Main Menu

Military Discounts

Started by usafcap1, May 04, 2012, 07:48:05 AM

usafcap1

As a CAP Recruiter I'm asked lots of questions. But one question I can't seem to answer is "Does CAP get military discounts?" My answer: Yes. At surplus  stores and on the base (at least out here). . . But that's not what their asking. . . Their asking "Do we (CAP) get the 10% to 75% off discounts at restaurants, etc". . . So how would I answer this?

(Most of the time I say something like "I'll have to get back to you on that". Then I look dumb because I the recruiter don't know the answer.)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Brad

As a CAP member, law enforcement employee, firefighter, and Freemason, I'm always up to my neck in discount avenues, however my philosophy is take it if it is offered, but don't ASK for it. Although I will admit I have contradicted myself now and then and asked for major things like hoping to get cheaper rent at an apartment! :D
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Ed Bos

CAP does not get military discounts. To indicate that your CAP status makes you eligible for them is a breach of ethics.

If your McDonald's cashier takes 10% off of your #2 with a large Coke, say thank you and move on.

No one in CAP should be asking for a military discount based on their status.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

abdsp51

Quote from: Ed Bos on May 04, 2012, 08:14:33 AM
CAP does not get military discounts. To indicate that your CAP status makes you eligible for them is a breach of ethics.

If your McDonald's cashier takes 10% off of your #2 with a large Coke, say thank you and move on.

No one in CAP should be asking for a military discount based on their status.

Ditto.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Never ask for them.  That is implying you deserve something that is not yours.

That said, sometimes because of an Air Force baseball cap I often wear, I will occasionally get asked if I am in the military.  My usual answer is somewhere along the lines of:

"Not anymore.  I used to be in the Air National Guard.  Now I serve in the Civil Air Patrol, the volunteer Auxiliary of the United States Air Force."

I let them take it from there.  If they grant me a discount, I thank them.  If not, no harm, no foul.

Occasionally the asker will have served in the AF and will be familiar with CAP (usually only the older ones  ::)).  If they are unfamiliar with CAP and ask about it, I show them my ID card (you never know what may be a recruiting opportunity).  Again I let them take it from there.

If I'm on my way home from a unit meeting and in uniform and stop for a quick bite at McDonalds, etc., and get asked "are you in the Air Force?," I point to my nameplate and tell them what CAP is.

Again, I let them take it from there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

tsrup

I seem to get asked that one a lot from prospective members. 

Since it's the first question asked, and the fact that we dont see them again, I have to wonder if sometimes these people think that a CAP ID is just a potential discount card.

Agreed above though, asking for a discount is poor form.  I have a friend that asks every time we're out someplace and he just has a dependent ID.  Makes me grit my teeth a little each time.
Paramedic
hang-around.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: tsrup on May 04, 2012, 05:47:07 PM
...asking for a discount is poor form...

I agree wholeheartedly.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

lordmonar

I got no problem with someone asking for a discount based on their CAP status.

Some places may actually extend such discounts to CAP.

It is not like they are taking away anything from anyone else.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

spacecommand

Your answer should be "No" CAP members generally do not get military discounts.  BUT...for this base XYZ, certain stores like the surplus store do extend discounts to CAP members.  Outside of base XYZ surplus store, CAP members do not normally get military discounts.

There might be certain outlets out there that do extend discounts, but its YMMV and not a normal benefit of joining CAP. 

Private Investigator

Does this thread have anything to do with the, "Are we active duty" thread?   :o

As a sidebar:

What is the proper uniform combination for a "military discount"?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: usafcap1 on May 04, 2012, 07:48:05 AM
As a CAP Recruiter I'm asked lots of questions. But one question I can't seem to answer is "Does CAP get military discounts?" My answer: Yes. At surplus  stores and on the base (at least out here). . . But that's not what their asking. . . Their asking "Do we (CAP) get the 10% to 75% off discounts at restaurants, etc". . . So how would I answer this?

(Most of the time I say something like "I'll have to get back to you on that". Then I look dumb because I the recruiter don't know the answer.)

Civil Air Patrol members ARE NOT entitled to military discounts, period >:( >:( >:(

Now if a business wants to extend it's discounts to CIVIL AIR PATROL members than that is their choice.

Frankly IF I were recruiting someone and that was a big concern (discounts) of their's I'm not so sure we would go further in the recruiting process.

Again I have no issue with CAP members, as CAP members getting discounts.  We don't need "wanna bees" stealing discount benefits that are suppose to be for military personnel >:( :-[ :(   
RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 05, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
We don't need "wanna bees" stealing discount benefits that are suppose to be for military personnel >:( :-[ :(   
RM

That word again... ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

rustyjeeper

I am not so keen on that "wanna be" word/ mentality myself.  I think that the majority of our members know thatthey are not in the Armed Forces Military. And some of us here did in fact serve ine the military. We are not "wanna bees" , and I for one resent the teminology.
Since I am now officially older and (honourably discharged), I prefer the term "HAS BEEN"........ much more accurate than "wanna-bee"
been there, done that, got a ribbon for it on my blues!

fyrfitrmedic

Civil Air Patrol members ARE NOT entitled to military discounts, period >:( >:( >:(

Now if a business wants to extend it's discounts to CIVIL AIR PATROL members than that is their choice.

Frankly IF I were recruiting someone and that was a big concern (discounts) of their's I'm not so sure we would go further in the recruiting process.

Again I have no issue with CAP members, as CAP members getting discounts.  We don't need "wanna bees" stealing discount benefits that are suppose to be for military personnel >:( :-[ :(   
RM

Serious question, expecting a serious answer: Why are you here, both in CAP and on this forum?

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

usafcap1

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 05, 2012, 07:27:51 PM
Does this thread have anything to do with the, "Are we active duty" thread?   :o

As a sidebar:

Umm no. . . they have nothing to do with each other. . . If you look at my perviuos posting history you look will see that I ten to post back-to-back posts.

Spelling does not matter!!!!
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

manfredvonrichthofen

I must admit that it is nice to get offered a military discount, I still tend to get them because people see my Army Id in my wallet, yes I still carry it with me, I just can't bring myself to take it out. But I also have my CAP ID in one of those clear pockets in my wallet and have been asked what cAP is, and so I give them my recruiting speech and let them see it. Then I usually end up inviting them out to a meeting and they never show... But I usualy end up getting 10-20% taken off my bill. But to say that we should expect a military discount is absurd. I don't even think it is right to ask for a military discount if you are AD. It is easy enough to recognize when someone is or was in the military just by the way they Cary themselves, but that just might be because I was too so it is easier for me. But at any rate I would tell them that it is possible that someone may notice your uniform or ID and offer one, but we are not really entitled to it, but it does happen somewhat often.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on May 06, 2012, 02:01:50 PM

RM

Serious question, expecting a serious answer: Why are you here, both in CAP and on this forum?

I enjoy being a member of the CIVIL Air Patrol and am an active contributing member to my unit and also assist my wing within my personal limitations.  I have achieved wing level yearly awards in more than one functional area of CAP.  I produce results just wearing a golf shirt with appropriate grey pants, etc :angel:    BTW I do understand why there are wanna bees in the organization.  .

IF you or anyone else don't like what I post, than don't read it. :angel: Surely anyone reading these forums can formulate an opinion on the dynamics that are going on with some members here. :-X

An unintended consequence with adult "civilians" wearing military style uniform is just the overall general public confusion this contributes to, and the distinct possibility of getting a benefit that is reserved for military personnel.  Even from a public relations standpoint during ES operations, it's challenging to differentiate Civil Air Patrol as an organization with other military services, which in my opinion hurts us overall.   

Now again, there's some large national retail chain stores that have always offered military discounts, to active, retired, reserve/guard members as well as their dependents.  I think one has also extended this discount to all military veterans, at least during some portions of the year (So a CAP member that is also a military veteran is eligible for this).    That same national chain also offers merchandise gift certificates to non profit organizations, such as CAP.   

Furthermore, let me AGAIN emphasize that IF a national, regional, or local business makes an informed decision to specifically allow discounts to Civil Air Patrol members, I have absolutely NO issue with this, and I sure we all could come up with some additional retailers with specific merchandise we'd like to see discounts from.

I would think that new National HQ development office should also be looking at expanding these type of CAP member benefits/discounts.   Hopefully they won't be asking for a monetary cut in the purchase action, which may very well prevent a discount deal. 

The bottom line is Civil Air Patrol members are not in the military and are not entitled to any discounts or benefits that have been set aside for military members.  It's surprising that National HQ, via a standards of conduct, doesn't reemphasize this to the field on a regular basis.   HOWEVER, in the end it's up to every CAP member to do the "right thing" if an inappropriate benefit/discount is offered.

RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 06, 2012, 03:57:07 PM
I enjoy being a member of the CIVIL Air Patrol and am an active contributing member to my unit and also assist my wing within my personal limitations.  I have achieved wing level yearly awards in more than one functional area of CAP.  I produce results just wearing a golf shirt with appropriate grey pants, etc     BTW I do understand why there are wanna bees in the organization.  .

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

So as a CAP "recruiter" prospective members actually ask you that?  You must be talking to weird bunch. Ive been involved with CAP since 1986 and I really dont think Ive ever heard it come up. 

You started a thread about using the USO, whether or not we are "active duty" and now wanting to know about military discounts.  In police work we call this a "clue".  There is one way you can take advantage legitimately of all those things and thats to to join up dude. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: usafcap1 on May 06, 2012, 02:37:56 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on May 05, 2012, 07:27:51 PM

As a sidebar:

Umm no. . . they have nothing to do with each other. . . If you look at my perviuos posting history you look will see that I ten to post back-to-back posts.

Spelling does not matter!!!!

::)