Main Menu

Because I care!!!!

Started by Stonewall, October 04, 2012, 07:04:50 PM

Stonewall

In the past couple of years I have written 3 papers on diet, nutrition, weight loss, and exercise.

After a few sidebar conversations here on CAP Talk and recently looking at some pictures of a wing's CP website, I was once again reminded that America is putting on the pounds, and many of our members are leading the way.

People ALWAYS take offense to this subject, but I don't care if someone's feelings are hurt.  Just ignore it and it'll all be okay.  But physical fitness is a part of the cadet program and as adult mentors and leaders, we should be setting the example for our youth to follow.

I am not immune to this issue either.  For about 4 years of my life I found myself porking up after 3 major life changes; a move, career change, and having my first child all within a month of each other in 2006.  It took its toll on me and my health paid the price.  Sure, I was still active in the gym and could run the 1 1/2 mile on my PT test in 10:40, but I was heavier than I had ever been in my life.  I believe I crossed into the 230s, but I never wanted to confirm it by jumping on the scale.  I am now at my goal weight of 195 +/-, and have been for almost 2 years.

In 2010 I took action.  If you want to read how, feel free to read what I've attached below.

I wrote "Nutritional Article" in late 2010 and is probably a little dry.

I wrote "Lower carb meal plan" in 2012 after a friend asked how I did it.

I wrote "Hitting that ninety percent on the AF PT test" in 2012 as well, after people asked how I lost weight and managed a 99.3% out of 100 on the AF PT test.

Read them, igore them, or tell me they suck.  I won't be offended, but I truly believe there is a real problem in America and even CAP, and it needs to be addressed.
Serving since 1987.

Cool Mace

CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Critical AOA

It is all about desire.  Watch what you eat and get active and the pounds will drop off.  Stop and the pounds come back on.  I know.  In 2000 I weighed in at 255 lbs and decided to take action.  In a little over one year, maybe 14 months, I dropped down to 180 and was able to stay around that level for a few years by watching my diet and being active.  I have since gotten a bit lazy and have not watched my diet as well.  Since about 2003 I have slowly put the pounds back on and now am up to 220.  Dropped 75 lbs in 14 months gained 40 back in a period of about 9 years.  All my own doing, both directions.   

I will take a look at your articles as they may help in my efforts to drop again which I have been told by my commanding officer, General Wife, to do.  I always try to follow orders from such a high authority. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ColonelJack

I'm in the same boat, David.

On my 50th birthday (2008), I weighed approximately 300 pounds.  I began a 1,000-calorie-per-day diet that day, figuring that I'd like another 50 birthdays and being a heart attack looking for a place to happen was not going to improve my chances of achieving that goal.

One year later, on birthday 51, I weighed 169 pounds.  I was at my high school weight and felt fan-freaking-tastic.

I kept the weight off for much of the next two years, but like you, I let myself get lazy.  I'm now over 220 again and have reached a renewed determination to get back down at least under 200.

I know what took the weight off the first time; it's time, I see, to do it again.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

It is a problem.

However, as I said in another thread, I take various prescription medications.

Many of these have weight gain as an unfortunate side effect.

I try to exercise, but it's like pulling teeth to keep the weight off.

I could stop taking the medication and watch the weight drop, but my wife would likely soon be a widow if that happened.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: CyBorg on October 04, 2012, 07:57:34 PM
It is a problem.

I try to exercise, but it's like pulling teeth to keep the weight off.

I could stop taking the medication and watch the weight drop, but my wife would likely soon be a widow if that happened.
I am sorry to hear that. I can relate to it somewhat with what my mom has gone through.

As I've also stated in another thread, his advice is solid and if I were 21 I would owe him a beer or few. Anyone looking to lose weight should listen to his advice! I am serious, he has helped me out and I am now on the right track to losing weight healthy and steadily, and my uniform is fitting better too  :)

Stonewall

Quote from: CyBorg on October 04, 2012, 07:57:34 PM

I will not argue with you as I do not know you and I can only take you at your word, which I do.

Similarly, I have an acquaintance who I have to be around a few times each month that is also on some medications that have weight gain as a side effect.  But then, I see his diet.  Pizza, Chinese, and Mexican buffets on a regular basis, and then there's the regular soda and/or sweet tea.  Plus, he's a huge fan of dessert.  Yet he lays blame solely on his medications.  This guy burns zero calories a day via exercise, yet he consumes (I'm spit balling here) at least 3,500 calories each day.  But the medication is the cause...

As I preach day in and day out, it is 80% diet/nutrition and 20% exercise.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Weight gain of fat is a product of one factor - ingesting more calories then are burned.

Medications can only slow your metabolism or cause you to retain more water then normal, they can't manufacturer
weight from free energy molecules.

Sometimes this is unavoidable, as being "alive" is preferable to being "dead-skinny", but as Stone says,
a lot of people have horrible diets and sedentary lifestyles and then blame medication.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

The following is from an article on Johns Hopkins web site.
QuoteThe reasons why some medications cause weight gain are not always clear, but in many cases a drug increases appetite or makes people crave certain foods. For example, the weight gain associated with the use of insulin is probably due to the fact that insulin can lead to periods of hypoglycemia, which stimulates appetite. Some drugs alter metabolism, causing the body to burn calories more slowly or to store fat.

Some corticosteroids, for example, make the body less able to absorb blood glucose, and this can lead to fat deposits in the trunk and weight gain. Other medications produce fatigue or shortness of breath, making the person less active (the antihypertensive drugs known as beta-blockers are thought to have this effect), or can cause water retention (a side effect of antihypertensive calcium channel blockers). 

So yes, medications can complicate things but it does not necessarily condemn you.  For instance, if your meds increase your appetite, then just pay closer attention to what you eat and exercise a bit more than before.  If it slows down your metabolism, same thing.  If your meds causes fatigue or shortness of breath, then slow down your pace but don't stop.  The thing is that you might have to make adjustments or try harder because of your meds but do not simply accept a fate of being overweight. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

dadunkindude

This is an issue I wrestle with constantly, not because it affects me personally, but because I feel it effects recruiting efforts and the image of the CAP. Granted, my scenario is a little different than most. I am assigned to a military installation with a town that only exists because the base is present. 90%+ of the population is military or retired military. Thus, the obesity problems that plague other cities is reduced because of the heavy military influence and active duty PT requirements. Because of our small town size and isolated location, our unit is comprised of personnel that are all "in shape." Since we're so isolated, the notion that "all CAP members are in great shape" becomes the accepted norm because that's what's prevalent here.

I have an Active Duty enlisted member who's considering becoming an SM. I took him to an event to introduce him to some other SMs who are active in the Wing who are not AD military. When we got to the event, I saw a look of bewilderment (horror?) on his face. He leaned over to me and whispered "guess CAP PT standards are way different for officers." What I realized was that he was so used to seeing officers in an active duty setting, that he was overlooking the uniform and focusing solely on the rank. Regardless if the individuals present were wearing an approved uniform for their weight, it's tough to remind oneself that the standards for the AD military and CAP are different.

I understand that it would be tough to get CAP to modify its standards. CAP allows people to participate in a military-esque setting that would not be admitted to the "real military" due to medical conditions, weight, age, disability, etc. This diversity and acceptance is a positive aspect of CAP and part of what makes the program great. I also understand that CAP is not the "real military." But the more I thought about what the TSgt said though, the more what he said made sense.

It boils down to image. To the average (un-informed) person, there is no difference between the real military and CAP. All they see when we're out and about is a different colored name tape but the same rank structure the military uses. It's tough for people to disassociate what they see from what they percieve, especially when CAP wears military uniforms and is the auxiliary of the USAF.

There is an image of what an officer should be. We push our cadets to excel on the PT test, and embrace an active lifestyle. We are the leaders of the organization and expect the cadets to follow our example. What example do we set when we don't participate in PT? In addition, PT is required for cadet rank advancement. Why not the same standard for SMs? You want to go up in rank, you have to pass a fit test, just like the cadets. If you have a medical condition, you can get a waiver for a particular component just like the cadets do. I feel that until PT becomes an integrated part of the SM program like it is with the cadet program, the issue won't go away.

Like I said, I probably have a unique situation because of our geographic location and a unique perspective because I serve on Active Duty as well as being involved in CAP. I know the two programs are different, but it's mighty hard to look at a CAP officer and know that someone who's grossly overweight and would never be allowed to wear a military uniform can continue to participate in CAP with no incentive to change their lifestyle.

I apologize for the long post...
1st Lt, USAF
Squadron Commander, Mountain Home Composite Squadron
Mitchell Award Recipient
2010 USAFA Graduate

Eclipse

It sounds like your members are making assumptions no one is correcting when they join - not good for anyone, because it
is likely to foster either isolation, or inappropriate attitudes if they participate outside the unit.

Since there are no "PT Standards" for adult members, the first question to ask would be where any one of your people would get that idea.

It sounds like it might be a good time to have an all-hands meeting and explain how CAP really works.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

When I first joined CAP as a cadet, senior members DID do PT. Often on the same nights as cadets. Even senior members that didn't meet weight standards were expected to meet the PT requirements. I believe even under the early years of the Corporate structure there was a PT requirement that magically disappeared by the 1950's.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Terry W.

Great topic. Not to try to derail the thread, but how many SM's here participate in PT with the cadets. I know the Cadet leadership runs the PT sessions however being a SNCO I like to give instruction on things that may help improve such as stretching or different techniques to build them up. It seems most units only focus on the physical fitness test instead of generating a physical fitness program to show improvement. This is apparent by the number of kids I have ran into that only do the exercices when it's test time.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Terry W. on October 04, 2012, 10:25:43 PM
Great topic. Not to try to derail the thread, but how many SM's here participate in PT with the cadets. I know the Cadet leadership runs the PT sessions however being a SNCO I like to give instruction on things that may help improve such as stretching or different techniques to build them up. It seems most units only focus on the physical fitness test instead of generating a physical fitness program to show improvement. This is apparent by the number of kids I have ran into that only do the exercices when it's test time.

Unfortunately the issue is that most cadets ONLY do PT for the PT Test. While NHQ wants us to do more, I get pushback for saying our cadets need more drill than 20 minutes / week and sometimes less as "we don't have enough time". Now, moving onto the SM side of the house, I've seen a SM run PT once or twice with the cadets. I plan on participating in at least the run with the cadets, mainly in the back with the last group to motivate them, and for my own benefit. I used to do that as a cadet when I had already checked my PT box, and I had the same help from a C/Capt when I was new. When you struggle with the run, sometimes having a run buddy just makes it easier to keep going.

SARMan

Its true. A lot of SMs are too fat to even be seen in uniform
Ranger 1st Class, GTM1, all that stuff....

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SARMan on October 04, 2012, 11:15:45 PM
Its true. A lot of SMs are too fat to even be seen in uniform

They make the G/Ws in pretty big sizes.

Ned

Cadets and CP seniors already know about CAPP 52-18, The Cadet Physical Fitness Program. 

It has some terrific chapters on nutrition, fitness training (warming up / cooling down, training regimens, circuit training, etc.),  and leadership, in addition to chapters on testing, hot weather safety, etc.

It is a great resource for all our members, whether or not they work with cadets.

Devil Doc

Im not running 3 miles a day or going on 8 mile force marches like I used to. I sit in my "Swivel Governement Issued Chair" at work, and stare at a compter all day. So fun. Get 30 minute Lunches, nice messages left on my work phone, and threatened on a daily basis!! Just love my job.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 04, 2012, 11:34:05 PM
Im not running 3 miles a day or going on 8 mile force marches like I used to. I sit in my "Swivel Governement Issued Chair" at work, and stare at a compter all day. So fun. Get 30 minute Lunches, nice messages left on my work phone, and threatened on a daily basis!! Just love my job.

Welcome to life!  Again, I'm not sure what your limitations are with your injury, but I know there are ways to stay fit, even with challenging obstacles in your way.  2 guys from deployment last year lost their legs below the knee on the same patrol.  This happened on 8 May 11.  By October (5 months later) one ran the Army 10 Miler and another set a goal of smoking the Air Force PT test, which he did, with a mid-90s score.  If you can move your body, you can get in shape.

But again, 80% diet/nutrition!!!

You're a desk jokey, I get it.  I spend at least 50% of my day riding a desk, but I take the time to think through my meals, and I eat out for lunch every single day!  That's right, I EAT OUT FOR LUNCH EACH AND EVERY DAY!!!! 

Doc, if you can be 100% honest with me as to what foods you consume throughout the day, I can help you get back into blues/BDUs.  I promise!
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Your not the only one ;D We are fortunate to get an Ex Air Force Nutritionist as part of our SM Cadet prpgram. She says i will have you in blues in no time. Ive ben trying, ben drinking diet soda, trying not to snack so much, and trying not to eat when depressed/anxiety.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

SarDragon

Quote from: Terry W. on October 04, 2012, 10:25:43 PM
Great topic. Not to try to derail the thread, but how many SM's here participate in PT with the cadets.

When I was with the composite squadron, I did PT with the cadets. I've never been good at the sit/reach, but could keep up in the other areas. At 55, I could run the mile faster than about half of the cadets in the unit. I'd place in the upper third in situps, and the lower third in pushups.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ned

Factoid for the Nutrition Information Advocates:

I am a runner. 

It takes me almost exactly 90 minutes to run 11 miles.  According to the charts, I burn about 1400 calories each time I do that.

By an amazing coincidence, a Big Mac, large fries, and Coke together have almost exactly 1400 calories.

It takes far, far less time and effort to not eat a Big Mac and fries than it does to run 11 miles.

So take the easy way out -- just don't eat Big Macs!  ;)

With determination and practice, you could not eat a Big Mac almost every day while avoiding blisters and shin splints.

Save the time for useful things like CAP.

Ned Lee

FW

^ +1

With many states now topping 35% of its residents with a BMI of over 29, we all need to rethink what we eat and do. Public Health experts predict half of us will be obease in the next 7 years (2020).  What a sobering thought.  :o

My weight began creeping up in the last couple of years.  I decided to get out and start walking and eating healthier choices.  I'm now back to my "target weight" however, the icecream and cookies cry out to me every so often. At least I can still fit into my blues and, my Mooney, lol.   :angel:

Stonewall

And that's why Ned is The Man!

My workouts vary day to day, but 90% of the time it involves between 45 & 60 minutes in the gym and minimum of 30 minutes spent doing cardio. Some days involves a 3-5 mile run (500-800 calories) followed by a crossfit workout while other days include a 1 1/2 mile run with some weights.  Then there are the cardio-only days, like today, where my goal was burning a minimum of 1,000 calories, i.e. 50 minutes on the arc-trainer.

The other 10% of the time has me doing some sort of silliness outside running trails, swimming, mountain biking, or strapping on the old ruck sack.

But like Ned said, just avoid putting that bad stuff in your gut and you won't have to worry about the working out.  I always use a can of coke as an example.  A can of coke has about 150 calories.  It takes me 7 1/2 minutes running at an 8 minute mile pace to burn 150 calories. This, according to the computer of course.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Out of curiosity, did anyone that downloaded an article read it, like it, have any feedback?  Good or bad?
Serving since 1987.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Stonewall on October 05, 2012, 12:35:40 AM
And that's why Ned is The Man!

My workouts vary day to day, but 90% of the time it involves between 45 & 60 minutes in the gym and minimum of 30 minutes spent doing cardio. Some days involves a 3-5 mile run (500-800 calories) followed by a crossfit workout while other days include a 1 1/2 mile run with some weights.  Then there are the cardio-only days, like today, where my goal was burning a minimum of 1,000 calories, i.e. 50 minutes on the arc-trainer.

The other 10% of the time has me doing some sort of silliness outside running trails, swimming, mountain biking, or strapping on the old ruck sack.

But like Ned said, just avoid putting that bad stuff in your gut and you won't have to worry about the working out.  I always use a can of coke as an example.  A can of coke has about 150 calories.  It takes me 7 1/2 minutes running at an 8 minute mile pace to burn 150 calories. This, according to the computer of course.

I consumed my last carbonated beverage right after encampment in August and haven't had one since. I switched to tea which has done wonders. I don't have muscle spasms like I used to. I sleep better, my allergies don't bother me as much, and I feel a little more energetic, which is weird. Now if I can only do something about my addiction to fast food...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Larry Mangum

Stonewall,  I have downloaded and read all three and am going to set down and go over them with my lovely wife this evening. We have both been trying to cut back on carbs and this is just further encoragement.

Thanks for the articles!
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

adamblank

Stonewall,

Great articles.  I didn't get too far out of range for my weight but I wanted to lean up.  I took a few months really changed my diet and lost 15 lbs.  Similar method of just better planning of exercise, and improving my diet. 

Adam
Adam Brandao

Stonewall

Because it's inevitable that we all end up going to fast food restaurants sooner or later (some sooner and more often), I was thinking about listing what I would get if I went to Mc D's, BK, KFC, etc.  People are often surprised that I eat lunch out every day of the week, yet I claim that I'm eating healthier than the average person.  When I get some time later I'll do this.

FWIW, I woke up and ran 4 miles this morning then spent 2 hours mowing and doing yard work.  Now it's off to Gander Mountain to get a few things for this year's camping season...
Serving since 1987.

Patterson

The statement "eat less, burn more" is getting old now!  Unfortunately the blame for a person being fat is not shared by society, like some other diseases. This problem did not happen overnight, it has literally taken place over the past century.

Why does child "A" have a metabolism that allows him to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, while child "B" must starve and deprive himself everything child "A" is allowed but still ends up fat??

We all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

If I come off as a jerk, I am not at all sorry!  Please stop lecturing on a topic we get lectured about nearly everyday. If the majority is fat, then perhaps standards need changed. Either that or actually research why a baby is born with a predisposition to being fat while the baby born in the next room is predisposed to never being fat.

Garibaldi

Wow. I smell troll, and I think somehow RM got out of his box. Never seen this guy's name before yet he's a seasoned member?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:14:48 PM
The statement "eat less, burn more" is getting old now!  Unfortunately the blame for a person being fat is not shared by society, like some other diseases. This problem did not happen overnight, it has literally taken place over the past century.

Why does child "A" have a metabolism that allows him to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, while child "B" must starve and deprive himself everything child "A" is allowed but still ends up fat??

Partly because child "A" is probably more athletic in the first place. The more exercise you do, the more your metabolism changes to compensate for the extra calories being burned. Child "B" is the kid who, for whatever reasons, doesn't get as much exercise as child "A".

QuoteWe all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

If I come off as a jerk, I am not at all sorry!  Please stop lecturing on a topic we get lectured about nearly everyday. If the majority is fat, then perhaps standards need changed. Either that or actually research why a baby is born with a predisposition to being fat while the baby born in the next room is predisposed to never being fat.

The standards are just fine. The participation is flawed.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, my weight stayed fairly constant while I was in the Navy. I got regular exercise and ate a reasonable diet. After I retired, my exercise level went down, and my weight went up. I still meet the AF standard in the 39-1, but my body fat measurements put me in the overweight category. When I get active, and exercise more, even if it's incidental, like a lot more walking, my weight goes down.

Calories burned must be greater than calories taken in. It is, for most people, that simple.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Perez

I came from the opposite end of the scale. Before I joined CAP, I was one of those skinny 6 ft kids who couldn't lift much more than an xbox controller. Since I joined CAP, I've participated in 5ks, run a triathlon, graduated PJOC, and maxed out my CPFT for the past two years. The biggest problem I've seen for CAP as an organization is that people often drive a wedge between cadets who are seen as "fit" and those who aren't. People automatically assume that you're the judgmental type, and anytime somebody mentions nutritional education, or exercise at CAP meetings; somebody screams hazing.

Most senior members I know of haven't even heard of 52-18, and don't want anything to do with it. I hope national can find a way to encourage more squadrons to maintain effective PT programs, instead of just testing monthly.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Stonewall

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:14:48 PM

We all get that fatness is bad. But those of us who have struggled with the prospects of being overweight and focus our waking attention on eating "healthy" are tired of it. I would trade nearly anything to be the dude who never exercises and eats whatever and whenever and never gains weight.

Emphasis mine.  I see, the old "we can't meet a standard, so let's lower it. I gotcha!

I have never done the research so I won't claim to be the expert, but my wild guess is that fewer than 10% of overweight people are in that situation solely because of a "medical condition".  My cousin is one of them.  That girl is 300 lbs and has been clinically diagnosed with some sort of condition that will not let her get skinny.  I won't pretend to know anything about it, to include the name of the condition, but I know she's had life threatening issues because of it.

Now, the other 90% +/-....IT IS 100% IN YOUR CONTROL.  I don't care what people tell themselves, but nutrition and caloric intake is highly misunderstood because people just don't comprehend the cause and effect.  It's hard to believe that a can of coke with roughly 150 calories and how much sugar (20+ grams) can harm your body.  People are often in denial as to what they actually shove down their throats.  I WAS ONE OF THESE PEOPLE FOR A PERIOD IN MY LIFE.  I'm not speaking from something I read in a book, I spent almost 4 years snorting sugar and taking shots of ketchup.  My diet was HORRIBLE.  The entire time I was working out 4 to 5 days a week in the gym; running, lifting, etc., but my exercise could not compete with my terrible eating habits.  Just think if I HADN'T BEEN WORKING OUT!?!?!?!?!

This HUGE LADY in the accounting department at work had some sort of surgery to lose weight.  After a couple of years, she's the HUGE LADY again.  Why?  Hmmm...I'm sure it's society's fault, but she's one of those "I always have a reason to eat" type people.  Friday is "DOUGHNUT DAY" and yes, she brings the Krispy Kremes in EVERY FRIDAY.  On Friday I saw here eat THREE DOUGHNUTS....I politely said no.  But I'm sure her issue is society's fault.  Probably the Republican party's fault as well.

Obesity is a chronic issue in the world and more so in the US.  I think if people took control and held themselves responsible for their own actions, much like they should when it comes to finances, then the problem would be less of an issue than it is today.

But let's just adjust the acceptable standard.  It's much easier that way.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Btw, I dusted my old tread mill off, and started to walk/jog for bout 20 mins, and been drinking water, and tryibg not to consume so much food. its anstart
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

jimmydeanno

It seems to me that the research has been done, and the standards are a result of that research.  Patterson is just a troll, discontent with anything and everything. 

Either way, if he's sick of "eat less, burn more" it can easily be turned into, "eat less, burn the same."  The message is the same - Eat Less.  The majority of overweight people eat too much.  Certainly there are exceptions to the rule, and some people have it easier than others, but when it comes down to it people don't pay attention to what they eat.

They'll have cheerios in the morning, with milk.  Which is fine.  However, it'll be 3x the suggested serving, making the 140 calorie breakfast almost 450.  Combined with the 3 cups of coffee w/ sugar:  25 calories/tsp of sugar=75 calories + the coffee at 20 calories = 95-100 calories. So just off a bowl of cereal and coffee, we are almost at the 1/2 way mark for the day.  Add a glass of OJ and it becomes about 1/3.

Then we have lunch, so we stop at Mc D's and get a Big Mac meal.  The burger has 550 calories, the fries (large) is another 500, and the large soft drink is about 300 more (1,350 calories total).  Add to breakfast and we are at our suggest intake for the day.  But wait, we haven't had a snack in the afternoon, a few cans of soda, an ice cream, or DINNER!

So, it's said that an overage of 500 calories each day for a week will add a pound of fat.  To lose a pound you'd need to have a 500 calorie deficit.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ProdigalJim

:clap: :clap: to you both!

Medical conditions *can* create a propensity to obesity...but dedication and modification of lifestyles can help keep it in check. Long-term, high-dose steroids, thyroid conditions, and a few other things like that can pack on the pounds, but some of that can be countered by not just going to the gym, but embracing everyday opportunities for physical activities: park at the *back* of the parking lot when you go to the store, instead of car-sharking around waiting for the closest spot; use the stairs; carry your bag, instead of dragging it on roller-skate wheels (this one drives me especially nuts...seeing people dragging six-ounce bags behind them on wheels in the Washington Metro!); if your work is sedentary, computer-based, get up and walk around every hour; for those with typical suburban postage-stamp lawns, use a push-mower instead of a powered one. Stuff like that really helps.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I was a kid, I was anaemic and very underweight.

It was like that basically until the medication regimen I am on now.

If some aren't buying it, saying it's an excuse, etc., that's unfortunate.  I have talked to both my doctor and my pharmacist about it...both of them concur, and it's not just one med, I take three daily, ALL of which have weight gain as a side effect.

At the risk of being labelled a "troll," I get a sense of shaming going on for those who aren't able to get out and run a decathlon.

I also have muscle/bone issues from a near-lifetime of violence to my person, put simply.  I basically had to learn to walk again at one point in my life, as a result of back injuries.  I have to see a chiropractor almost weekly to get some relief from the pain.  That's a hell of a lot better than popping Vicodin or OxyCodone, as I see it.  I am 46 and chances are by the time I'm 56, I will be walking with a cane.

My wife is a diabetic and does her best to manage it.  As soon as the doctor diagnosed her, he also referred her to nutrition classes as part of her treatment plan.  They've been successful for her, thank God, and now she doesn't have to take medication.

My mother was a diabetic, made no attempt to manage it, ate all the crap food she wanted.  She was almost blind at the time she died.  One of my maternal uncles was a double amputee from diabetes...didn't manage it either.

My doctor has said that 20 minutes of walking five days a week is good for me.  I try to do that.  I'm not always successful.

I quit drinking "regular" (sugared) pop over 20 years ago.  I quit drinking alcohol (except for Communion wine on Sunday morning) over a decade ago.  I try to practice portion control, even when I go out to eat.

Some of us do try, even with other obstacles.  My screen name, CyBorg, is only partially in jest as some days I feel like one.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Stonewall

For those of you dusting off the gym membership cards or your personal home exercise equipment, I'd like to mention that if you're trying to lose weight DO CARDIO!  20 minutes is NOTHING.  When I was at my peak weight (almost 40 lbs heavier than I am today) I spent between 40 and 60 minutes doing cardio at least 5 days each week.  On the days of 40 minutes I would spend 20 minutes working out with some weights.

And FWIW, 90% of all home exercise equipment ends up not be used after 90 days.
Serving since 1987.

AngelWings

I've been running with a 25 pound rucksack on my back for a while now. I feel a new energy when I wake up now and I am looking better already! The weight is coming off, and inbetween my stresses of my biological dad dying yesterday, I've found this type of running to help me really keep my mind clear and to relieve stress! Along with a halfway decent diet with minimal carbs and controlled portions, my clothes are fitting much better. Thank you Stonewall!

EDIT: Step dad is fine, just not my biological one.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AngelWings on October 07, 2012, 02:49:06 AM
I've been running with a 25 pound rucksack on my back for a while now.

Count yourself fortunate that you can do that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2012, 03:02:28 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on October 07, 2012, 02:49:06 AM
I've been running with a 25 pound rucksack on my back for a while now.

Count yourself fortunate that you can do that.
I do. It's tough, but I am too. I'm able to get healthy, so I am going to. I do not have any reason to take for granted my overall good health.

CAP4117

Amen. Never take your health for granted. I've been learning that over the last few months, unfortunately.

Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2012, 02:16:31 AM
At the risk of being labelled a "troll," I get a sense of shaming going on for those who aren't able to get out and run a decathlon.

CyBorg, you sound like a very strong person. I really respect you for what you have overcome. There's never any shame in that.

Devil Doc

Quote from: Stonewall on October 07, 2012, 02:27:56 AM
For those of you dusting off the gym membership cards or your personal home exercise equipment, I'd like to mention that if you're trying to lose weight DO CARDIO!  20 minutes is NOTHING.  When I was at my peak weight (almost 40 lbs heavier than I am today) I spent between 40 and 60 minutes doing cardio at least 5 days each week.  On the days of 40 minutes I would spend 20 minutes working out with some weights.

And FWIW, 90% of all home exercise equipment ends up not be used after 90 days.

I can only run for 20 minutes on the treadmill. If I run anymore than that I will have to pop pain meds. I have a very sensative back. Let me explain: so you have a better understanding.

When I was injured I was hit by 3 155 tank rounds, which blew my door off and I went flying with it. I landed about 100 feet away.

I now have a Herniated Disc in my lower back. Along with a Pinched C9-T1 Cervical Nerve. I get muscle spasms at random. They have also spotted a few bone spurs along with DDD in my spine. I can walk and run just fine, if however, I tweak my back wrong, I will be out for the count for a day or two. If I sneeze or cough wrong, my arms and upper back go numb, along with my grip. If I bent more than 40 degrees my back will start to spasm, or a muscle with tighten up and I will be stuck in that position for a few minutes. I cant even hold my newborn without support, because my arms will start going wreak.

These may all sound like excuses. I will tell ya, when you have "Mental" issues along with these it will really mess with your head. It will make you depressed  because running the 3 miles or doing 5k and 10k are no more. I wish everyday I was with my men in Afghan instead of keeping the couch warm. This is why I joined CAP to help keep me Motivated, to use my skills, and to feel like I am apart of something again.

Running that "20" mins on the treadmill is a feat for me it is a small step for weight loss, a bigg step for my psychy.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Doc and others, I come across as an a-hole and I know it.  I used to be worried about it, but I got over it.  But none of my comments are directed at any one person on this forum or elsewhere.  I have become desensitized to excuses after experiencing my own set of excuses along with thousands of others from the top down.  The fact is, people who don't even have a legitimate excuse still have excuses. 

Only YOU (no one in particular) know what you're capable of and know YOUR limits. 

My physical issues
- Ankle hasn't been right since 1996 due a nasty fall in the Army
- Left shoulder still requires surgery due to a 2006 training accident
- Left arm has nerve damage (goes numb and my fingers tingle) following a 2011 incident in A-stan
- L1 compression fracture in back due to trauma
- Herniated disk in L5 which was corrected to 70% via surgery
- Knees haven't been the same since 4 years in the Infantry and crackle every step I take

Emotional issues
- I'll admit it for the first time openly, right here.  I was diagnosed with PTSD and I 100% disagree with it.  But the docs say so, and I continue to argue it.  I'll get over it.

I'll go back to what I always say, time and again...IT'S 80% DIET/NUTRITION!!!!  If you are incapable of performing physical activity for an extended period of time, you can still control your food intake.

Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on October 07, 2012, 12:27:07 PM
I'll go back to what I always say, time and again...IT'S 80% DIET/NUTRITION!!!!  If you are incapable of performing physical activity for an extended period of time, you can still control your food intake.

True. I exercise very little (so far) and on Wednesday I officially hit 45 lbs down solely based on dietary changes and choices.

I know I'm always going to have to eat. But I'm not always going to be able to exercise. Better choices, limiting intake, eating out less, etc has done wonders for me. Ultimate goal is 55-60 lbs (who knew I had that to lose?) total with running and other aerobic exercise thrown in as the weight on my knees gets less (my knees are my weak link. Family history of crappy knees coupled with knowing I need to make these knees last...)

I hate working out, hate running. Always have (made life in the Army tough). But as I joked to Ned Lee once while discussing his penchant for running: "Your hour long run burns the approximate equivalent of a Big Mac. Why not just not eat the Big Mac in the first place?". That's where I start.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Doc and others, I come across as an a-hole and I know it.  I used to be worried about it, but I got over it.  But none of my comments are directed at any one person on this forum or elsewhere.  I have become desensitized to excuses after experiencing my own set of excuses along with thousands of others from the top down.  The fact is, people who don't even have a legitimate excuse still have excuses. 

I'm not going to call you an a-hole or anything else, but the fact is that if you know you come across that way, and that it is offensive to others, the only one who can change it is you.

My own opinion is that you are overzealous and you commit the logical fallacy of hasty generalization.  You have added a disclaimer that you're not directing your comments to any one person...but you do not seem to take into account that not everyone metabolises food in the same way.  Are you an endocrinologist?  If not, then you commit the logical fallacy of appeal to false authority, by making a statistical syllogism reducing the general to the specific.

When you present your opinion about people who don't have legitimate (in your opinion) "excuses" as "fact," then you commit the logical fallacies of errors of fact (since you or I cannot possibly know everyone's individual circumstances to know if they are "making excuses" or not...you can only speak for yourself) and argument from personal astonishment.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

I'm going to repeat Stonewall's bottom line, because this still what it's really all about:

QuoteI'll go back to what I always say, time and again...IT'S 80% DIET/NUTRITION!!!!  If you are incapable of performing physical activity for an extended period of time, you can still control your food intake.

That is fact. It is inescapable. There's no opinion there at all. No matter how he, or I, express it, that's one of the great rules of life.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Varga Guy

Well, this is a timely discussion. Here's an article from a blog I follow....pretty much runs along the same theme.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/10/06/canipe-correspondence-the-fitness-debate/

As for myself, lost some weight by changing my diet, but I can't call myself fit. Been a long time since I've been in some sort of fitness program. Want to get back into running, got the shoes, but have yet to hit the trail. Reading all this is giving me renewed impetus to actually plan out the when & where to run, which has been a major weakness of mine.

NIN

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 07, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
I can only run for 20 minutes on the treadmill. If I run anymore than that I will have to pop pain meds. I have a very sensative back. Let me explain: so you have a better understanding.

Then do 20. Hell, just do 15.  But doing something is better than doing nothing, in most cases.

(obviously, if you have medical issues that preclude certain activities, thats different)

Guys, I was 237 lbs 11 months ago. I'm down to 192.  20 of which is in the last 60 days.

Slow and steady wins the race.  There are more benefits to more fitness than disadvantages.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2012, 03:30:29 PM
I'm not going to call you an a-hole or anything else, but the fact is that if you know you come across that way, and that it is offensive to others, the only one who can change it is you.

I come across as an a-hole and I know it.  I used to be worried about it, but I got over it

As I said, it used to concern me, but then I realized it wasn't worth it.  It's called tough love.  I found, through my almost 20 years of military service, that a) the truth hurts, b) being brutally honest is tough, c) most people say they want you to be honest with them until you are. 

But as I said, nothing I said was directed at anyone in particular on this site.  I have met but a few people on CAP Talk, and the ones I have, I trust them more than I trust most people.  Again, I don't know anyone's personal situation, nor do I pretend to.  I have given examples of people I have come in contact with over periods of time and their excuses are all the same.  If anyone takes offense to what I say, know that it is NOT directed at you.  If you feel that it is, that's on you. 
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on October 07, 2012, 11:25:45 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on October 07, 2012, 11:45:34 AM

Then do 20. Hell, just do 15.  But doing something is better than doing nothing, in most cases.

I have a rule about starting out with a workout regimen.  "Go in a straight line!"

What does that mean?  Well, if you want to get some exercise and if walking is your thing, then walk  (slog, jog, run, ruck) in a straight line for a period of time.  Don't do laps, go in a straight line.  Why?  Because you have to do the exact same distance to get back home!!!!  If you walked 20 minutes, you have to walk 40 minutes by default.  If you can only run for 10 minutes, then you'll end up walking back, and more than double your cardio exercise to roughly 25 minutes.

Define slog?  Sure, a "slog" is a slow jog...an airborne shuffle of sorts.
Serving since 1987.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Stonewall on October 08, 2012, 12:14:39 AM
It's called tough love. 

One must be careful, because the line between "tough love" and haranguing someone is quite blurry.

Quote from: Stonewall on October 08, 2012, 12:14:39 AM
I found, through my almost 20 years of military service, that a) the truth hurts, b) being brutally honest is tough, c) most people say they want you to be honest with them until you are. 

I have found, through a lot of life experience, that:

a) "Truth" is often in the eye of the beholder.
b) The difference in being "brutally honest" and just plain "brutal" is very much down to the way you present it.
c) Fallacy of hasty generalization.

Saying that it doesn't bother you about how you come off to others, on this or any other topic, could be a way of avoiding responsibility for one's behaviour and its possible effect on your fellow human beings.  I know I'm an a-hole myself sometimes.  It is one of my worst faults.  I try to avoid it...but I also try to make amends to the one who has been harmed by my behaviour when it happens.

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2012, 07:24:47 PM
That is fact. It is inescapable. There's no opinion there at all. No matter how he, or I, express it, that's one of the great rules of life.

Where is it written, or codified into law or Holy Writ, that one's opinion on food intake is one of "the great rules of life?"  When I think of "the great rules of life," I think of the Ten Commandments, the Magna Charta, the U.S. Constitution.  I had never heard the equation of food intake expressed as one of "the great rules of life" until you expressed it as your opinion.

And you are incorrect, sir.  There is opinion there.  Your expression is an expression of your opinion, just as mine is.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Walkman

I agree about the diet thing. I've don't have much time to work out with two jobs among other things, so I've been working on diet. I eat a lighter breakfast & lunch, avoid "bad" carbs as much as possible and I've really turned around in portion control. It's helped. I'm now straddling the line on Blues/BDUs wear, some days I can wear 'em, some days I can't. But, I'm working on it.

My wife is a great success story. She's been overweight her whole life, except for a short time in HS/college, but she got there in unhealthy ways. After 5 kids, she had almost given up on losing weight. She even applied to The Biggest Loser show (didn't make it, she wasn't big enough, lol!). Last year she got into a local Biggest Loser contest at a gym and lost ~30 pounds. Then she did another similar contest, another ~30 pounds gone. She's now down ~70 pounds, has kept it off for a year and is getting ready to do another contest. She's run two 5Ks now and looks amazing. Her whole lifestyle and outlook is different now.

From what I've seen with her, achieving good health is doable. Note that I didn't say getting skinny. I certainly agree that there are some medical conditions that prevent people from being slim n' trim and make exercise difficult. But I really feel like everyone can improve their health in one way or another.

From Ned's thread about CAP having some sort of program for SM fitness:
Quote from: Eclipse on October 08, 2012, 03:52:16 PM
BTW - we technically already have a weight program - it's the table in 39-1 that says who can, and cannot, wear the USAF-style uniforms. 

This really is true. I really wasn't all that happy with my weight until I joined CAP. I needed to lose about 10 pounds to wear the AF-style uniforms. Before that, while I wasn't super happy, there wasn't much to motivate me either. The right motivation is huge in getting healthy! One thing my wife has taught me is that along with diet, there's a HUGE mental component to weight loss.