Main Menu

Wannbe's (USDRC)

Started by JayT, March 12, 2010, 05:46:05 AM

davidsinn

Quote from: Strick on March 14, 2010, 12:12:03 AM
Quote from: Spike on March 13, 2010, 10:23:36 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 13, 2010, 07:34:59 PM
This same type of mistaken identity takes place also with CAP personnel dressed in military type BDU's.   Again this is why I advocate us (especially seniors) going to the Blue BDU's and also Blue Flight Suits.  I would hope that at least CAP personnel would state who they really are and what we do and not take credit for thanks for something they are not >:(

I think it is better for CAP to be "distinctive" and known/identified as Civil Air Patrol rather than be mistaken for being military personnel.

Radio......we have heard this here on CAPTALK before.  You are in the minority, and well frankly, many of us are tired of hearing this same thing over and over again. 

I guess you missed the bright blue and white branchtapes on the BDU's that say "Civil Air Patrol"??  How about the polo shirt?  The Air Force wears a Polo Shirt now.....do you want us to get out of that.  The Blue Flight Suits and Blue BDU's CAN and HAVE been mistaken for military before.  In fact......the military used to wear similar items.  I think one area in the AF wore a blue flight suit up until last year if I am not mistaken.

Stop with this put-down of CAP and it's members for choosing to wear the uniforms that the Government says we can wear legally.

+1

I have been mistaken for a LEO before while wearing BBDU. I learned something at a recent SAREX that convinces me that it being mistaken for a cop in the woods while chasing an ELT could get you dead. Granted being mistaken for military under the same circumstances wouldn't be any better but I really don't want certain types thinking I'm coming for them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on March 14, 2010, 02:55:04 PM
I learned something at a recent SAREX that convinces me that it being mistaken for a cop in the woods while chasing an ELT could get you dead.

Being anyone in the woods could find you dead if you stumble across the wrong spot.  Drug growers and wooded meth labs have the possibility of getting anyone in trouble should you stumble across it.  National Forests and parks are havens for these people because there isn't anything that can tie them to the spot should it be discovered.

We had a GT of ours stumble across a Meth Lab in the woods on public land.  With it mostly comprised of cadets, that would have been a huge tragedy should something have gone wrong.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 14, 2010, 04:10:29 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 14, 2010, 02:55:04 PM
I learned something at a recent SAREX that convinces me that it being mistaken for a cop in the woods while chasing an ELT could get you dead.

Being anyone in the woods could find you dead if you stumble across the wrong spot.  Drug growers and wooded meth labs have the possibility of getting anyone in trouble should you stumble across it.  National Forests and parks are havens for these people because there isn't anything that can tie them to the spot should it be discovered.

We had a GT of ours stumble across a Meth Lab in the woods on public land.  With it mostly comprised of cadets, that would have been a huge tragedy should something have gone wrong.

I learned that drug runners are dropping their payload with an ELT attached and they are DF'ing it themselves. Thus your target could be the bad spot to stumble upon. I have heard about coming across meth labs or drug grows and those concern me too.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vento

To really be distinctive and hi vis in SAR missions, we should wear ORANGE flight suit and also design ORANGE BDUs.  >:D Hard to be confused with other armed forces nowadays and ORANGE fits SAR and ES quite nicely and be part of the big family of the SAR community. Orance BDU plus Air Force issued reflective belts may even reduce the number of incidents we have during cadet activities.  >:D

heliodoc

vento

You are using tooooo much common sense for CAP  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Major Carrales

Let just keep our uniforms as they are and leave the mission as the prime objective.   That is true commonsense.  Those uniform critics who keep making these comments, as above, are just as guilty of "uniform-a-gaugery" as anyone else.   

That said, if we remember not to lose touch with why we are here then the uniform matters little, just wear it in accordance with the REGS as is required by the policies and procedures.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Fuzzy

Quote from: vento on March 15, 2010, 05:50:32 PM
To really be distinctive and hi vis in SAR missions, we should wear ORANGE flight suit and also design ORANGE BDUs.  >:D Hard to be confused with other armed forces nowadays and ORANGE fits SAR and ES quite nicely and be part of the big family of the SAR community. Orance BDU plus Air Force issued reflective belts may even reduce the number of incidents we have during cadet activities.  >:D

We would also fit in with the county prison system quite nicely as well. Don't they uses big white 15 passenger vans too?
C/Capt Semko

tsrup

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 15, 2010, 06:26:29 PM
Let just keep our uniforms as they are and leave the mission as the prime objective.
^^^^^^^
This +1,000
Paramedic
hang-around.

Spike

Let just keep our uniforms as they are and leave the mission as the prime objective.

What mission??  It is clear by those in National Leadership positions that their mission is "uniforms".  So to follow suit, we should adopt the same mission.

I kid.....I just wanted to express how ridiculous CAP looks to an outsider that stumbles across these uniform debates and policy letters etc by our leaders.

heliodoc

^^^^^^ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Careful, Spike.....CAPTalkers will take you to task for that blasphemy  >:D

Major Carrales

Quote from: Spike on March 15, 2010, 06:44:04 PM
I kid.....I just wanted to express how ridiculous CAP looks to an outsider that stumbles across these uniform debates and policy letters etc by our leaders.

Yes, but these uniform topics are internal discussions by people who are in little position to do more than influence policy via the clever "cut of their typed word." 

I am more concerned about the outside world reading the various "insults" exchanged here...some of them instigated by non-members or the "CAP political" machinations that sometime come here born of speculations and inuendo more than fact.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Earhart1971

This is an interesting thread, in that we could be talking about OURSELVES and our own members and their need to be important and wear a uniform.

How many CAP Lt Colonels are in CAP with 10 years OR LESS SERVICE?

Ticket punchers and such.

How many only wear the Blue Coat and Ribbons and Wings and attend every Wing Conference, Region, and National meeting?

How many have 4 to 6 weeks paid vacation per year to devote to CAP?

We could be complaining about something that is pretty close to home.

heliodoc

Speculation and inuendo abound in CAP, Maj Carrales

The membership has almost a little say in CAP. 

CAP "political machinations?"   There IS plenty-o-that going on in CAP.  Some folks would rather tell others that it does not exist and their are plenty with their heads in the sand.

When the day comes.... CAP in a new or completely different uniform...how are folks going to react then?

Who IS that joker who invented the CAP blue Smurf suit, anyway?  How did folks react to that silly rag?   

How is that for an insult?   Hope for a change in uniforms for the CAP...but do not hold your breath......otherwise there won't be any personnel for CAP's 3 core missions!!!

tdepp

Quote from: tsrup on March 15, 2010, 06:29:55 PM
^^^^^^^
This +1,000
Indeed. 

Reminds me of a quote (probably apocryphal) attributed to the BBC's Director General: "If it weren't for all these TV shows we have to produce, we could get our work done."  Our mission is not uniforms, it's disaster services, cadet training, and aerospace education.  When you join you know the regulations on the uniforms (or you will soon after).  Can we accomplish our missions in the uniforms we have?  I think the answer is yes. 
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Major Carrales

Quote from: heliodoc on March 15, 2010, 06:59:54 PM
How is that for an insult?   

The insults of which I spake are not of specifically your comments, but rather all those times when people feel the compulsion to insult someone on here.

Commander
SWR-TX-454