William "Wild Bill" Guarnere Dies

Started by TexasCadet, March 10, 2014, 09:55:17 PM

TexasCadet

Quote from: LSThiker on March 13, 2014, 01:26:28 AM

Fair enough, I misread that.

QuoteWhere did I say I did not care about Guarnere dying?

To me, it seemed from your posts that you did not care. If not, then I made a mistake, and I am sorry.

QuoteOkay, so we are getting somewhere.  So what made them an outstanding company?  What about their struggles, training, and successes moved you?  How do these correlate to E company being an outstanding company?  Had the company existed today in Afghanistan, would what they did in WWII be tolerated today?  Would we have written about them had they been a Nazi party?

I think that what made them a good company was a combination of their training and their leadership. What moved me about their training, successes, and struggles was their determination. Through it, one man might give up here or there, but as a company, they tolerated what was happening and got through it. These make Easy Company a good company because they had the training to complete the mission, the leadership to help them, and the determination to get through it.

I cannot tell you the answer to the Afghanistan question.

If Easy Company had been on the German side and part of the Nazi party, they probably would not be treated the same way. Sure, they may have gotten some recognition, but it is the victors who write history, and try hard as they might, it will always be a bit biased.

QuoteWas CPT Sobel a good leader?

In my opinion, Captain Sobel was a good trainer, but not a good leader.

QuoteThe mere act of reading history, while good, is not as important as the thinking it demands.  I am asking you what are your critical thoughts about the history/story?  Did you read critically or merely passively?

Some parts I read critically, while others I read passively. 

Quote"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice"--Mark Twain

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history"--Huxley

To Wild Weasel,

Your post about "Crossroads" brings up something interesting. It is amazing 1st Lt Winters did not get shot while standing in the road when being shot at by the machine gun.