Now I can die happy!
Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 22, 2007, 07:40:58 AM
Hey!

My picture is in there!

I made Wikipedia!

Now I can die happy!

Give that man a Pabst Blue Ribbon! Waitaminnit... that's not authorized for wear on the CAP uniform!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SAR-EMT1

I know a guy that only drinks pabst and only drinks it Warm. uggh.
Moving on..
That was very neat.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ColonelJack

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 22, 2007, 07:40:58 AM
Hey!

My picture is in there!

I made Wikipedia!

Now I can die happy!

And those pictures of the "berry board" and maroon wraparound are mine!  I made it too!  (But it's a rather hollow victory, really ... since there's already a Wikipedia article about me.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2007, 11:34:55 AM
I know a guy that only drinks pabst and only drinks it Warm. uggh.
Moving on..
That was very neat.

Warm Pabst?  Eeewwwwwwwww......................................................  :P

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Major Carrales

That article was one of the lasting legacies of "Civil Air Portal."I must admit, we need to work on it.  I laid out the original framework last year and many of you contributed photos.

The Portal is now a memory, but thanks to the efforts of the lot of us and Grant H, who moderates the Cadet Stuff Wiki, the information lives on.

Shall we continue working on it?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

Yes, definitely.

If anyone has looked at the wikipedia article lately for CAP, you'll see it has been greatly expanded. It is really turning out nice.

Just type civil air patrol in the search there.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Flying Pig

OH man!  I remember when those maroon epaulets came out.  That was a sad day for the program.

LtCol White

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 22, 2007, 04:33:43 PM
OH man!  I remember when those maroon epaulets came out.  That was a sad day for the program.

I only had one set. I sent on ep to Maj Carrales so he could scare people and I still have one. When went to the marroon, my squadron switched to BDU's for everything unless we were forced to wear blues at gunpoint.

During the phase in period of the maroon, i bought blue eps up to LtCol. I got 5 sets. Have them wrapped in plastic waiting in the event we ever go back to them. I'll be ready to go!!!

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

It would be nice if we could get the blue eps back on the shirts as they used to be with CAP on them. Then, replace the gray on the coat with the same blue eps as the shirt. It would not clash as much as the gray but still be very distinctive since it is an ep and not metal rank.

Wish NHQ would propose this to USAF
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

ColonelJack

Quote from: LtCol White on March 22, 2007, 06:14:00 PM
It would be nice if we could get the blue eps back on the shirts as they used to be with CAP on them. Then, replace the gray on the coat with the same blue eps as the shirt. It would not clash as much as the gray but still be very distinctive since it is an ep and not metal rank.

It may have already been proposed.  Personally, though, I think the epaulets on the AF service coat should itself be gray with metal rank; the gray slip-ons for the AF shirt; and add an embroidered CAP to the blue epaulets we can wear on the corporate uniform combo.  That isn't a bad idea either, I think.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

LtCol White

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 22, 2007, 06:21:42 PM

It may have already been proposed.  Personally, though, I think the epaulets on the AF service coat should itself be gray with metal rank; the gray slip-ons for the AF shirt; and add an embroidered CAP to the blue epaulets we can wear on the corporate uniform combo.  That isn't a bad idea either, I think.

Jack

I have a feeling they prob asked for metal rank back on the USAF coat.  Would be nice if it was the same ep for both uniforms. Gray on the USAF coat looks like poo. And changing the actual ep would be expensive. You're now back to a special production item like the TPU
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Psicorp

Quote from: LtCol White on March 22, 2007, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on March 22, 2007, 06:21:42 PM
Jack
I have a feeling they prob asked for metal rank back on the USAF coat.  Would be nice if it was the same ep for both uniforms. Gray on the USAF coat looks like poo. And changing the actual ep would be expensive. You're now back to a special production item like the TPU

I'm not too concerned over creating "special production" items, sir.  I'd call "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tapes a special production item and look how quickly Vanguard stepped up.  If there is a dollar to be made by Vanguard, they'll make whatever National will tell us we have to buy.

I would much rather see the AF service coat with the old blue epaulet slide with "CAP" embroidered on it than metal rank or the current gray slide.    If we want to maximize Vanguard's profitability, we should have the current gray slides on the gray slacks/aviator shirt combo and the blue slides with the CAP embroidery on everything else. 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol White

well there will always be special production items but to alter the manufacture of the coat as the TPU is, makes it an expensive one.

I bet that if NHQ approached it properly with USAF, they might go for the blue eps on the service coat and the return of blue to the shirts.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Psicorp

Quote from: LtCol White on March 22, 2007, 06:39:48 PM
well there will always be special production items but to alter the manufacture of the coat as the TPU is, makes it an expensive one.

And as long as Vanguard knows there are members who will buy it, I don't think they'll having a problem making it.  I wonder what would happen if no one ordered it.

I bet that if NHQ approached it properly with USAF, they might go for the blue eps on the service coat and the return of blue to the shirts.

It's quite possible.  Not sure who at NHQ I'd want doing the asking though.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol White

Quote from: Psicorp on March 22, 2007, 06:44:52 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 22, 2007, 06:39:48 PM

And as long as Vanguard knows there are members who will buy it, I don't think they'll having a problem making it.  I wonder what would happen if no one ordered it.

It's quite possible.  Not sure who at NHQ I'd want doing the asking though.

Well the cost I was concerned about was the cost to the members to purchase it. Not the cost to vanguard to produce it. Of course they will make it if we have to pay for it.

Well I'm not sure either which is why I said "Approached it properly" It WOULD help with uniformity since all shirts would have the same  blue ep.
The only difference would be the coat and the shirt color
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Monty

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 22, 2007, 02:08:12 PMShall we continue working on it?

I would...if for any reason, to make it a bit more professional than it is.

I have an Air Force colleague with whom I've been chatting recently on some issues that the article would have clarified. 

I had to hold short.

Quite a few spelling errors need to be addressed and well......if the article is for "information only," then it might be best to remove some of the terms that are certainly MORE than just "information only."  (E.g., addressing the maroon insignia as a "fiasco" might not be the most professional method with which to proceed...)

It's a neat read and with some needed tweaks, it'd be a great supplement and legacy!  :)