New thread - respect and core values

Started by bflynn, November 02, 2012, 02:30:25 PM

bflynn

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 27, 2012, 12:10:51 PM"please stay on topic.  If your topic starts to drift, or you develop a new topic you'd like to discuss, please create a separate, appropriately-titled thread. 

Ref, the Big Brother thread - My mistake - my fault.  I apologize.

So, how about that discussion on the core values.  What makes a value core?  Is respect only for those you already like otherwise?

The CyBorg is destroyed

My core values?

Treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Always behave as if someone is observing you.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: CyBorg on November 02, 2012, 04:08:24 PM
My core values?

Treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Always behave as if someone is observing you.
Two values that if everyone held, would take care of the majority of problems in the world.

Always conducting yourself as if someone Were observing your every action would take care of the self discipline issue, and it's the easiest way to explain it, which is Why that is how I explain it to my cadets.

My core values:
loyalty
Duty
Respect
Selfless service
Honor
Integrity
Personal courage

Yes, these are the Army values, but they are the same values that my father brought me up with. Mainly because he knew that's where I was headed, he never liked it, but he accepted it and respected it, so he taught it. He was in both the Air Force, and the Army, so he understood both sets of values as they were taught to him, and how he taught them to me.

Respect was the only value that differs between the way he was taught, and the way he taught me. He was taught, and he taught me that everyone is to be respected at all times. However as I grew up, I found that some people almost didn't deserve respect. They Were the shady ones who stole and lied without purpose, except personal gain... Which I will never understand. They lost my respect, over time, and I talked to my father about it, and he agreed, he said he only taught the innocent version of respect, because that would set me down the strongest path, but the truth of respect was for me to learn through time. Now when it comes to stealing, there are two lines I must admit, in my own head, there is the worthless Theodore who steals for himself, just to have something, or gain something for himself. Then there is the person who has no other means to feed his children, whom I would discourage from stealing, but I would never turn in. I have not seen this person for myself, but I wouldn't condemn them for it either.

And Yes, I teach the Civil Air patrol values, but Yes, I also teach the Army values, because I believe they are good for everyone to follow.