Is this Really Appropriate?

Started by Eagle400, April 04, 2007, 04:26:27 AM

Eagle400

Quote from: CaptLord on April 04, 2007, 07:36:54 PM
The only offensive thing in it was the pudgy "Hard Core" 1st Sgt ( and his unauthorized whistle, maybe a little bit)

I think that's one thing we can all agree on.   

Quote from: CaptLordThese kind of things are a basic part of the Cadet Programs culture. Take a chill pill. Remeber, Ronald Reagan, the finest President ever to live, danced in uniform on film!

That's a good point, sir.  I didn't think of that.  I'm going to review my history (and take a chill pill).     

Major Lord

Actually, I received a couple of PM's and a phone call about my comparison to rap and mental retardation. I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologize to any retards I may have offended. Hey , I mean that! Sincerely. No, really.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Pylon

Quote from: CaptLord on April 09, 2007, 03:15:46 AM
Actually, I received a couple of PM's and a phone call about my comparison to rap and mental retardation. I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologize to any retards I may have offended. Hey , I mean that! Sincerely. No, really.

Capt. Lord

As someone who works in the developmental disabilities field, I think it's great the people are finally moving away from using "retarded" as a derogatory or negative word.  For years, many parents of children with developmental disabilities have continually fought to remind their children there is nothing inherent to be embarrassed or ashamed about having mental retardation (still a legal and medical term).    And there isn't.    So we should not perpetuate the stigma that there is by using the word "retarded" in a perjorative sense.

One step at a time... 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on April 09, 2007, 03:23:32 AM

Capt. Lord

As someone who works in the developmental disabilities field, I think it's great the people are finally moving away from using "retarded" as a derogatory or negative word.  For years, many parents of children with developmental disabilities have continually fought to remind their children there is nothing inherent to be embarrassed or ashamed about having mental retardation (still a legal and medical term).    And there isn't.    So we should not perpetuate the stigma that there is by using the word "retarded" in a perjorative sense.

One step at a time... 

By the way... is that developmentally challenged kid still running around trying to give you hugs 24/7?
GEORGE LURYE

Major Lord

Quote from: Pylon on April 09, 2007, 03:23:32 AM

Capt. Lord

One step at a time... 

You know, one of the signs of high level autism is the inability to understand sarcasm....

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Pylon

Quote from: CaptLord on April 09, 2007, 12:33:27 PM
You know, one of the signs of high level autism is the inability to understand sarcasm....

Capt. Lord

I understood your post just fine and replied indirectly by posting that it's great that people (aka: society) is finally beginning to avoid negative use of the word.

Moving back to the original, ridiculous topic...

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 09, 2007, 04:22:24 AM
By the way... is that developmentally challenged kid still running around trying to give you hugs 24/7?

Which one?   :)   

And when are you coming for a tour?   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Related to the original topic, I recently learned to do a Google Video search for "Civil Air Patrol".  There are a handful of CAP related videos out there, most of which are made by cadets.  While I haven't really seen anything too embarassing or legally questionable, I can see it happening at some point.  One video [barely] showed cadets doing PT in the dark.  You could barely see them due to the lack of lighting.  Now there were either getting "smoked" at night for misbehaving or doing PT really really early in the morning.  Either way, it could be seen as unsafe for cadets.

I'm no whiner and I support CAP PT to include all sort of exercises.  But sometimes you have look at things in a different light to make sure someone else isn't going to slam you.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

I thought this video was hilarious ;D

LittleIronPilot

I thought it was funny-ish and lame...but lame in a laughable *groan* kind of way, if that makes sense.

For those offended, have you seen the class projects that most Air Force and Navy pilot trainees make? Very similiar stuff, some of it even lamer, all of it while in the zoom-suit.

Heck...I have to give them credit for just being creative and working on something fun and positive!

Grumpy

It's truly a sad thing when we are so caught up in our own world that we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: SarDragon on April 04, 2007, 06:30:09 AM
To quote Sgt Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis!"

As a member of CAWG, and a former cadet, and someone who doesn't particularly like rap music, I thought it was funny, and inoffensive.

I second the motion. Seems like something that would naturally come out of California.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

flyguy06

Well, I like rap music, and I thought it was funny

Hawk200

I didn't find it offensive. Somewhat amusing, some of the talent could use a little improvement, but all in all, it's pretty creative.

My reaction was more of an eyeroll with an "Okaaay", rather than "O my ....., they did not do that!"

It was obviously a team effort though. For that, I've got to say it's a positive thing. And I'm betting most of the military and CAP members I know wouldn't really have any problem with it.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 22, 2007, 10:48:06 PM
I second the motion. Seems like something that would naturally come out of California.

Oh, gee, thanks....    (Ok, ok, it's true.   ;D)

PhoenixCadet
A Proud Californian

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 24, 2007, 04:51:09 AM
Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 22, 2007, 10:48:06 PM

Oh, gee, thanks....    (Ok, ok, it's true.   ;D)

PhoenixCadet
A Proud Californian

I spent two years in California commuting between home in Tracy and work in San Jose dodging falling house prices, astronomical food prices, drought, earthquakes, fires and rap music like that.

I successfully escaped to Michigan where I am now quite happy, Dude.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

floridacyclist

I think mine and my kids favorite music videos on Youtube are "Mullet Biker Mafia" doing Sting's "Renegade", and the remake of "This is why I'm hot". Both are actually quite good.

This is why I'm hot
This is why I'm hot
This is why, this is why,
This is why I'm hot
I'm hot 'cause I'm deployed
You ain't 'cause you're not
This is why, this is why,
This is why I'm hot
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org