First Encampment: Senior Member Packing List

Started by Crazy_About_CAP, June 26, 2018, 11:07:41 PM

Crazy_About_CAP

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help. Newbie alert!

I joined CAP (Indiana Wing) with my son in November and have been accepted as a TAC officer for encampment in July.

Is there anything besides what is on the cadet packing list that I should not be without?

https://www.inwg.cap.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/INWG-Encampment-Packing-List.pdf

-Tim

Modified: Added URL for packing list.

I_Am_Twigs

The list looks pretty complete to me, only thing I see missing is a watch.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Crazy_About_CAP on June 26, 2018, 11:07:41 PM

I joined CAP (Indiana Wing) with my son in November and have been accepted as a TAC officer for encampment in July.

Is there anything besides what is on the cadet packing list that I should not be without?

https://www.inwg.cap.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/INWG-Encampment-Packing-List.pdf

-Tim

Modified: Added URL to packing list.

Not trying to be pedantic, but standardization of various terms is trying to catch up.

No more "TAC Officer." The new nomenclature is "Training Officer."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 26, 2018, 11:37:02 PM

-Tim

Not trying to be pedantic, but standardization of various terms is trying to catch up.

Idaho must still be behind on that one too  ::) we still have "TAC Officers" we like to call them TACOs
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

GaryVC

The belt for the ABU is sand not blue. As a senior you may not need ABUs or PT gear but check with the senior TO or whoever is responsible.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on June 26, 2018, 11:55:01 PM

-Tim

Idaho must still be behind on that one too  ::) we still have "TAC Officers" we like to call them TACOs

When I was a Tactical Officer, I barely tolerated being called a TAC Officer. Being called a "TACO" was something up with which I would not put.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Crazy_About_CAP

No worries, this is my first post, and it's good to know. Incidentally, the job description PDF says TAC Officer, but the acceptance letter says Training Officer;D

Eclipse

Familiarize yourself with the documents found here, maybe even bring them with, including
the student documents.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/encampment/encampment-curriculum

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Looking forward to my first Indiana Wing encampment too.
Even for a TAC/Training officer, that list is pretty well complete, even bringing PT clothing, if nothing else for sleeping.  Maybe a few suggestions for you to think about, but certainly not required:  a can or two of your favorite air freshener (student funk will be strong after a couple three days), a couple of black sharpies, bandaids and moleskin.
A couple of suggested items straight from the command team:  A sense of humor, some patience, and a willingness to word hard and have fun.
It's going to be a great week.

Edit:  I'd certainly give the documents linked a perusal, but no need to bring them with you.  We'll have guides available when you get there.  If not, I'll give you my set.

Slim

TheSkyHornet

If your Encampment is anything like ours from last week, be prepared for the need to provide (to others and yourself) plenty of moleskins, neosporin, and Tylenol/Ibuprofen.

Lucky for me, in treating someone else's foot injuries (assuming this was the source), I earned myself two finger infections >_> That's what I get for not wearing gloves...

swodog

Is that pronounced TAAAAAKO or TACO? ;D

-Tim

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 28, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
If your Encampment is anything like ours from last week, be prepared for the need to provide (to others and yourself) plenty of moleskins, neosporin, and Tylenol/Ibuprofen.

Most encampments have a Health Safety Officer and a budget for that stuff, not to mention that even OTC stuff
needs to be tracked.

Check with them before spending money, and especially before giving out anything, even snacks.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2018, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 28, 2018, 01:24:32 PM

Most encampments have a Health Safety Officer and a budget for that stuff, not to mention that even OTC stuff
needs to be tracked.

Check with them before spending money, and especially before giving out anything, even snacks.

True.

However, keep in mind that the role of your HSO is not to act as a nurse/medical staff member, but to advise on health-related issues.

We had a supply cache of OTC items and bandages; however, training officers had extra supplies on hand that were shared among the senior members regardless of their availability to cadets. The packing lists are generally developed to prepare for assisting cadets (and seniors often forget to take care of themselves).

I had my own first aid kit that I had to tap into nightly for myself or my senior counterparts, not to mention having to swipe some ibuprofen off my cohorts.

I think we were averaging about 4 hours of sleep for seniors, so be prepared for that.

Spam

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 29, 2018, 03:25:21 PM
I think we were averaging about 4 hours of sleep for seniors, so be prepared for that.

Hey, SkyHornet, that's not good, pal!

You have my sympathy, though. I've experienced staying up late getting the plan of the day for the next day complete and then dying during PT with the cadets at dawn... and then we stopped doing that. Nowadays, aside from the odd night where you have to stay up (e.g. a cadet injury and ER visit you have to support, following which you should be on excused, mandatory rest duty until noon), senior members should be getting a full night of sleep as well. To be AVERAGING 4 hours is a safety issue as well as an impact on good training.  The safety implications are serious (e.g. inattention while driving cadets, while in HAAs like rappelling and firearms familiarization), and as sleep duration and quality decline you may end up with short tempers and bad decision making (e.g. Georgia Wing cashiered a Commandant of Cadets years ago who punched one of the TACs in an argument - both were short of sleep on a Thursday morning). "Don't Be That Guy", right?

So, for our newer SMs and new Encampment staff - that's not normative - don't accept that, I would say.  You need to carve out sleep time and curtail ALL activity outside rest hours, by mandate. If you don't have the manpower to plan/staff/execute and supervise the events and the number of cadets you have planned, then you need to reduce the scope of the event, and/or reduce the number of cadets accepted (so be it). Encampment leadership needs to check on this (also a final check before departure - see the CAPM 60-70 Handbook, Section 2.10.d to review the participants sleep plan prior to releasing them to drive home).

Ned - suggest this might be a good thing to address in the next update to 60-70.

V/r
Spam

TheSkyHornet

Well, take into consideration that Encampments get structured to ensure the students have their 8.5 hour rest opportunity free from interruptions.

So if you schedule, say lights out from 2100 until 0530 (8.5 hours), that still leaves the cadre and senior staff with their additional work requirements. Cadet cadre have to have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep time, which is a pretty challenging feat as most cadre seem to stay up beyond that to finish up tasks for the next day. Don't forget the downtime the cadre is permitted to have throughout the day.

If wakeup is at 0530, that means staff should expect to be up prior to that to be prepared. This excludes the several middle of the night wakeups we had of the "I don't feel good" crowd.

This is pretty consistent with my previous Encampment experiences. Some people get a decent rest. I'm not fortunate enough for that. Some got naps in during the day. Didn't happen for me. Between the late night stuff a few of us had to get done and morning prep duties, it was a tight schedule.

But I'm not new to that type of an environment. Just be prepared to not get 8 hours of cozy time to yourself.

Spam

Truth there!

So, a derived requirement then for a SM packing list:  caffeine supplements.

;)

Cheers
Spam