Just returned from Arlington

Started by TCMajor, July 11, 2010, 11:00:51 PM

juicedude10

Quote from: JC004 on July 20, 2010, 03:34:51 AM
Quote from: juicedude10 on July 19, 2010, 11:52:50 PM
The Old Guard that patrols the Tomb Of the Unknown is Wicked!

er...I guess you could put it that way. 

I can assemble some of my Arlington photos for people to see if anyone would like.  It's kind of just a start, so there is much to be done yet, but maybe some people not so close to Arlington as I would be interested in seeing some of them.  *shrug*

How is it not?

SarDragon

It depends entirely on your particular definition of "Wicked," which may differ significantly from someone else's definition. It is a very subjective description.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

"Wicked" is not a word I imagine any of those who guard the Tomb would use to describe themselves.

Read up on here, and perhaps your opinion will change.
http://www.tombguard.org/FAQ.html

bosshawk

The use of the word "Wicked" probably is one that the current generation uses freely and without all of the connotations that some of us "more mature" folks would use.  Lets not be too harsh on the OP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DakRadz

Quote from: bosshawk on August 25, 2010, 09:53:15 PM
The use of the word "Wicked" probably is one that the current generation uses freely and without all of the connotations that some of us "more mature" folks would use.  Lets not be too harsh on the OP.
As a 17 year old and a cadet officer three times over, I'm still far from the maturity level of many adults on here, and have a long ways to go to improve my own maturity.

That said, I still wouldn't use the word wicked to describe the Old Guard, a Funeral Detail (proper term?), or any other solemn duty such as these. I rarely use "wicked" in this sense anyway, but the point is I don't use slang at all in reference to such duties.

I get the connotation juicedude is using, but I still disagree with it. Yes, it's a compliment, but it's... Well, you've got me there- I see it as immature.

Майор Хаткевич

I always thought that "Wicked, man!" was saying from the 60's-70's some of the more liberal plant loving folks used...definitely never heard it used by my friends...

JC004

I just never really thought that particular word when I've been there.

juicedude10

To all of you,

Sorry, for not completely remembering that you guys are a lot older than me..but..I meant it as cool, and in a sense, respectful, for what they do..I didn't mean to cause any of that..cause I'm only 13..but my ex-Army officer Dad thinks they're cool too, and he was a PL., so he had to write out letters to his friends/boys/men in Desert Storm/Shield.

I think it's cool that everyday, through rain, snow, sleet, hail, everything, they're out there..for example, my Dad knew this one guy in the 3rd Infantry, (Old Guard), and he was telling my Dad a story about when he was out there, in the snow, they wouldn't leave, and it was freezing, and at the end of the day, on there hats, the snow piled up, and he had a nice 3 inches.

Chappie

Quote from: juicedude10 on August 26, 2010, 01:55:33 AM
To all of you,

Sorry, for not completely remembering that you guys are a lot older than me..but..I meant it as cool, and in a sense, respectful, for what they do..I didn't mean to cause any of that..cause I'm only 13..but my ex-Army officer Dad thinks they're cool too, and he was a PL., so he had to write out letters to his friends/boys/men in Desert Storm/Shield.

I think it's cool that everyday, through rain, snow, sleet, hail, everything, they're out there..for example, my Dad knew this one guy in the 3rd Infantry, (Old Guard), and he was telling my Dad a story about when he was out there, in the snow, they wouldn't leave, and it was freezing, and at the end of the day, on there hats, the snow piled up, and he had a nice 3 inches.

Having served as a youth pastor in the days of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble...and worked with youth most of my life (and having two sons)....I was familiar with the word you used and understood completely what you were  intending to convey....they are "awesome"..." "they rock" ..."they blew me away"... but as I sit rocking back and forth in my rocker listening to my arteries harden...I know that you meant to say, "The level of professionalism and dedication  demonstrated by these young soldiers  was not merely impressive...their attention to detail overwhelmed me."  Thank you for sharing your experience...it is great to see the appreciation for those who serve that you expressed being  embraced by you and others in your generation.  Continued success in your CAP career and life endeavors.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

juicedude10

Quote from: Chappie on August 26, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
Quote from: juicedude10 on August 26, 2010, 01:55:33 AM
To all of you,

Having served as a youth pastor in the days of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble...and worked with youth most of my life (and having two sons)....I was familiar with the word you used and understood completely what you were  intending to convey....they are "awesome"..." "they rock" ..."they blew me away"... but as I sit rocking back and forth in my rocker listening to my arteries harden...I know that you meant to say, "The level of professionalism and dedication  demonstrated by these young soldiers  was not merely impressive...their attention to detail overwhelmed me."  Thank you for sharing your experience...it is great to see the appreciation for those who serve that you expressed being  embraced by you and others in your generation.  Continued success in your CAP career and life endeavors.

The beginning was quite funny about Fred Flintstone and that, and thank you for understanding what I meant, and than explaining it some more, which I failed to do, so thank you!

DakRadz

Watch it cadet- Chappie fondly remembers Mr. Flintstone and Mr. Rubble; you would do well not to mock them.

;)

I get that you are awestruck by the Guard. You obviously didn't mean disrespect, so it's all straight up homie so maybe we can move on now :D

juicedude10

Quote from: DakRadz on August 27, 2010, 03:26:44 AM
Watch it cadet- Chappie fondly remembers Mr. Flintstone and Mr. Rubble; you would do well not to mock them.

;)

I get that you are awestruck by the Guard. You obviously didn't mean disrespect, so it's all straight up homie so maybe we can move on now :D

Sir,

I didn't mean to mock him, I was laughing at the fact that he brought it up, but wouldn't the same thing be said about your comment that you crossed out? 

& Your with the 101st?

Thrashed

I was on a DC tour last week with a bunch of foriegn exchange students.  One stop we made was Arlington.  Let's just say I was real mad at the visit.  I tried to show them the importance and history involved, but they just wanted to sit in the shade and listen to thier MP3's.  I got them to the Marine/Iowa Jima memorial, but that was all.  They didn't even go near it. They wouldn't listen to the history.  I took my wife and kids through the rest and left the Europeans under a tree.

Don't even get me started on the French students playing in the water fountain at the WWII memorial!  >:(

Save the triangle thingy

bosshawk

Thrash: an unfortunate series of incidents, but not too surprising.  The Europeans don't seem to be taught much history and they certainly have mostly forgotten that we saved their A________s during and after WWII.  If you had been in Paris and had made a mockery of the Arch of Triumph or Napoleon's Tomb, you would still be in the pokey.  I have been to France a number of times and I can never wait to get out of Paris: the French countryside is a different story.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Thrashed

I've toured Paris and all over Europe, but I'm a student of history.  I respected those countries and thier history.  It just bothers me that most of today's youth (our own included) could care less about the past and what others have purchased for them.  These exhange students actually passed on a tour of the Air & Space Museum for the Hard Rock Cafe!

Save the triangle thingy

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Thrash on August 27, 2010, 05:12:02 PM
I've toured Paris and all over Europe, but I'm a student of history.  I respected those countries and thier history.  It just bothers me that most of today's youth (our own included) could care less about the past and what others have purchased for them.  These exhange students actually passed on a tour of the Air & Space Museum for the Hard Rock Cafe!

I was going to say...it's not just Europeans.

Besides, I'm a European-turned-US Citizen, so I get both perspectives.

And I'd just like to point out, that hadn't it been for Hitler's paranoia about the Soviets, England and the rest of Western Europe would probably still be hailing to this day. Needless to say, the American's would lack allies, staging grounds, and the will to try to liberate Europe if England went under.

DakRadz

Quote from: juicedude10 on August 27, 2010, 12:32:18 PM

;)

Sir,

I didn't mean to mock him, I was laughing at the fact that he brought it up, but wouldn't the same thing be said about your comment that you crossed out? 

& Your with the 101st?
I was kidding about the Flintstones...  ??? That's why I used a smiley- I was kidding.
The crossed out words were a joke to break the ice. hehehe, now we get it? ;D

Me? 101st?? Or were you asking someone else? I'm not in the military (yet), and I won't be going Army at all, so no, I'm not in the 101st...

juicedude10

Quote from: DakRadz on August 27, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: juicedude10 on August 27, 2010, 12:32:18 PM

;)

Sir,

& Your with the 101st?
I was kidding about the Flintstones...  ??? That's why I used a smiley- I was kidding.
The crossed out words were a joke to break the ice. hehehe, now we get it? ;D

Me? 101st?? Or were you asking someone else? I'm not in the military (yet), and I won't be going Army at all, so no, I'm not in the 101st...

I knew you were kidding about the Flintstones..haa, and the crossed out stuff, I knew you were kidding as well, and yes your 'Unit:' thing says Curahee, once the motto of the 101st Airborne, once an Eagle always an Eagle.  And I'm going Army when I'm old enough, and from Princeton ROTC (I hope). 

DakRadz

Currahee*

That's the name of my squadron- we are located at the original Airborne training area (same town).
I'm a cadet- cadets can only be Reservists or officer cadets (ROTC, academy) in the military, or they will be transferred to SM status.
Okay, time to either stop posting (and I mean me too) or get back on topic.

HGjunkie

Quote from: JC004 on August 26, 2010, 12:04:03 AM

I read his book, To Hell and Back. It's a pretty good read, if you can comprehend what they're saying.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF