage as their main utility uniform. It literally makes no sense. The only camo uniforms worn by the CG are worn by the handfull of coasties (literally less than a few hundred) who work overseas in southwest Asia.

There will be a lot of exceptions to this so-called congressional mandate, and I'm very very confident the CG will be one of those exceptions. As it is, the CG already sources it uniforms from a single, relatively small company called Fox Appearal. Even back when the army, air force, and marine corp all wore the same woodland BDU's, the CG was still wearing pretty much the same uniform as it wears now. I could see, perhaps, a push to make two uniforms, one for the Naval services (CG and Navy) and one for the land services..................but not one uniform for all.

Desert Camoflage for those who work on the water, and literally have NO AUTHORIZATION to conduct their mandated missions on land makes no sense.

Shuman 14

The question is... Is there a difference in a "working" uniform and a "combat" uniform in the collective minds of Congress?

I concur, in theater, where the need to confirm friend or foe by mark-1 eyeball dictates that all Services should be in one camo pattern uniform.

BUT

In garrison, not so much. On board a ship, even less so.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

a2capt

Blink fast while looking.

lordmonar

Quote from: shuman14 on May 24, 2014, 05:44:06 PM
The question is... Is there a difference in a "working" uniform and a "combat" uniform in the collective minds of Congress?
The question is.....Is there a mind that be collective in congress?   >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

More wasteful spending...

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on May 24, 2014, 05:37:18 PM
Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on May 24, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

Desert Camoflage for those who work on the water, and literally have NO AUTHORIZATION to conduct their mandated missions on land makes no sense.

I believe they are going for pattern, rather than a specific variant. Case and point, there is a woodland, desert, and snow variants of MARPAT and i believe they will do the same for this new pattern
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Pulsar

the patterns change faster than the wars...
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

MIKE

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on May 24, 2014, 05:37:18 PM
I'd love to see someone try to tell the Coast Guard that they now have to where a uniform of any form of camoflage as their main utility uniform. It literally makes no sense. The only camo uniforms worn by the CG are worn by the handfull of coasties (literally less than a few hundred) who work overseas in southwest Asia.

Having worn ODUs for a bit now... and even Tropical Blue, solid CG blue is a magnet for dirt.  I can see the point of the Navy NWU just in the amount of crap I pick up just getting out of the car in my freshly pressed uniform.
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I first saw the camouflage that Royal Australian Navy personnel wear aboard ship, I thought "what the heck use do they get from that?"

It was then pointed out to me that such colours/patterns are very good for having the kind of dirt they would get aboard ship not be the "magnet" that Mike describes.

But...as for Civil Air Patrol, and this will never, ever happen, regardless of colour, it might be useful (and simpler) to have one with epaulettes and we could wear our standard shoulder marks on it, leather aircrew-type patch (like the AF tried) and MAJCOM patch.  We would look much less like walking billboards, there would be much less sewing and all those who scream blue murder about "distinctiveness" would be sated (a little humour there).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

blackrain

This is the reason I refuse to buy anything else in the ACU pattern (HATE the ACU) unless forced by my command (maybe not even then). 3 deployments and 3 different uniforms......enough already.....

BBDU would be my choice for CAP though it would mean a specific purchase for CAP that not all could afford.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Private Investigator

I find it interesting when I went to the link. Army Times has 24 comments and CAP Talk has 24 comments. Wonder who takes uniform issues more seriously   ::)

Nikos

Just my 2 cents here. I am one of the new guys here.  Any uniform with the shirt worn outside, not tucked in, seems to me anyway, to be a safety hazard.  It might get caught on something like equipment when working.  Has anyone had an issue with this?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Nikos on May 26, 2014, 11:13:22 PM
Just my 2 cents here. I am one of the new guys here.  Any uniform with the shirt worn outside, not tucked in, seems to me anyway, to be a safety hazard.  It might get caught on something like equipment when working.  Has anyone had an issue with this?

I don't think it was a consideration when creating unifoms. The blouse has been untucked for hundreds of years.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BFreemanMA

+1 Garibaldi. I've taken my BDUs through nearly two years of exercises and other use and I haven't encountered a problem.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

abdsp51

Quote from: Nikos on May 26, 2014, 11:13:22 PM

Not an issue, most of the time loose clothing and jewelry is removed before working on the flight line at least in the AF anyway.  Not to mention the Navy does wear shirts and vests during flight ops that are loose.  And as long as someone has their head on a swivel and has their SA in check not that big of a deal.

Eclipse

Quote from: BFreemanMA on May 26, 2014, 11:18:54 PM
+1 Garibaldi. I've taken my BDUs through nearly two years of exercises and other use and I haven't encountered a problem.

No issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

When I said hundreds of years, I meant literally hundreds of years, way back to the Revolutionary war and back. I'm not sure why, but every time I see a soldier in a uniform from the past, the blouse has always been un-tucked. The only exception I can think of was the OG  fatigues, which we tucked in. I've seen them un-tucked in combat zones but in garrison they were tucked in.

lordmonar

In all the years that I wore BDU's on active duty....the biggest safety issue I ever encountered was the fricking buttons!  Especially the ones for the side flaps!  Those used to catch on all sort of stuff.....and if you were doing camo netting......forget about it!  You were going to get stuck!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TexasCadet

Quote from: Pulsar on May 24, 2014, 09:47:59 PM
the patterns change faster than the wars...

If I recall correctly, we haven't officially declared war since World War II. Korea was a "police action", in Vietnam we were "advisors", etc.
So, we haven't had a war in over 70 years! [/sarcasm]

Quote from: CyBorg on May 25, 2014, 01:08:02 AM
When I first saw the camouflage that Royal Australian Navy personnel wear aboard ship, I thought "what the heck use do they get from that?"

It was then pointed out to me that such colours/patterns are very good for having the kind of dirt they would get aboard ship not be the "magnet" that Mike describes.

But...as for Civil Air Patrol, and this will never, ever happen, regardless of colour, it might be useful (and simpler) to have one with epaulettes and we could wear our standard shoulder marks on it, leather aircrew-type patch (like the AF tried) and MAJCOM patch.  We would look much less like walking billboards, there would be much less sewing and all those who scream blue murder about "distinctiveness" would be sated (a little humour there).

I like it. I have seen CAP members with patches all over, and they look like walking rainbows. This looks a lot less flashy. Unfortunately, the epaulets would never be authorized. Maybe we could get something other than ultramarine blue, though.

SilentPhantom

I think CAP should just stick with the BDUs, the only problem with that is BDUs are dissapearing. ACUs have an awful pattern and with look terrible with our ultramarine nametapes and insignia. I do like the new Multicam though...
C/2dLt

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 29, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
I think CAP should just stick with the BDUs, the only problem with that is BDUs are dissapearing. ACUs have an awful pattern and with look terrible with our ultramarine nametapes and insignia. I do like the new Multicam though...

My choice would be plain green BDU's, readily available online.  It would give the flavour of the "pickle suit," a nod to our history.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 07:18:44 AM

My choice would be plain green BDU's, readily available online.  It would give the flavour of the "pickle suit," a nod to our history.

(shudder)

I hated those pickle suits when I was a cadet...

SilentPhantom

Quote from: Panache on May 30, 2014, 07:31:22 AM

(shudder)

^+1
Yeah, we'd look awfull in those 'pinkle suits'  lol
C/2dLt

Garibaldi

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 30, 2014, 04:17:12 PM

(shudder)

^+1

OOO! OOO! OG jungle fatigues!

SilentPhantom

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 30, 2014, 04:18:50 PM

(shudder)

^+1

lol if we wear those NHQ'll start sending us off to do SAREXs in Vietnam
C/2dLt

LSThiker

Quote from: SilentPhantom on May 30, 2014, 04:49:00 PM

Been to Viet Nam.  Nice place.  Just do not wonder too far off the trail :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Only the OD green with our existing nametapes would be reminiscent of the "pickle suit."

It would be in a standard BDU cut.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SilentPhantom

Quote from: LSThiker on May 30, 2014, 04:59:56 PM

Been to Viet Nam.  Nice place.  Just do not wonder too far off the trail :)

lol, yeah, there're probably still pits with pungi sticks in the bottoms all over the place...
C/2dLt

Майор Хаткевич

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 05:17:04 PM
Only the OD green with our existing nametapes would be reminiscent of the "pickle suit."

It would be in a standard BDU cut.

If we were to replace the BDU with a non-Air Force field uniform, why would we pick a green one when we already have a blue one that doesn't require additional approval? With the right color patches (meaning navy blue instead of ultramarine), this is not a bad looking uniform. Furthermore, not only is it an approved uniform, but many of our members already own a set. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 30, 2014, 04:18:50 PM

(shudder)

^+1

Well, MH370 is still missing...

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 30, 2014, 05:31:49 PM
If we were to replace the BDU with a non-Air Force field uniform, why would we pick a green one when we already have a blue one that doesn't require additional approval? With the right color patches (meaning navy blue instead of ultramarine), this is not a bad looking uniform. Furthermore, not only is it an approved uniform, but many of our members already own a set. It seems like a no brainer to me.

You are correct, of course, and I say that as someone who owns, wears and likes the BBDU...but it would look worlds better with the darker-blue insignia.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NorCal21

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 24, 2014, 03:02:14 AM
http://www.hyperstealth.com/scorpion/

Better pictures.

Funny. Looks very similar to a lot of uniforms worn by different countries in WWII. 70 years later and millions of dollars to come up with something the Italians and Germans were wearing in the 1940's.

Luis R. Ramos

Not the only thing that looks like "what Germans were using" 70 years ago.

The helmet worn now by US soldiers, for instance.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 15, 2014, 12:58:40 PM
Not the only thing that looks like "what Germans were using" 70 years ago.

The helmet worn now by US soldiers, for instance.

The Germans came up with a lot of stuff that is still being used today because of the soundness of the design.

The MG42 machine gun is the direct forebearer of the American M-60 machine gun. And the M-60 has been in service since the early 60's.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on June 15, 2014, 02:24:56 PM
The Germans came up with a lot of stuff that is still being used today because of the soundness of the design.

Both the F-86 Sabrejet and the MiG-15 had direct lineage to the swept-wing studies that Luftwaffe scientists did, which were operational on the Me-262.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=509

The 262 may have altered the course of the war if not for Hitler's insistence that it be used as a bomber.

And the German Bundesheer of today wear near-identical Flecktarn camouflage to that worn by the Waffen-SS.

Bundesheer Flecktarn

SS Panzer Jacket

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

PHall

Yeah, that pattern would work great in either the Fulda Gap or the forests of Southern Germany.
Probably wouldn't work so well in Iraq or Afghanistan. >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2014, 12:39:00 AM
Probably wouldn't work so well in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Northern Iraq:

East Kunar province, Afganistan:

"That Others May Zoom"