Temporary Restricted Areas (TRA), Temporary MOAs, and other 'old but new' SUA

Started by Live2Learn, August 08, 2017, 09:04:52 PM

Live2Learn

I received this yesterday, then followed up with the FAA since TRA were defined somewat circularly.  :)

The most recent FAA Notices to Airmen  Domestic/International  dated 20 Jul 2017 shows several large swaths of airspace where high speed flight ops will occur in 'Temp MOAs' some of which will have a floor near the dirt, and also some large 'Temp Restricted Areas' on BLM lands where live fire with small arms, machine guns, and artillery will occur.  See:  https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/media/7_20_17_ntap.pdf   TRA will continue from this date through September.  You'll have to use the Adobe search tool to locate events in your state.  Use terms like 'Temporary MOA, ID'.   TRAs show up in several states, including (but not limited to) NM, ID, CA, OR, GA...

A Temp RA near 29 Palms is painted on my Foreflight iPad app, but I don't know if Temp MOAs will paint.  I'm still researching that.

--------------------------------------

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
FAA Sources for Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) Information
Notice Number: NOTC7310

The FAA will soon begin limited use of a Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) in certain areas when the types of operation(s) to be conducted there require a TRA. The flight rules that apply to a TRA are the same as a Restricted Area (RA). The best FAA resources to view any TRAs upcoming or active are the FAA Special Use Airspace (SUA) website and the Notices to Airmen Publication (NTAP). Please use the following links to access these resources before a flight:

https://sua.faa.gov

www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/

For questions or more information contact:
Scott Rosenbloom
Phone: 202-267-3783
Email: scott.rosenbloom@faa.gov

stillamarine

I didn't like being on the ground onboard 29 Stumps......I'd never fly over it  >:D
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

It's always fun to land on the mat runway at 29 Stumps. Especially in a large (150k plus) aircraft. You will bounce....
Plus right after a thunder storm you get the mud squirting up from between the mats! :clap:

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on August 09, 2017, 12:17:42 AM
It's always fun to land on the mat runway at 29 Stumps. Especially in a large (150k plus) aircraft. You will bounce....
Plus right after a thunder storm you get the mud squirting up from between the mats! :clap:

You guys must be PSP freaks.  I always thought that stuff was "slick" in the literal sense of the word.   :)

SarDragon

Where at 29 Stumps is this mat runway you speak of?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 09, 2017, 09:38:38 PM

The expeditionary airfield on the west end. Complete with a-gear.

PHall

Quote from: Live2Learn on August 09, 2017, 04:24:00 AM

You guys must be PSP freaks.  I always thought that stuff was "slick" in the literal sense of the word.   :)

Not PSP and you use an RSC of 8 when you do your landing data. About half way between wet and snow covered.

stillamarine

Quote from: PHall on August 10, 2017, 01:17:21 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 09, 2017, 09:38:38 PM

The expeditionary airfield on the west end. Complete with a-gear.

SELF sucks to work on. We ran AACG/DACG ops there during CAX every time that I went.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

OK, I had to look in Google Earth. The Google Maps view resolution  isn't good enough to see the holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2017, 03:04:34 AM
OK, I had to look in Google Earth. The Google Maps view resolution  isn't good enough to see the holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's because there are no holes...  You're thinking PSP which is nowhere near strong enough for "modern" aircraft.

Shieldel

Temp RA for 29 Palms is probably due to an ongoing SAR Op there. Non-CAP. My local team in Vegas (Red Rock SAR) may be deploying this weekend for that. Local SAR teams called up for mutual aid.

Sorry to get OT but I knew what that RA might possibly be for

EDITED: Fat fingered enter, pressed done before I was actually done typing
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

SarDragon

Well, you said "mat", the next post said "PSP", and no further clarification was made. The GE view of one section, on my phone, looks like it might have holes, but the view on my home computer doesn't.

They landed C-130s on PSP in Vietnam, so it must be pretty sturdy.

In my research, I did see some stuff called M8A1 matting, which is steel without the holes. That had more extensive use in 'Nam.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

Quote from: Live2Learn on August 08, 2017, 09:04:52 PM
A Temp RA near 29 Palms is painted on my Foreflight iPad app, but I don't know if Temp MOAs will paint
--------------------------------------

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education

https://sua.faa.gov
www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/

Diverting back to the OP...  TRA correctly paint on all versions of Foreflight.  Click within the outlined areas which appear in Foreflight similarly to TFRs and you'll see the underlying data from the NTAP.

O.K.,  discussion of steel mats (with and without holes) can now resume.

:clap:

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2017, 05:43:15 AM
Well, you said "mat", the next post said "PSP", and no further clarification was made. The GE view of one section, on my phone, looks like it might have holes, but the view on my home computer doesn't.

They landed C-130s on PSP in Vietnam, so it must be pretty sturdy.

In my research, I did see some stuff called M8A1 matting, which is steel without the holes. That had more extensive use in 'Nam.

That's the stuff they use at 29 stumps. As for flying anywhere near 29 Palms, it's in a Restricted Area 2501 complex due to all of the LIVE FIRE activities that go on there.

SarDragon

I went there once, and have no desire to return, either in a pane or on the road. My Sweetie lived there for two years and filled me in on what is, and isn't, there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret