R.I.P. Former GAWG Commander Col. Tonya Boylan

Started by skymaster, November 22, 2013, 02:49:31 AM

skymaster

The following message just went out to all GAWG members. I am posting it in the interest of those who may have known our former GAWG Commander:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
"We are saddened to announce the passing of former Georgia Wing Commander, Colonel Tonya Boylan, who passed away yesterday afternoon (November 20,2013) suddenly and unexpectedly. Many of us served under Colonel Boylan's leadership, and we are saddened and shocked by her sudden passing. Her love for the Civil Air Patrol is evidenced by the many years of unselfish service she gave her community, her squadron, and the entire state of Georgia.

Our hearts go out to her husband, two sons and other family members in this difficult time. Our prayers are for them, and our thoughts are with them.

As soon as we know specifics of the funeral arrangements, we will send them out to the entire wing. The enclosed statement (below) was sent to me this afternoon by her husband, Phil Boylan, who asked me to share it with all of you."

"Yesterday at approximately 1 pm, Colonel Tonya Boylan departed her earthly life with no warning. She leaves behind two sons whom she loved dearly, Philip and Thomas, and a husband of almost 36 years who loved her more than she ever realized. She also leaves behind a sister (Tami Litton) and brother (John Bowen). The family is still in shock over this and our hearts are broken. We've lost both a mom and a life partner. We pray that a loving and merciful God has accepted her into the peace of heaven.

Tonya loved CAP, and it became her life's work. She devoted 12 years to the organization, serving in numerous positions and rising from unit commander to become GAWG's first female commander. Her most recent post was Inspector General for SER.

We are not yet sure of the funeral arrangements- we'll let you know as soon as we know. This is a very difficult time for my family. Please remember to mention us in your prayers."

RICHARD J. GREENWOOD, Colonel, CAP
Commander
Georgia Wing, Civil Air Patrol
*******************************************************************************************************************************************

ColonelJack

I'm very saddened to hear of Colonel Boylan's passing.  I got to know her briefly during her tenure as Wing CC and she was as down-to-earth and friendly a person as any you'll find.  She was from the same town I lived in, though I didn't know her at that time, and even knew who I was from my radio and television work in the town.

Blue skies, Tonya.  You will be very much missed.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Never knew her or met her, but based on her past and final role, ribbons, and achievements, she clearly accomplished a lot in a relatively short CAP career.

AlphaSigOU

My condolences to Col Boylan's family - she and I were classmates at the 2009 Pacific Region Staff College.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

I'm truly saddened to hear this news.   I had the honor of being her seminar advisor at NSC two years ago.   I was truly impressed by her knowledge,  experience,  and wit.   She had a great sense of humor as well.   CAP  and the rest of the world has lost a fine soul,  and for those of us who knew her,  she will be missed.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

alpha06

She was my friend, CAP mentor, and a role model for me. I am still in shock. She was always there to encourage me and others. I take comfort in knowing she is with our Father in Heaven.
Lord, if I must have an engine failure, let it be the Hobbs meter.

skymaster

The arrangements for the memorial service for Col Tonya Boylan are as follows:

Good Shepherd Funeral Home
2750 Shorter Avenue
Rome GA, 30165

The family will receive friends on Tuesday 26 November, 2013 from 1000-1100, with a service at 1100.

In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the college trust fund that will be set up tomorrow for one of her sons who is a cadet. Members wishing to wear their uniforms, are welcome to do so.

AirAux

She was our first female Wing Commander.  She was a true Lady and a great Commander.  She always put the troops first and did everything she could for the Cadets.  Her husband has been one of our foremost Squadron Commanders in the past as was Tonya.  Her son is now a Squadron Commander so this gives you some idea as to the family commitment to Civil Air Patrol.  She will be sorely missed by those that loved and admired her.  May God Bless her and her family.  May we all put them in our Prayers.

ChrisMOlmstead

I was honored to serve on the honor guard for her services. She was a wonderful, and truly committed woman dedicated to Civil Air Patrol. It was also an honor to see the respect she earned over the years as several surrounding wing commanders were in attendance (including ALWG, MSWG, and FLWG) as well as the SER Commander and Vice-Commander.
C/1st Lt Christopher Olmstead, CAP
Gainesville Composite Squadron (SER-GA-160)
Billy Mitchell Award (#63233 - 2013)
GES GTM3 FLM MRO ICUT IS-100, 700
FAA Private Pilot - KGVL/GVL
"Aviate, Navigate, Communicate."

Private Investigator

I met the Colonel a few years ago. Very charming lady.

God Blesses