Ethics - what does respect mean to you?

Started by bflynn, March 21, 2012, 12:14:53 PM

bflynn

An intersting thought this morning - the four core values of CAP are Integrity, Respect, Volunteerism and Excellence.  But what do these mean?  Rather than do all four at once, let's focus on just Respect in this thread.

What does Respect mean to you?  How well do you think that meaning is applied in CAP?

Майор Хаткевич

There should be a "baseline" respect for everyone and everything.

Anything beyond that enters the "respect must be earned" category.

Walkman

I think it means that we treat others correctly. At the least, we are civil and polite one to another. On the higher end of things, we look for the best in everyone and always try to give others a fair shake and a square deal, no matter what their position, race, religion, etc. It means that we can agree to disagree, but that those who don't follow our same viewpoint aren't to be treated as enemies.

RickFranz

Respect to me means simply, treating others the way I would like to be treated.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

bflynn

I read from someone in another thread that respect is just an aspect of integrity.  I think the two are related, but not the same.  Respect is basically having integrity with other people.  But Integrity is really about yourself. 

Integrity is doing things right with an internal focus?
Respect is doing things right with an external focus?

I think those work for me for right now, but I'm always open to hearing more.

manfredvonrichthofen

Respect is acknowledging everyone's importance, no matter how small. And accepting their weaknesses as well.