I wonder if this would be allowed...

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, January 31, 2014, 12:39:59 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have seen these on EvilBay for some time and have wondered if it would be acceptable/not in violation of regulations to use as a car bumper sticker for no other reason than "it looks kewl."

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Why would it be against regs?  That symbol is not owned by CAP.  CAPR 900-2 does not cover such a symbol.  Besides, if it is a bumper sticker, then who would really care?

Eclipse

This is a derivative of a CAP owned insignia, and if it isn't being sold by VG or NHQ, it's a violation of CAP's rights.

With that said, no one would care what's on a POV.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on January 31, 2014, 02:20:29 AM
This is a derivative of a CAP owned insignia, and if it isn't being sold by VG or NHQ, it's a violation of CAP's rights.

With that said, no one would care what's on a POV.

That depends.

What CAP owns is this:

However, that emblem is a derivative of this image, which was created by the Office of the Quartermaster General, War Department in 1941.  And pursuant to 17 USC Section 105, the US Government cannot hold copyrights to images that were produced by officials of the US Government.

However, it just reminded me that that image is found on our aircraft.  So it depends on who holds the rights to the image.  Was it created by CAP or by the US Government?

Also, could you make an argument that that image is a derivative of two images that were created by the US Government, which then determines that no copyrights can be held?  Do not know.

Upon further review, forgot that CAPR 900-2 does state that CAP olds rights to the Civil Air Patrol emblem.  Retracted my original statement.

nmkaufman0

I don't see why the CAP roundel can't be a bumper sticker. People use the USAF's roundel for bumper stickers. When it comes to roundels, I don't see why we wouldn't be in the same category.
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

C/Awesomenesss

SarDragon

CAP doesn't have a copyright on this stuff. It is covered under Public Law.

Quote from: 36 USC ยง 40306 - Exclusive right to name, insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, marks, and wordsThe corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

More here.

Copyrights expire, public laws do not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: nmkaufman0 on January 31, 2014, 03:25:03 AM
I don't see why the CAP roundel can't be a bumper sticker. People use the USAF's roundel for bumper stickers. When it comes to roundels, I don't see why we wouldn't be in the same category.

The Air Force is the Air Force, one of the military services. CAP is a corporation, bound by the public laws that created it. See the here link in my previous post. There are two entirely different sets of rules in play.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Well, if the manufacturer is violating some sort of copyright by making them, good luck with getting them to C&D, since according to EvilBay they are made in Greece and shipped from Canada.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011